Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Dumbarton

Outcome   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/24 at 14:00

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2024_08.05-13_21_03.png.efba780073e0967797aea32a38963533.png

Aye, I'm coming round to my thoughts in real time on it. Although I initially thought it was a clash of heads; but it's not. Gilmour goes down holding his head, but the contact is on his back. Really harsh. 

I did wonder if it was a reputation decision. But looking at his career stats, Sena has only been booked 18 times and sent-off once in 137 career games. Which, for a midfield enforcer, doesn't seem like that many.

On highlights I thought on that challenge alone it was harsh. I wasn’t at the game so it may have been an accumulation of lots of fouls. From the refs angle he may also have thought he led with his arm going by the boys reaction. 

17 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Watching that back I'm a bit more torn on the second yellow. It's clumsy. Not dangerous or anything, but just a ball he didn't have to challenge for. If you're on a booking with a really fussy ref just take a second and think 'I'll maybe just take a step back here'.

Our goal is superb. An absolutely thumping finish. And great quick thinking from Finlay to take the throw in and get the ball back.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If Niang isn't on a yellow I don't think he gets one for the second challenge. Silly to do though, he's never winning that header. 

25 minutes ago, RiG said:

Think that second yellow is pretty harsh looking at the highlights.

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2024_08.05-13_21_03.png.efba780073e0967797aea32a38963533.png

Aye, I'm coming round to my thoughts in real time on it. Although I initially thought it was a clash of heads; but it's not. Gilmour goes down holding his head, but the contact is on his back. Really harsh. 

I did wonder if it was a reputation decision. But looking at his career stats, Sena has only been booked 18 times and sent-off once in 137 career games. Which, for a midfield enforcer, doesn't seem like that many.

Yeah, it's not a clash of heads. It's a bit of a late barge in for a ball he's not getting. It's a foul. I'm not convinced it's a yellow and I'd disagree completely with @The Moonster about the second yellow point. If he's not already on a yellow then maybe it's worth one, especially if he's had a couple of other wee fouls on the day which Niang probably had having seen him over the years. When he's on a yellow, then to send someone off for that is pretty laughable.

It's a fairly innocuous foul made to look worse than it was by Gilmour and it's never a red card. Very harsh.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If he's not already on a yellow then maybe it's worth one, especially if he's had a couple of other wee fouls on the day which Niang probably had having seen him over the years. When he's on a yellow, then to send someone off for that is pretty laughable.

Since when did receiving one yellow card change how subsequent fouls should be penalised by a referee? It's either worth a yellow card or it isn't - the interpretation of that is completely distinct. 

2nd yellow was disgraceful. It's clumsy, but the contact is with the ICT player's back/shoulder blade. He crumples to the ground and the ref makes a decision based on the outcome he thinks he sees rather than what actually happened.

Thats never a booking.

I suppose its all about the angle the ref saw it from. From the North Stand, albeit quite far away, it looked like a clash of heads with Niang coming in aggressively.  It doesn't look as bad as that on the replay, but it real time it did from where I was.

49 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Since when did receiving one yellow card change how subsequent fouls should be penalised by a referee? It's either worth a yellow card or it isn't - the interpretation of that is completely distinct. 

I totally agree with this, I just think the situation has come into it here for the ref. He doesn't signal the yellow is for persistent fouling as SD suggests, he walks over, sees it's Niang and then sees how "hurt" the player is before issuing a yellow. If that foul is in the first minute there's no booking IMO. 

We really do need to sort out our defending from corners. For the majority of least season, every team was just piling bodies into our 6 yard box and swinging it in and it was never claimed by our goalkeeper or won by a defender. It far too often resulted in goals being conceded. That goal on Saturday is a perfect example. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I'm well aware of that. Just as you are well aware that in the real world it's absolutely taken into consideration by referees.

I don't think it's worth a yellow anyway, as I already said.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I totally agree with this, I just think the situation has come into it here for the ref. He doesn't signal the yellow is for persistent fouling as SD suggests, he walks over, sees it's Niang and then sees how "hurt" the player is before issuing a yellow. If that foul is in the first minute there's no booking IMO. 

For what it's worth, I didn't suggest he had been persistently fouling, I said it's one of the few circumstances where a foul as relatively innocuous as that might merit a booking.

I agree with you that Gilmour's reaction got him booked (which leads to a red card by default). It's poor refereeing.

The red card incident has to be viewed in the context of a generally mediocre refereeing performance.  Niang's jump was ill-advised but it seemed only when the Inverness player went to ground that the ref considered a card.  Whether he was sufficiently thumped or simply chose to go to ground is for the player to answer but the ref certainly went on the former.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm well aware of that. Just as you are well aware that in the real world it's absolutely taken into consideration by referees.

By terrible referees who don't understand their function in the game, sure. That doesn't make it correct though. 

Is there really so little happening in this league that this absolutely meaningless, nothing red card merits pages of debate? It's lucky The Caley are box office, otherwise this season would be in danger of being a total entertainment vacuum

1 minute ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Is there really so little happening in this league that this absolutely meaningless, nothing red card merits pages of debate? It's lucky The Caley are box office, otherwise this season would be in danger of being a total entertainment vacuum

We're all just a bit giddy with excitement at having a thread with opposition fans on it after two seasons in the League Two forum. 

24 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We're all just a bit giddy with excitement at having a thread with opposition fans on it after two seasons in the League Two forum. 

And not a Neilly in sight!

39 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

What else would you like to talk about?

Watching highlights, was the second yellow given for the challenge or potentially something said? 

Ref took a long time to produce a card and it only appears after the player speaks to him. 

1 hour ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

What a f**king boring fanbase this lot are. At least Arbroath and Kelty are simpleton central. This lot are whining on for days about a second yellow card 😄

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Just had a look for our opening match thread last season and it had 3 pages and 47 replies. It's so much better up here.