My local WOSL side have just announced a price freeze for this season. £8.

These are the clubs who'll benefit from the greed in the top league.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

If it's greed, then the clubs must all be making a fortune in profits every year?

Of course it’s greed. Yes things cost more and inflation has ramped up the cost of things the clubs must pay for, but let’s not forget that many clubs are spending out with their means to try and achieve more whilst not being sustainable. That by its very nature is greed, if they ran themselves sustainably then they wouldn’t have as much outgoing and indeed may well be able to keep costs such as tickets much lower. 

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Of course it’s greed. Yes things cost more and inflation has ramped up the cost of things the clubs must pay for, but let’s not forget that many clubs are spending out with their means to try and achieve more whilst not being sustainable. That by its very nature is greed, if they ran themselves sustainably then they wouldn’t have as much outgoing and indeed may well be able to keep costs such as tickets much lower. 

You could also argue that as the clubs trying to keep the fans happy by bringing in (and spending) as much as possible.

We want to have it both ways. We like 3pm Saturday games, but we want a better tv deal. We want to get in cheaply, but we want good teams.

There has to be give somewhere.

Edited by VincentGuerin

43 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

We want to get in cheaply, but we want good teams.

£25 isn't cheap, and this narrative you're driving is bizarre, but the "try to add balance to a debate because it makes me feel intelligent" shtick seems one you're fond of.

There's plenty a club can do to increase finds beyond ramping up ticket prices. Clubs just do it because its easy and they think fans are mug enough to keep buying it. You're argument that it works seemed based entirely on about 3 or 4 clubs having large supports and just flat out ignores the other supports withering away at all levels of the pyramid.

I'm a tourist at McDiarmid these days only getting to a couple of games a season but my initial reaction was "f**k that!!" 

Probably still will go if I'm home and there's a game on though. 

Kings Lynn Town prices have gone up to £20. That's National League North FWIW. Are they £7 worse? Or more? Well, I'll still be going. Can have a pint with my pie if I don't fancy a Bovril ;)

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I’ve just bought tickets to watch Inter at the San Siro for less than what Killie are charging, it’s mental

Union Berlin v Bayern last year (granted I pay €10 a month membership) was €15 for an adult. Shows us up a bit. As you say though, it’s not just Kilmarnock. 

Looking at those prices from 1984 to 2004, it's interesting to see how much clubs have driven out the concept of people being able to go for cheaper seats in worse areas of the ground, leaving everybody having to pay higher rates.

e.g. in 1999 we find Aberdeen charging £18-20 in Main stand, £15-17 in Richard Donald end, £14 in South side (inc. away) and £13 in Merkland end.

Celtic varied from £18 to £23, around the ground.

Dundee Utd were £13-17 in home stands, £15 in away side and £13 in away end.

Hearts a blanket £16; becoming £18 v Hibs and OF.

Hibs were £13-15 in Main, £14 in ends (inc. away) and £13 in old East side; again extra £2 for 'Category A'.

Kilmarnock blanket £12... but interestingly £3 extra v OF, and no concessions in those.

Motherwell were £15-17 in Main, £10-12 in old East side, £13-£15 in north end and £15-17 in away end.

Rangers were £17-18 (inc. away), but £22 in Main lower and Govan side upper.

Far less flexibility now AFAICS.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

You could also argue that as the clubs trying to keep the fans happy by bringing in (and spending) as much as possible.

We want to have it both ways. We like 3pm Saturday games, but we want a better tv deal. We want to get in cheaply, but we want good teams.

There has to be give somewhere.

We have a wee bit more money than a lot of the teams in the league so I'm happy for them to get more tv money if we get the 3pm Saturday games.

4 hours ago, Pizzo said:

My local WOSL side have just announced a price freeze for this season. £8.

These are the clubs who'll benefit from the greed in the top league.

£6 at my local WOSL side...a pie, bovril and maybe even a cheeky beer or two and you'll still have change out of £15quid

On 29/07/2024 at 13:17, VincentGuerin said:

People make choices in different areas. I'll spend on the fitba, but I've completely given up going to gigs as I think they're now not worth the cost.

Next week, I'm seeing a music artist, whom, last year, supported Taylor Swift on the Eras USA stadium tour, for GBP 16, in London..

The straplline of the great British Caledonian was: We always believe you have a choice.

As mentioned elsewhere, I disinvested in international football at/after Skopje, and in domestic, after Sligo. 

