Bands that were everywhere and then disappeared

15 hours ago, The Black Flag said:

Sigue Sigue Sputnik, everywhere then nowhere, utter shit.

How did Tony James career survive that?

I ended up drinking in a Dundee pub with the drummer from Sigue Sigue Sputnik about 20 years ago. Boy was off his nut. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

The Zutons put out some new stuff the other week there, that was a blast from the past. 

Seeing the Zutons in December, they supporting Paul Heaton on his tour.

Last time I saw them they were supporting REM @ Loch Lomond, mostly want to see them so I can scream at folk 'this is what the song Valerie should sound like, not being butchered by that warbling Bint Winehouse'.

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Scouting for Girls had about 4/5 hits when I was in late primary school/early high school. Never really heard much from them since 

My parents went to a campervan rally/music festival about three months ago and Scouting For Girls were playing. The Wurzels, Jason Donovan and Toploader were also playing.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Alanis Morrisette kidded on she was a grunge babe in the 90s and popped up all angsty and shouty at every festival going a couple of years later shewas all dippy hippy India. then f**k all.

She might be on the comeback trail, she played Pitchfork last weekend. 

Who was the poster who worked in a chippy and said that one of their colleagues kept playing Scouting For Girls album on repeat so they put the CD in the deep fat fryer?

I remember laughing at that story.

41 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Most the bands mentioned are either still together or have got back together to cash in on the nostalgia factor.

Take early 00s Nu Metal heroes Limp Bizkit. Few big hits over 20 years ago then relative obscurity. Now the lead singer, Fred Durst looks like yer grandad having some sort of breakdown

image.thumb.png.5326daa13b316dba776670e4aa49e0bb.png

Fred Durst directed a horror movie starring John Travolta as an autistic homeless stalker who kills celebrities.

This is something that happened and is real.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Bands in general have disappeared from the charts, saw a clip of Richard Osman podcast on twitter and there have been 3 weeks of bands being at number 1 in the singles chart in the 2020s. Everything else is solo artists or collaborations. 

One of the three weeks was the Beatles, and one was the live lounge all stars who did the foo fighters song during first lockdown so effectively loads of different individuals. Only leaves Little Mix as a band who would actually tour to have had one solitary week at number 1 in this decade. 

The comparable figures for the first 5 years of the 1980s and 1990s were around 140 weeks. 

It's easier to create a parasocial relationship with fans for a solo artist than it is for a band. A lot of big name popstars seem to rely on that these days.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Bands in general have disappeared from the charts, saw a clip of Richard Osman podcast on twitter and there have been 3 weeks of bands being at number 1 in the singles chart in the 2020s. Everything else is solo artists or collaborations. 

One of the three weeks was the Beatles, and one was the live lounge all stars who did the foo fighters song during first lockdown so effectively loads of different individuals. Only leaves Little Mix as a band who would actually tour to have had one solitary week at number 1 in this decade. 

The comparable figures for the first 5 years of the 1980s and 1990s were around 140 weeks. 

Was watching one of those clips the other week and discovered that his brother Mat Osman is the bass player for Suede.

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

That's a fucking grim statistic. No doubt directly proportional with how many artists are topping the chart with music and lyrics that are written by their record companies and writing teams, and not themselves. Popular music these days has never cared less about artistic merit.

7 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

In my youth it was The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, The Wombats, The Enemy.

They are/ were all shite.

Landfill Indie was an absolutely dreadful era of music.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

My parents went to a campervan rally/music festival about three months ago and Scouting For Girls were playing. The Wurzels, Jason Donovan and Toploader were also playing.

So essentially everyone was swinging and avoiding the music.

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

It was. Britpop as equally to blame for influencing it all. Rock music will probably never recover from it.

I wasn't massively into Britpop at the time, but looking back on it 30 years later you realise there were about five good bands and the rest were utter shite.

I will, however, die on this hill:

Maximo Park were / are fucking brilliant.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I wasn't massively into Britpop at the time, but looking back on it 30 years later you realise there were about five good bands and the rest were utter shite.

Same as it ever was....

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Skunk Anansie.

I thought they would have been so much bigger than their eventual peak. Skin had an amazing voice.

They are still going. THey split for about a decade and came back.They are still fucking great IMO