Stenhousemuir -vs- Arbroath (Saturday 3 August 2024)

1 minute ago, Ataboy said:

You call it muscled around I would prefer to say fouled and ignored by an incompetent officials team 

So your wee skinny players were "fouled and ignored", but Arbroath weren't the more physical team?  Fascinating.  

We were brilliant yesterday. So pleased for this group of lads I'm still unsure why anyone actually doubts them. Yes, we need a couple of bodies in for sure but don't forget this team are not short on talent and will run through a brick wall for the manager. That's two things Arbroath don't have for example.

We were at it from the first whistle and put in our best performance for a long time. The balance of the team just felt right for this game. Matty Yates was imperious in that position up top. Ross Taylor tore Bisland to shreds and although Euan O'Reilly was not quite at his sharpest, due to a limited pre-season, he still gave Wilkie a hard time. Ross Taylor in particular is in for a huge season - now adding numbers to his game and cutting out the nonsense I genuinely don't think there is much better wingers in this league.

Kyle Jacobs was outstanding.  He gave us that bit more energy and got about the park better than Nat can. Huge call from the manager but it made sense. Slater and Callaghan are fine on on ball but they don't get about the park very well and we dominated in there. Mikey Anderson wasnt involved in the play much but his press was key and I think Arboath were taken aback with our energy in general.

The defence just were the defence. Meechs, Kinlay and Bucky we know what we are getting and in Kyle Banner we seem to have acquired a player who understands exactly what we are about. He was first to everything and his distribution was outstanding. That was the one position I feared when Nicky is out but that will settle the whole team knowing he can perform at that level.

We are a capable side I've always felt we can be pushing mid table and beyond and I believe that even more now having seen one of the more favoured sides in the league. Two good strikers and a centre half - who else would I take from Arbroath? Absolutely nobody.

It's easy from the outside looking in thinking we will struggle this season but there's no real understanding of this group of players - their qualities as football players and the work they will put in for the manager.

Absolutely buzzing for them.

Edited by Neilly

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

I feel stupid for having engaged with him. I won't make that mistake again!

We were in more or less complete agreement throughout though.  I don't think I disagreed with any of the things you said, and I didnt really see anything of mine you disagreed with.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He's an absolute moon howler who just doesn't understand football.

Similar to yourself actually. Just ignore.

Maybe the problem here is that these Stenny fans thought there would be more disagreement?  Maybe theyre looking for it?

Stenny fans :  we controlled the midfield

Arbroath fans: we never controlled the midfield

Stenny fans:  we were the better team.

Arbroath fans: Stenny were the better team.

Stenny fans: we were fouled repeatedly

Arbroath fans: we were the more physical team.

Etc etc.

And yet, despite all this agreement, the Stenny fans still want to pick a fight.  I've not really encountered them before, but I always thought of Stenny as a friendly club.  Its a bit odd to see them getting so worked up over what is largely complete agreement.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Congratulations to Arbroath FC on winning the we’re bigger, stronger and fitter than you cup. 

It's quite the achievement for The Lichties against a team who ran over the top of them for 90 minutes.

Smokies and Wine baby.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So your wee skinny players were "fouled and ignored", but Arbroath weren't the more physical team?  Fascinating.  

With fear of further engagement with you let me be clear I disagree with this . 
There is a clear difference to being overpowered and fouled . That my friend is how it is . Your centre backs all day got away with what I call fouling .

14 minutes ago, Ataboy said:

With fear of further engagement with you let me be clear I disagree with this . 
There is a clear difference to being overpowered and fouled . That my friend is how it is . Your centre backs all day got away with what I call fouling .

So you claim your team was "fouled all day", even though the ref didn't deem most of them as fouls, but we weren't more physical?  How did we commit these fouls?  Telekinesis?  Do you really not see the contradiction here?

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Let me guess...... ExiledLichtie.

Have gone down the route of having him on the ignore list as he is an utter fud. The last 2 years have left him all bitter and twisted to the point that any sensible point he makes is covered in the shite he spouts.

31 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Let me guess...... ExiledLichtie.

Have gone down the route of having him on the ignore list as he is an utter fud. The last 2 years have left him all bitter and twisted to the point that any sensible point he makes is covered in the shite he spouts.

At least you've moved on from following me around making shite memes about me and pretending to ignore me, to following me around badmouthing me and pretending to ignore me.  I suppose that's progress.

18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nae club is sacking a manager after 1 league game. 

Raith Rovers - "Hawd ma beer!"

Edited by 19QOS19

Here’s my tuppenceworth.  I thought Arbroath were undercooked/unready and Stenny were brighter and ‘at it’ from the off and easily deserved the win.   Arbroath might have managed more possession but most was along the back, mostly slow tempo while Stenny won the vast majority of 50:50s and created a good few more chances/half chances.  Our midfield only flickered occasionally and there was a lack of dig and ability to win back possession (a long-standing issue since Hamilton, C left)

I put some of this down to the fact that team is almost completely rebuilt and it maybe takes p-t teams a bit longer to gel plus maybe under preparation in terms of pre-season games.  I was concerned by the apparent apathy in the latter stages of the second half before the final flurry.  Not many positives at all except hints  from the new frontline and especially Reilly and Gallagher dropping back to make better passing links plus of course Coulson.

I never judge the season on the League Cup or first few league games but they can often set the tone.  We need to do better everywhere.  For the same reason, it’s hard to assess how Stenny will fare but an excellent start does no harm at all.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There is an ignore option (used it twice with a couple of the Clyde posters) but I can't remember how to do it. Can anyone help please? Quickly.

On 04/08/2024 at 15:27, farflung lichtie said:

Our midfield only flickered occasionally and there was a lack of dig and ability to win back possession (a long-standing issue since Hamilton, C left)

Reading this, it suggests Colin Hamilton has left Arbroath: that's not the case, is it?