Southport stabbings

I remember "Carry a knife, go to jail" being Labour's wheeze for the 2011 election, at which they were routed across Scotland.  Typically for Labour under right-wing management, it was all about looking tough on the symptoms of a problem.  I wouldn't call it posing, as I believe they are quite genuine and sincere in their authoritarian instincts, but it's superficial and insubstantial as a response to actually solving problems. 

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I see the BBC have labelled all the unrest the “Southport Protests”.

f**king paedo harbouring racist  shithole of an institution.

I don't share your view of the BBC but I also have a bit of difficulty with that stuff being described as 'protest'.

I think Sky were using the same language and it lends a legitimacy to those b*****ds that they don't merit.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think you're mistaken here.

The people who gathered outside the mosque genuinely could not care any less at all about the little girls attacked on Monday.

I think to characterise that response as anger is wildly wide of the mark.

I think it is anger, but not this event in isolation and they certainly didn't appear out of sympathy with the girls that had been murdered. What I'm saying is that these men have been radicalised and that they live in a state of perpetual anger - this stabbing was just an excuse for them to go out and inflict their anger on anything that they don't like because they fully believe their viewpoint is right and no-one is listening to them. 

They were convinced, without evidence, this attack was perpetrated by a Muslim, so they turned up and had a riot, attacking a mosque in the process. This is a response so irrational that it can only realistically be conducted by people that have been radicalised, and it is usually anger that causes people to become radicalised. 

I do think anger is the driving motive here. Not anger over the victims of the attack, but anger derived from the very narrow and extreme view of the world that they have, which convinces them that Muslims/immigrants etc. are the problem. 

Similarly to the way people end up swimming in conspiracy theories, I don't really know how we bring these people back from this. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I think it is anger, but not this event in isolation and they certainly didn't appear out of sympathy with the girls that had been murdered. What I'm saying is that these men have been radicalised and that they live in a state of perpetual anger - this stabbing was just an excuse for them to go out and inflict their anger on anything that they don't like because they fully believe their viewpoint is right and no-one is listening to them. 

They were convinced, without evidence, this attack was perpetrated by a Muslim, so they turned up and had a riot, attacking a mosque in the process. This is a response so irrational that it can only realistically be conducted by people that have been radicalised, and it is usually anger that causes people to become radicalised. 

I do think anger is the driving motive here. Not anger over the victims of the attack, but anger derived from the very narrow and extreme view of the world that they have, which convinces them that Muslims/immigrants etc. are the problem. 

Similarly to the way people end up swimming in conspiracy theories, I don't really know how we bring these people back from this. 

No great disagreement there about the wider picture.

The bit I specifically identified as mistaken, however, was this:

"I do believe they are angry about what's happened and no-one is saying they shouldn't be"

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Naw - Taylor Swift deserves a prison sentence for crimes against music.

😉

I can say in all honesty that I would not recognise either her or any of her music.

However Trump doesn’t like her so she can’t be all bad. 

This will probably get worse before it gets better.

We should do something to address the structural drivers of marginalisation and discontent imo.

I think the best way to de-radicalise these protesters/rioters is to encourage them to join in male bonding groups where the can maybe learn musical instruments and form bands who wear smart military style uniforms and march around playing historical ditties in the streets for the public.

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

They've been radicalised by the Internet and I don't really know how we bring them back from that. 

I don't think there is a way back from how partisan politics is now.

I can't shake the feeling that there is something truly dreadful brewing on the horizon. That will be the reset point.

34 minutes ago, Cheese said:

This will probably get worse before it gets better.

We should do something to address the structural drivers of marginalisation and discontent imo.

Labour will just expedite their ID card policy 

In my lifetime there have been three significant outbreaks of racial rioting in the UK.

Early 1980s - rioting occurred in various cities in England (London, Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol) to varying degrees of seriousness.  The rioting mainly involved areas with high numbers of black British people, the post-riot report found high levels of resentment towards the police and underlying lack of economic opportunities.

Early 2000s - rioting occurred across a number of Northern English towns and cities (Bradford, Burnley, Oldham, Leeds).  In this instance, the cause seemed to be tensions between Asian and white people in the areas affected rather than against the police or institutions.

2011 English riots - I'm including this as the trigger for the rioting was the shooting of Mark Duggan by police, which was protested as a racial incident.  The initial protest became violent and this violence then spread across London as well as other cities in England.  

The triggers, causes and organisation (for want of a better term) of these riots are all different and I think they are very different to what happened in Southport, Hartlepool and London as well.  Social media played a role in the 2011 riots spreading so quickly, if you look back to 2001 there were reports about the Oldham riots being organised by mobile phone. 

I'm not sure how to define it but I think what's happening in 2024 has been created by anger at the attack, the immediate spreading of incorrect stories via media (I think calling it social media is a little behind the times, it's now most people consume their news) which leads to protests and gatherings that almost immediately become violent.  

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if that would have helped in Southport.

Why are you posting that the attacker was a Roman Catholic?

Just now, ICTChris said:

Why are you posting that the attacker was a Roman Catholic?

I read that the alleged attacker is from a Roman Catholic family.