Inverness Caledonian Thistle vs Dumbarton

Outcome   

79 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/24 at 14:00

3 minutes ago, sons1872 said:

Missed the match but feel we could have had more of a go 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Aye, pretty much! Looking at the team selection and the fact we didn't keep possession very well at all, I feel we could have done a bit more. Also, the question mark was looking to see if anyone else at the match agreed.

Others have said similar on this thread too...  

7 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Aye, pretty much! Looking at the team selection and the fact we didn't keep possession very well at all, I feel we could have done a bit more. Also, the question mark was looking to see if anyone else at the match agreed.

Others have said similar on this thread too...  

I'm not sure the issue in the first-half was that we didn't have more of a go. It's that we simply didn't have the ball enough to have a go. Every time we got it (which wasn't very often) any move almost immediately broke down with a slack bit of play. An overhit pass, a bad touch, a wrong decision.

In the second-half, and up until the red card, we had a go - and our goal was absolutely coming (a comment angrily shouted by a few Caley fans at the time!). Even after the red we had a right good chance where Jack Newman saved well from Mumbongo. So I'm not sure the first-half was based on instructions, I just think we weren't very good.

Have a go. could have done a bit more? All sound a bit like questioning effort. Bit ridiculous! There's then the have a go comments as if we are too defensive, which again wasn't the case as we were left exposed by too many players up the park when out of possession.

Carlo starting would have been better but it's the change of shape that changed the game for us. The manager tried to fix it within the first half but didn't quite get it sorted. Then did at half time. 

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm not sure the issue in the first-half was that we didn't have more of a go. It's that we simply didn't have the ball enough to have a go. Every time we got it (which wasn't very often) any move almost immediately broke down with a slack bit of play. An overhit pass, a bad touch, a wrong decision.

In the second-half, and up until the red card, we had a go - and our goal was absolutely coming (a comment angrily shouted by a few Caley fans at the time!). Even after the red we had a right good chance where Jack Newman saved well from Mumbongo. So I'm not sure the first-half was based on instructions, I just think we weren't very good.

We didn't close down in the first half. Caley didnt just have possession, they had time and space to use it. We didn't really get close enough to put any pressure on the man in possession. Whether that was because we couldn't or it was a deliberate decision to sit back, invite them onto us and then try and break with long balls for Ruth to chase is clearly open to debate. But the first half looked like a very cautious approach from Faz. 

20 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We didn't close down in the first half. Caley didnt just have possession, they had time and space to use it. We didn't really get close enough to put any pressure on the man in possession. Whether that was because we couldn't or it was a deliberate decision to sit back, invite them onto us and then try and break with long balls for Ruth to chase is clearly open to debate. But the first half looked like a very cautious approach from Faz. 

Nonsense 

3 minutes ago, sons1872 said:

Nonsense 

It really isn't. We were yards off them in the first half. They were doubling up on us in the wide areas. We were letting them run at us through the middle. What little possession we did have was wasted with lost hope long balls for Ruth to chase.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think we set up expecting ICT to dominate the ball and then the aim was to hit them on the break. But they build up so gradually that they very rarely committed bodies forward in serious numbers. So we attempted to fire it at Ruth and get bodies up to support him. But he was crowded out by three defenders and a midfielder, and everything just broke down from there.

There was definitely some tweaks tactic wise but more or less the same as last season.. On top in the 1st half then we lose it in the 2nd half.

Good width & movement we were causing Dumbarton problems but one thing that held us back was 3 at the back. I felt at times it was one defender too much. We needed an extra midfielder or attacker to just take the game to them not 3 CBs shuffling around the back.

Dumbarton changed things at HT it worked for them & they punished us for not being ruthless enough in the 1st 45. The sending off killed of their momentum & we were on top again but as per usual we failed to take advantage. 

Mackinnon had a great 1st half in my opinion. Really glad we've signed him. Duffy looks like he needs more minutes under his belt but I reckon he'll be a decent player for us this season.

Edited by Connor Macleod

5 hours ago, sons1872 said:

Nonsense 

Happy clapping gets you nowhere.

As I said initially, others have suggested that mart of my post/question, were correct. A combination of things are how I made that estimate. At the end of the day, Faz has been around long enough for us to know how he approaches matches like this. He tends to give too much respect and be overly cautious.

If you want to be a part of the happy clapping brigade, that's fine. But I'll continue to have my realistic and pretty well grounded point of view.

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Happy clapping gets you nowhere.

As I said initially, others have suggested that mart of my post/question, were correct. A combination of things are how I made that estimate. At the end of the day, Faz has been around long enough for us to know how he approaches matches like this. He tends to give too much respect and be overly cautious.

If you want to be a part of the happy clapping brigade, that's fine. But I'll continue to have my realistic and pretty well grounded point of view.

You've lost me with the happy clapping lol. Id have preferred to start the game more compact and the shape didn't need changed but that's football, happens.

We were certainly far from cautious,  we were too open with Wallace and orsi staying high. Full backs needed help. it was seen, fixed and a good result was had. Onto the next one.

Watching that back I'm a bit more torn on the second yellow. It's clumsy. Not dangerous or anything, but just a ball he didn't have to challenge for. If you're on a booking with a really fussy ref just take a second and think 'I'll maybe just take a step back here'.

Our goal is superb. An absolutely thumping finish. And great quick thinking from Finlay to take the throw in and get the ball back.

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2024_08.05-13_21_03.png.efba780073e0967797aea32a38963533.png

Aye, I'm coming round to my thoughts in real time on it. Although I initially thought it was a clash of heads; but it's not. Gilmour goes down holding his head, but the contact is on his back. Really harsh. 

I did wonder if it was a reputation decision. But looking at his career stats, Sena has only been booked 18 times and sent-off once in 137 career games. Which, for a midfield enforcer, doesn't seem like that many.