Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Skunk Anansie.

I thought they would have been so much bigger than their eventual peak. Skin had an amazing voice.

I never saw their name written down until I was in my 20s and prior to that thought they were a 2 piece band called Skunk 'n' Nancy. 

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

The Darkness. Phoned in sick to T in the Park and never heard from them again. 

Seen them a few times in the last 5 or 6 years. They supported GnR on one of their tours. Not to everyone’s taste but they are a phenomenally good live band.

The Auteurs. They seemed to be constantly talked up in the press in the mid to late 90’s but they never actually done anything as I recall it. The lead singers book is a decent read, all the same.

Linked to that, Kula Shaker. A few decent songs and one cracking cover, then absolutely f**k all.

Johnny Borell/Razorlight. 2004ish the c***s were everywhere. Second album was hyped beyond all reason. Now nothing. Should have stuck in with The Libertines, the gobby p***k.

Edited by Ross.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Seen them a few times in the last 5 or 6 years. They supported GnR on one of their tours. Not to everyone’s taste but they are a phenomenally good live band.

The Auteurs. They seemed to be constantly talked up in the press in the mid to late 90’s but they never actually done anything as I recall it. The lead singers book is a decent read, all the same.

Linked to that, Kula Shaker. A few decent songs and one cracking cover, then absolutely f**k all.

Johnny Borell/Razorlight. 2004ish the c***s were everywhere. Second album was hyped beyond all reason. Now nothing. Should have stuck in with The Libertines, the gobby p***k.

I think The Auteurs just came up at a shitty time. Just prior, there was a little trend of two bands tipped to go supernova, one did and one didn't - Oasis/Whiteout and Suede/Adorable are the ones that spring to mind. When The Auteurs came thru it was in the middle of that New Wave of No Wave thing, with such luminaries as These Animal Men (and to be fair, Speed King was a decent song) and S*M*A*S*H. Those two might be decent candidates for this thread too. 

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not a band obviously, but Emeli Sandè was everywhere then nowhere.

She's still releasing stuff that's being used for movies, touring and writing songs. I think the case for a lot of the people/bands being mentioned here is that writing incredibly popular music over a number of years is incredibly difficult, and they just find a wee pocket of the industry to survive in after their big hits fade from the mainstream. 

I can confirm that The Darkness are still a thing because I'm never done getting Justin Hawkins' youtube channel in my recommendations. Unbearable.

13 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Ahem. Borrell 1 - Wikipedia

The Coral were on telly more often than the news when ‘Dreaming Of You’ dropped; they’ve continued ploughing away in relative obscurity since. See also (if you’re really old) The Frank And Walters with ‘After All’. That led to the label having execrable scouse c**t Ian Broudie re-produce the first album, take all the fun out of it, and then the second one sold about 14 copies. Most recently seen (by me, at least) as the band in the school prom episode of The Young Offenders 

1 minute ago, Buzz Killington said:

@MazzyStar You dissapeared fairly quickly yourself.  Now more famous as a poster on P&B than the band you once were.

Didn’t Hope Sandoval marry William Reid? The wedding snaps should be in a dictionary next to the word ‘punching’ 

6 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

There's been loads of female solo artists who disappeared sharpish.. 

Eliza Doolittle

Kate Nash

Sandi Thom

Pixie Lott

Kate Nash is back, apparently. New album a few weeks ago and played halfway up the bill of that big thing in Brighton last week. The Kooks headlined. *sighs*. 

ETA - and it’s only within the last couple of years the Daily Record have accepted they’re not going to make Sandi Thom a thing and calling someone ‘Scottish legend’ when they don’t sell out Tuts is a bit of a minter. 

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Duffy. Endless radio play for about a year, then nothing.

Good reason for her disappearing, to be fair.