Just now, Westy1 said:

There has to be better out there. 

I agree about the board, but they have backed the manager this season and we are struggling, BIG TIME!

Looking back they made a huge error sacking Spence and Latta for far less. 

Think there is still a misguided belief behind the scenes that Meadow should be winning honours on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Looking back they made a huge error sacking Spence and Latta for far less. 

Think there is still a misguided belief behind the scenes that Meadow should be winning honours on a regular basis. 

They weren’t sacked. They offered their resignation after losing to Hill O Beath which the committee accepted.

Bit more context needed to, Irvine vics are sitting rock bottom of their league, how this medda team is getting beat off them is baffling.  Got the likes of McLennan, Sharpe Barclay and Paton in the team, all played prem last year. To touch on the physio if Ben goes, I wonder if he just hangs around again for the next management team too? Something definitely off about that. As I said in my first post the football under Spence and Latta was terrible too people have a short memory, the job came too soon for them as it has with Ben now, need to go get an experienced manager similar to the Grierson appointment to steady the ship. 

5 hours ago, Fabi said:

Can you elaborate??

Weren’t you on George Griersons coaching staff? It’s baffling to think even you don’t think the committee take money in for everything other than the playing squad. The sales of Wardrope, Gow, Graham and faulds to name a few and who do we go out and buy, 5 players who can’t get a game for whittlets. 

9 hours ago, coistysgoldenboots said:

Just saw the result there. Having seen Meadow earlier in the season I have to say it doesn’t surprise me. 

The quality of player they have brought in seems to be way below the standard required. 

I’d be very worried if I were a Medda fan now. Yes it’s a friendly, yes it’s ultimately nothing more than bragging rights, but I wonder at just what level this Medda team is realistically sitting at. 

The recruitment appears to be dreadful. But yes, you cannot keep  sacking managers as medda have done. Who would want to take on that job now? I honestly believe there’s a real danger Meadow will drop another division this year. 

Said in my previous post, they should get George Grierson (if he’s fit and healthy) back or somone who is more experienced to steady the ship. 

Edited by Fitbawguy123

3 hours ago, Fitbawguy123 said:

Weren’t you on George Griersons coaching staff? It’s baffling to think even you don’t think the committee take money in for everything other than the playing squad. The sales of Wardrope, Gow, Graham and faulds to name a few and who do we go out and buy, 5 players who can’t get a game for whittlets. 

I was only a coach so not privy to actual budgets . But I do know the playing squad budget was on a par with the previous season when a George took over and was the same for Kevin also, at that time the committee were not willing to spend silly money on wages and with this I agree, in general players are far to greedy these days due to the amount of money being thrown about and saw it first hand when Kevin was negotiating with players. Therefore you need to look for players who will come on within the wage structure. 
What I would say from an outsider looking in now, that the current management team appears to have been backed by the committee given the amount of transfers in since taking over last season. I think there'll be only one or two players left from George's signings. That is a massive turnaround in a season and a half. So it's a tough one now for the fans. Do you sack Ben and yet again start all over again or do you give him time to mould the current squad and tweak the playing staff to get the right team on the park? It might take another horrible season for that to happen. 
As I've said previously though, fans of fallen giants like medda and the committees, find it hard to accept mediocrity, given their history , and this leads to knee jerk sackings to get a winning team on the park

17 minutes ago, Fabi said:

I was only a coach so not privy to actual budgets . But I do know the playing squad budget was on a par with the previous season when a George took over and was the same for Kevin also, at that time the committee were not willing to spend silly money on wages and with this I agree, in general players are far to greedy these days due to the amount of money being thrown about and saw it first hand when Kevin was negotiating with players. Therefore you need to look for players who will come on within the wage structure. 
What I would say from an outsider looking in now, that the current management team appears to have been backed by the committee given the amount of transfers in since taking over last season. I think there'll be only one or two players left from George's signings. That is a massive turnaround in a season and a half. So it's a tough one now for the fans. Do you sack Ben and yet again start all over again or do you give him time to mould the current squad and tweak the playing staff to get the right team on the park? It might take another horrible season for that to happen. 
As I've said previously though, fans of fallen giants like medda and the committees, find it hard to accept mediocrity, given their history , and this leads to knee jerk sackings to get a winning team on the park

