Forfar Athletic vs Clyde

And so it begins! Another gruelling campaign, sweeping the floor in the basement, hoping for an invitation to the League One ball come May.

The hosts have suffered only one defeat in their last ten home games; the visitors have only claimed one win from their last ten visits to Station Park, those spanning over a quarter of a century. Ray The Snake's side had Clyde's number over the course of last season, too; the first two meetings saw the spoils shared, before The Bully Wee's survival hopes took a double dent in the run-in as Forfar edged their way to two triumphs.

The home side's squad looks fairly similar in strength to that of last term, while Ian McCall has conducted a lower-league supermarket sweep to assemble a squad that has installed Clyde as the bookies' favourites to claim ultimate glory this season. Opening assignments don't get much stickier than this on paper, however, and there's a keen sense of the unknown enveloping this game given the opposition faced to date - Edinburgh were clearly a cut below, while Motherwell, Partick and Montrose were all evidently cuts above and those games saw mixed performances and results. This will be the first litmus test for a bunch that has justifiably instilled optimism in even the most weathered of Bully Wee supporters. 

I expect that this could be a tough old watch if McKinnon's famously stingy brand of football has survived the summer. I wouldn't sniff at a draw from this one, but expect Clyde to take the game to Forfar and think we have enough to defy history and get off to a bright start. 

What say you, Loons? 

To counter those horrendous statistics, we've lost only 2 of our last 14 opening matches in league action.

That said, we've only won 3 of the last 14 "second" matches in league action.

I'm not sure what that means, but I hope the Forfar players are cowering at the prospect of playing us.

We need to keep things simple. 451/433, with Rennie and Redfern flanking a striker (probably Allan). Pick two of Howie/Hamilton/McKay. Get the balance of the midfield trio correct. 

37 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

And so it begins! Another gruelling campaign, sweeping the floor in the basement, hoping for an invitation to the League One ball come May.

The hosts have suffered only one defeat in their last ten home games; the visitors have only claimed one win from their last ten visits to Station Park, those spanning over a quarter of a century. Ray The Snake's side had Clyde's number over the course of last season, too; the first two meetings saw the spoils shared, before The Bully Wee's survival hopes took a double dent in the run-in as Forfar edged their way to two triumphs.

The home side's squad looks fairly similar in strength to that of last term, while Ian McCall has conducted a lower-league supermarket sweep to assemble a squad that has installed Clyde as the bookies' favourites to claim ultimate glory this season. Opening assignments don't get much stickier than this on paper, however, and there's a keen sense of the unknown enveloping this game given the opposition faced to date - Edinburgh were clearly a cut below, while Motherwell, Partick and Montrose were all evidently cuts above and those games saw mixed performances and results. This will be the first litmus test for a bunch that has justifiably instilled optimism in even the most weathered of Bully Wee supporters. 

I expect that this could be a tough old watch if McKinnon's famously stingy brand of football has survived the summer. I wouldn't sniff at a draw from this one, but expect Clyde to take the game to Forfar and think we have enough to defy history and get off to a bright start. 

What say you, Loons? 

McKinnon ball is alive & dire. Prepare yourself for a turgid affair. Safe bet is a draw, I don't see us conceding all that many but at the same time I don't see us scoring that many either.

8 hours ago, May Rckinnon said:

McKinnon ball is alive & dire. Prepare yourself for a turgid affair. Safe bet is a draw, I don't see us conceding all that many but at the same time I don't see us scoring that many either.

Agreed, I can't look beyond a draw. Rusty will only be useful for about 10 minutes it just depends whether he actually scores in that "useful period" before moping around the centre circle waiting to be replaced by Skelly who will then constantly run offside.

33 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

Agreed, I can't look beyond a draw. Rusty will only be useful for about 10 minutes it just depends whether he actually scores in that "useful period" before moping around the centre circle waiting to be replaced by Skelly who will then constantly run offside.

Can't help but feel if McKinnon bothered himself to stick a rocket up McLean he'd maybe get some consistency from him, McInally managed it a Peterhead.

Skelly will hopefully continue one of his blatantly offside runs into the bin.

1 hour ago, HaleyReinhart said:

The pre-season buzz has me making my first trip up to Forfar on Saturday. 

Assume parking etc is no bother? 

Tickets already on the Forfar Ticketco for anyone else looking. 

I was there in 2021 and there was parking behind one of the goals. If you're there in good time you'll get a space no bother.

6 hours ago, HaleyReinhart said:

The pre-season buzz has me making my first trip up to Forfar on Saturday. 

Assume parking etc is no bother? 

Tickets already on the Forfar Ticketco for anyone else looking. 

Just go up past the turnstiles to the industrial units and park round the back of one of the places there

- Kinnear -

- Houston - Howie - Hamilton - Robson -

- Grant - Docherty -

- Redfern - Scullion - Connelly -

- Allan -

I think this is the line-up I'd go with for Saturday. If Cuddihy is fit, he comes in ahead of Dom Docherty. I'm glad the 3-5-2 experiment was rapidly abandoned. I think it's probably tempting to go with two up top to accommodate Dunachie but imho we can't get sucked into playing a certain way to accommodate one player. If we go two up, I think it needs to be as a 4-4-2.

Pretty much agree with that starting lineup.
Obviously Cudihay being the issue, he started the season really well but as ever his fitness is unreliable, not a dig at him btw, not his fault it just where he is now.

If budget permits and I’m not sure it would, I’d love a creative CM in. Limiting Cudihay to 30 mins at the end of most games may be the way forward for him now. At least we would get consistent run game minutes out of him and he is a very decent player when fit. 

It’s great to have options in most positions but for me I have not been overly impressed by Connelly. Clearly a player in there but not showed enough as of yet.

I would go with that side but Rennie in for Connelly.

Looking forward to Saturday and hopefully a big away following to cheer us on to our first 3 points in the league!

I would line up with a majority of last seasons squad plus it leaves us with excellent options off the bench 

Kinnear 

Houston Howie/McKay Hamilton Robson 

Grant McKay/Cuddihy 

Rennie Redfern/Leitch Scullion 

Allan 

We'll need some height to deal with Mclean, I want to see an aggressive midfield and hopefully we are at it from minute 1, looking forward to it either way.

Clyde fans excited about the game, Forfar fans apathetic about the game. Clyde probably are favourites for a win but Forfar love a good 0-0 draw. I expect Forfar to line up as so:

McCallum 

Allan, Morrison, Hutchinson 

Reekie, Malcolm, Whatley, Taylor

Cannon, McLean, MacLean

Allan may be RWB and Bailey move into CB. It's a toss up between Whatley and Robson. Kinglis or Skelly may start ahead of Cannon, but that's less likely. 

1 hour ago, Bridie Vision said:

Clyde fans excited about the game, Forfar fans apathetic about the game. Clyde probably are favourites for a win but Forfar love a good 0-0 draw. I expect Forfar to line up as so:

McCallum 

Allan, Morrison, Hutchinson 

Reekie, Malcolm, Whatley, Taylor

Cannon, McLean, MacLean

Allan may be RWB and Bailey move into CB. It's a toss up between Whatley and Robson. Kinglis or Skelly may start ahead of Cannon, but that's less likely. 

Mental that McKinnon will actually see it as a toss up between Whatley & Robson too. I like Matty Allan but if the plan is to deploy him at full back all season I can see there being even less width than last campaign.