Season opener; a welcome home game for us but a tricky fixture nonetheless given the impressive league cup campaign from Annan.

Wullie's recruitment must bring optimism for Annan fans, Kilsby, Todd, Paul Smith and Jamie Smith are all astute pieces of business for L1. Latter I think is an excellent acquisition and so is Malik Zaid on loan from Hibs. Annan showed their class  in the closing 15 or so league games last season and will be looking to continue that vein of form.

McGowan's return to Balmoral. We didn't see much from him so interested to see how he plays against us.

For Cove, we're coming off a 2-1 win at East End Park but that covers the cracks in my opinion. Our recruitment is far from finished, in fact we still expect to take in 6 more players to compliment the 3 signed so far. Glass is clearly a standout with talent to make space and create.The suspected loans will need to be worth their weight in gold for us to be anything other than playoff chasers.

Will we see Mitch? Been back from honeymoon since the Forfar game, missed that, Livi and Dunfermline on Saturday.

Our defence is still an anchilles heel and unless that gets addressed before this Saturday I fear Goss will have his wicked way and we might succumb to a narrow defeat.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Definitely feels like we have been seeing some gradual improvement since the Spartans shambles.

One thing I liked about the Dunfermline game was that there was a few of the usual starters missing and some of the younger players you wouldn't expect to get a start normally like Gaffney got a start and had a good game.  I would imagine if the usual regulars are available we will see them starting.

Will be an interesting game, hopefully a win, after my comments about Paul McGowan I am sure he will find the back of the net.

28 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

Definitely feels like we have been seeing some gradual improvement since the Spartans shambles.

One thing I liked about the Dunfermline game was that there was a few of the usual starters missing and some of the younger players you wouldn't expect to get a start normally like Gaffney got a start and had a good game.  I would imagine if the usual regulars are available we will see them starting.

Will be an interesting game, hopefully a win, after my comments about Paul McGowan I am sure he will find the back of the net.

Spartans were truly impressive. Suspect they will run Clyde all the way in L2 and really fancy their promotions chances this time around.

I'm not convinced about the progression. I mean yes we've been more competitive since we got obliterated 5-0 on that misty Tuesday night. We're so fragile at the back and we'll continue to leak soft goals that will cost us far too many points. A signing or two in this department could change everything but if we are relying on Gillingham, Kerr and Murray to be our established CB's then I worry. Murray, at 18, has done well. A lot to ask coming from HL to instantly make that step up and produce consistency.

We're also too light, in more than one way, at the top end of the pitch. Hopefully we have Bavidge lined up (I'm just guessing, no knowledge whatsoever) but we'll still need something else for our front line.

There's little depth in the squad currently. Gaffney has endeavour, has been asked to do an impossible job up top alone especially for an inexperienced youngster. In my opinion he'll need another loan to get further game time.

Unsure how the bookies view it, however, Annan will likely be attractive odds to some.

51 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Spartans were truly impressive. Suspect they will run Clyde all the way in L2 and really fancy their promotions chances this time around.

I'm not convinced about the progression. I mean yes we've been more competitive since we got obliterated 5-0 on that misty Tuesday night. We're so fragile at the back and we'll continue to leak soft goals that will cost us far too many points. A signing or two in this department could change everything but if we are relying on Gillingham, Kerr and Murray to be our established CB's then I worry. Murray, at 18, has done well. A lot to ask coming from HL to instantly make that step up and produce consistency.

We're also too light, in more than one way, at the top end of the pitch. Hopefully we have Bavidge lined up (I'm just guessing, no knowledge whatsoever) but we'll still need something else for our front line.

There's little depth in the squad currently. Gaffney has endeavour, has been asked to do an impossible job up top alone especially for an inexperienced youngster. In my opinion he'll need another loan to get further game time.

Unsure how the bookies view it, however, Annan will likely be attractive odds to some.

I think two things can be true,  that over the League Cup games we did get progressively better, to what level is a fair debate, and that we have glaring holes in the defence.  That goal Dunfermline got was too easy.   Would definitely agree though that the defence needs shoring up, although I feel that is going to come from a loan player.

Bavidge in on loan seems to be the rumour from everyone, it feels a logical move which is probably why it seems to be the shared rumour.   