Back, on topic, if I were living in the central belt, and, minded on a walk up, I'd be reluctant to pay more than GBP 25 for a tier one game.

However, somewhat moot.

I seen Paris FC are doing free entry to games for the season. How are they able to do that ?

Stade Brestois small stadium, finish 3rd in France, meaning european football, still keeping seasons tickets to some fans for under £300.

Fortuna Dusseldorf are offering 4 free games a season...

FC Copenhagen behind the goals £120.... 

https://www.supporters-direct.scot/the-501-rule-in-swedish-footbal/

Swedish football revenue has increased alot over recent years.

I think we are getting near a point where prices will start to affect attendances for some clubs.  If clubs can operate womens games in the mens stadiums at a reduced ticket price, then the league bodies of the world need to look at wage caps and spending caps for the mens game.

I understand stadiums in Europe can be much bigger in capacity, meaning they can offer cheaper tickets. I think some clubs could do this in Scotland, and gain from increase in food sales in the ground.

Do any clubs have a away games season ticket ?

Would the teams in the league agreeing a away season ticket price, a way of generating a steady income at the start of each season.

Along with supporters busses run by the club with a season ticket for that. Would mean clubs could get a extra revenue stream and fans not being over priced by public transport means....

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

£25 isn't cheap, and this narrative you're driving is bizarre, but the "try to add balance to a debate because it makes me feel intelligent" shtick seems one you're fond of.

There's plenty a club can do to increase finds beyond ramping up ticket prices. Clubs just do it because its easy and they think fans are mug enough to keep buying it. You're argument that it works seemed based entirely on about 3 or 4 clubs having large supports and just flat out ignores the other supports withering away at all levels of the pyramid.

Leaving your snide aside, what should clubs be doing that would raise revenue as efficiently as gate prices?

58 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Leaving your snide aside, what should clubs be doing that would raise revenue as efficiently as gate prices?

Work on getting actual sponsorship deals. Barely any clubs bother working on that for a full year.

Get your merchandise advertised better than just papping one video and tweet a week about your new kit for a month, and then praying folk turn up.

Makes things in the ground more affordable, so more is sold to match going fans.

Raising prices is just a false economy to me.

We're a prime example. East Stand going fan now spends £27 to get in, and it's £5 a pint in the ground before the game. I already know multiple folk who will give up pints because the raised entrance price. 

Before they'd spend £25 to get in and then have 2-3 pints at £3.50, so the clubs losing out on £7 for each of them now, but will be thinking it's fine because the attendances haven't dropped.

Then when the money is rising what do they do? Oh aye, we have decent crowds and it never dropped last time we raised prices, so we'll raise them again, then these folk just stop going altogether.

It's a hole clubs are digging for themselves because they share your mindset that fans are thick enough to do it endlessly, just ignoring the actual feeling of fans and how close some are to the edge.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Work on getting actual sponsorship deals. Barely any clubs bother working on that for a full year.

Get your merchandise advertised better than just papping one video and tweet a week about your new kit for a month, and then praying folk turn up.

Makes things in the ground more affordable, so more is sold to match going fans.

Raising prices is just a false economy to me.

We're a prime example. East Stand going fan now spends £27 to get in, and it's £5 a pint in the ground before the game. I already know multiple folk who will give up pints because the raised entrance price. 

Before they'd spend £25 to get in and then have 2-3 pints at £3.50, so the clubs losing out on £7 for each of them now, but will be thinking it's fine because the attendances haven't dropped.

Then when the money is rising what do they do? Oh aye, we have decent crowds and it never dropped last time we raised prices, so we'll raise them again, then these folk just stop going altogether.

It's a hole clubs are digging for themselves because they share your mindset that fans are thick enough to do it endlessly, just ignoring the actual feeling of fans and how close some are to the edge.

There is definitely an aspect of the clubs looking at raising prices in anticipation of dwindling crowds and raise the prices based on the 'core' fans that will come no matter what in my opinion.

Unfortunately we are caught in a cycle.

A previous poster mentioned places like France, Germany & Denmark...countries like that have a higher sense of the collective and tend to show their disapproval through action. Particularly in Germany when it comes to how football works as a business. 

If we want to show that disapproval here we need to really do something about it and in a way that even punters outwith this forum can subscribe to. 

Distinct memory of my Grandfather saying in the early 90’s that a fiver was too expensive for a St Mirren game.
Wouldn’t get a pie and bovril for that these days.

In 30 years entry will be about £50, people will moan it’s too expensive, and then they’ll pay it.