Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They were especially shite.

Had they seriously never heard London Calling before releasing this abomination? 

I really liked 2/3 songs off their debut album, saw them at tinthepark and the singer was in a scumdrie top, hated them ever since. 

49 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I will, however, die on this hill:

Maximo Park were / are fucking brilliant.

They are a superb band. Velocity is a tune. 

Someone mentioned the New Radicals earlier, they were actually all just session musicians. They became the house band on the vh1 program ‘Rockstar’, 

In the week that the BBC publishes it's list of top earners, for myself, Kenickie. Lauren Laverne is listed at number seven on the list.

Peel and Lamaq loved them. Possibly had two or three top twenty hits. Record label totally threw them under the bus.

There's an ITV documentary on YouTube that depicts their last tour, and their demise. Worth watching, in my view.

Less than 7,000 monthly Spotify listeners today. Mental for such a talented band, in my view.....

18 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What are they loik?

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

That's a bit harsh. They were the first act to see their first 4 singles debut at No.1 on the chart. 

But hey, c'est la vie 

Rollercoaster, eh? 

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Playing Strathpeffer of all places in October.

I've seen Kaiser Chiefs play there

Apart from their regular mentions on Peep show, Hard-fi disappeared pretty quickly.

Gomez as well after a promising start

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Rollercoaster, eh? 

I've seen Kaiser Chiefs play there

Apart from their regular mentions on Peep show, Hard-fi disappeared pretty quickly.

Gomez as well after a promising start

Toploader, mentioned earlier on this thread, also played there a while ago

Just now, Rugster said:

Toploader, mentioned earlier on this thread, also played there a while ago

It's an amazing wee venue, made famous by The Beatles playing there donkeys ago

6 minutes ago, Venti said:

Mansun seemed to vanish.

Still think they are good.

Seen them at the Showbox in Seattle supporting The Seahorses, Really good lads who we met outside and they put us on guest list. They were good live too even though I only knew Wide Open Space.

6 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It's an amazing wee venue, made famous by The Beatles playing there donkeys ago

They played in Dingwall, not Strathpeffer. They visited Strath pavilion but didn’t actually play

Tones & I. That Dance Monkey song was everywhere in 2019. 

However thankfully I don't think they've done anything of note since.

I assumed the COVID pandemic was divine punishment on humanity as a collective for allowing such a fucking awful song to become so big.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

They played in Dingwall, not Strathpeffer. They visited Strath pavilion but didn’t actually play

2006/2007 (when I misremembered this fact) was a murky year for my memory bank! Those were the days 😂

Edited by Spyro

Just now, Spyro said:

2006/2007 was a murky year for my memory bank! Those were the days 😂

I only know this because my daughter was part of a school concert last year at Dingwall town hall marking 60 years since they played. There’s a wee plaque and everything 🤣

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

so I can scream at folk 'this is what the song Valerie should sound like,

Last time I saw them (can't mind where but it was a year or two after Winehouse covered it) the lead singer proclaimed

"We don't normally say anything but this is our fucking song..." (very Scousely) then Valarie kicked in. 

I have to admit to liking quite a few of the bands mentioned. Not massive fan of any really. Barring Kasabian. They were great, New stuff is pretty shit.

The Enemy first album was brilliant.

I went through the period where for about 5 years TITP was Kasabian, The Killers, Stereophonics, Razorlight, The Kooks etc on rotation. 

I was oot my nut and enjoyed it

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Last time I saw them they were supporting REM @ Loch Lomond, mostly want to see them so I can scream at folk 'this is what the song Valerie should sound like, not being butchered by that warbling Bint Winehouse'.

I vaguely remember that but I was up the top of the hill and up to the nuts in a bottle of whisky at the time.

31 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Around a year ago I attended an open air gig in Dundee that had Dodgy and Toploader on the bill.

The headline act were an ABBA tribute band.

Were you off your tits on Werther's Originals?