Midfield is the only part of the pitch I am not overly worried about at the moment, I would like to see the front and back strengthened and perhaps some insurance in the midfield just in case if there is scope in the budget for that.

I had a look at Bet365, they have us at 4/5, a draw 3/1 and Annan 5/2, they also seem to favour over 2.5 goals at 8/15 and I am inclined to agree, I could see us winning but shipping goals in the process.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Jo9 said:

I think two things can be true,  that over the League Cup games we did get progressively better, to what level is a fair debate, and that we have glaring holes in the defence.  That goal Dunfermline got was too easy.   Would definitely agree though that the defence needs shoring up, although I feel that is going to come from a loan player.

Bavidge in on loan seems to be the rumour from everyone, it feels a logical move which is probably why it seems to be the shared rumour.   

Midfield is the only part of the pitch I am not overly worried about at the moment, I would like to see the front and back strengthened and perhaps some insurance in the midfield just in case if there is scope in the budget for that.

I had a look at Bet365, they have us at 4/5, a draw 3/1 and Annan 5/2, they also seem to favour over 2.5 goals at 8/15 and I am inclined to agree, I could see us winning but shipping goals in the process.

Our season is hinged on the loans we take in is my opinion. Always a risky strategy given they normally get recalled if they set the league alight but right now we have little option it seems and I'd take a Luke Graham, Miller Thomson, Finlay Marshall, Finlay Pollock, Reuben McAllister, Alfie Bavidge, Taylor Steven. One or two of them would make a huge impact.

A loan player that would be perfect for us is Ricco Diack from Thistle. He alongside Bavidge, Mitch or Grady would work.

Annan at 5/2 has some value.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Wullie is shaping up a decent team with probably still another couple to come + Hooper has still to play this season.

Malik Zaid who we all saw on loan at Edinburgh City is a tricky player who offer something different.

I expect a close game but that Annan price looks attractive,even the draw.

You'll never believe it but the sun's shining and there's even some warmth at Balmoral today for the season opener.

Cove line up like below.

No Mitch in the starting XI although does make the bench. Missed Forfar, Livingston and Dunfermline since returning from honeymoon. Interested to see if he gets any minutes.

Grady suspended so Gaffney up top alone. He scored last week granted but he's a million miles away from Mitch or Rory in their prime for us.

Hopefully we'll see Findlay Marshall make his debut.

Annan with a fairly strong looking lineup for me.

First goal crucial. Pains me to say it Annan will knick this I feel.

Screenshot_20240803_142507_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240803_143429_X.jpg

Thought Cove were tidy, but over did the possession style game, thus the few shots created.The sub no.22 brought some life and progress down the right, worth sticking with. Bit of confusion at the back at times, but no panic stations... Annan the greater threat, worth the victory id say.

2 hours ago, marco44 said:

Good result for Annan 🖤🧡

Still early days but after seeing a couple of your league cup games it wouldn’t surprise me to see you guys be the surprise package in league 1 this season 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2024 at 19:06, CoveRangers1922 said:

You'll never believe it but the sun's shining and there's even some warmth at Balmoral today for the season opener.

Cove line up like below.

No Mitch in the starting XI although does make the bench. Missed Forfar, Livingston and Dunfermline since returning from honeymoon. Interested to see if he gets any minutes.

Grady suspended so Gaffney up top alone. He scored last week granted but he's a million miles away from Mitch or Rory in their prime for us.

Hopefully we'll see Findlay Marshall make his debut.

Annan with a fairly strong looking lineup for me.

First goal crucial. Pains me to say it Annan will knick this I feel.

Screenshot_20240803_142507_X.jpg

Screenshot_20240803_143429_X.jpg

Cove's defence and remaining signings will be crucial. Mitch’s return could be key, but addressing defensive issues is essential for avoiding a narrow defeat. With a complicated topic and a tight deadline, I decided to use https://domypaper.com/ The service was outstanding. The writer provided a well-researched and thoroughly analyzed paper that met all my requirements. The communication was smooth, and the paper was delivered on time. The quality of the work was impressive, and I received positive feedback from my professor. I’m very happy with the service and would highly recommend it to others.

Wow, I didn't know it.

Edit: You were right.

Edited by ConstanceDWright