Is it a case of players being greedy or medda simply not giving good players what they are worth? They had no issues throwing money to players coming in from whittlets after letting others go. Do you think Grierson would take the job on again? He had the team flying, feel he was getting the best out of us mostly due to his experience I’d say, everything seemed to be running smoother and more organised when he was in charge. Current management have been backed you’d think with the amount of incomings, especially the likes of McLennan and Paton I’d imagine they would be on decent money to drop down a league. It would be catastrophic for medda to even consider another crap season and risk relegation again

1 hour ago, Fabi said:

Fabi you maybe weren't at Medda when Chris Strain was manager. 2012. Our first season in Premier and we tanned you 3-1. You went on to win the league and had a smashin side. Darian McKinnon scored a hat-trick for us. At end of the game Strain went onto park and offered McKinnon triple what he was on with us. At that time you were the big spenders. Of course the taxman came a calling and everything was reined in but at the time you were every bit as ahead of others in budgets as Darvel have been or Burgh, Drumchapel, Gartcairn etc are now. 

13 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Fabi you maybe weren't at Medda when Chris Strain was manager. 2012. Our first season in Premier and we tanned you 3-1. You went on to win the league and had a smashin side. Darian McKinnon scored a hat-trick for us. At end of the game Strain went onto park and offered McKinnon triple what he was on with us. At that time you were the big spenders. Of course the taxman came a calling and everything was reined in but at the time you were every bit as ahead of others in budgets as Darvel have been or Burgh, Drumchapel, Gartcairn etc are now. 

I never played with Medda and only went there in 2022 as a coach under Grierson but I remember well when they were big spenders and yes they paid the price.... hence why the committee are refusing to keep up with the current wages on offer elsewhere and hats off to them for doing that. That being said I do think looking at the current signings that they may have increased it a bit but only the current manager and committee will know that. There is no doubt still players out there that would prefer and nice pitch and decent set up over an extra £50 a week! 

1 hour ago, Fitbawguy123 said:

Is it a case of players being greedy or medda simply not giving good players what they are worth? They had no issues throwing money to players coming in from whittlets after letting others go. Do you think Grierson would take the job on again? He had the team flying, feel he was getting the best out of us mostly due to his experience I’d say, everything seemed to be running smoother and more organised when he was in charge. Current management have been backed you’d think with the amount of incomings, especially the likes of McLennan and Paton I’d imagine they would be on decent money to drop down a league. It would be catastrophic for medda to even consider another crap season and risk relegation again

Do you honestly think the current standard, in general , is worth the standard rate of approx £150 - £200 a week? I personally don't and I think the overall standard is poorer from my time of playing! Although I might have rose tinted glasses on! 

7 minutes ago, Fabi said:

Do you honestly think the current standard, in general , is worth the standard rate of approx £150 - £200 a week? I personally don't and I think the overall standard is poorer from my time of playing! Although I might have rose tinted glasses on! 

The standard of Scottish football from top to bottom is absolutely dreadful.

On 13/08/2024 at 23:14, 99blue baloons said:

Even sadder, winton rovers buying into it as well, (economics and community banner used there) never seen a memorable proper football game on it, that includes some great results for killie over the years, and buffs win 2-0 at the Drum. Think meadow will survive.

You must not make many Killie games.

1 hour ago, Thejackdaw said:

If I were on the meadow committee I would be suggesting Tony mcinally if the current management team don't wish to continue or if enough is enough . 

I agree-he is the kind of manager who can dig out and bring back a team.He rebuilt us after relegation in 2015 into a side that by the next season were in the junior cup final 

9 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

They weren’t sacked. They offered their resignation after losing to Hill O Beath which the committee accepted.

‘Offered’ and the committee accepted. So jumped before they were pushed then. The committee were happy to let them go no questions asked. As good as a sacking. 

1 hour ago, andy25 said:

The standard of Scottish football from top to bottom is absolutely dreadful.

I've seen some really good football in the First Division so far this season, Rutherglen, Cumbernauld, Rob Roy, Kilwinning - all of whom have played some nice passing football (mostly). Certainly a better standard than at the same level a decade ago.  Going to Hurlford v Troon today so I'll see how the Premier compares.

1 minute ago, energyzone said:

I've seen some really good football in the First Division so far this season, Rutherglen, Cumbernauld, Rob Roy, Kilwinning - all of whom have played some nice passing football (mostly). Certainly a better standard than at the same level a decade ago.  Going to Hurlford v Troon today so I'll see how the Premier compares.

I would say the difference now is the hunger in young players. Not enough passion shown for me. 

A real lack of natural leaders coming through.