St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Monday 05/08/24

Are we all pretending that’s sectarian now? Big victory for the thin skinned whatabouterers if so. 

More important matter though. I’m sure I saw an advertising hoarding pitchside with the word “permanant” on it. Can any johnnies confirm please?

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

No, but branding someone an orange b is.

It's something I absolutely hate our fans getting involved in, but it's nice to know you're going to be on full time P&B sectarian watch this season. You're going to be busy.

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

The Orange Order is itself sectarian, and far more extreme than a few fans singing about Boyd.

Pretty sure that Clement's name was never mentioned, it was all directed towards Mr Boyd. The Sky box was in an unfortunate position for the Rangers fan boy.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It's something I absolutely hate our fans getting involved in, but it's nice to know you're going to be on full time P&B sectarian watch this season. You're going to be busy.

I believe you do and take that at face value. I would also hope that you’ve seen me call out sectarianism displayed by Rangers fans on numerous occasions in my time here.

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The Orange Order is itself sectarian, and far more extreme than a few fans singing about Boyd.

But orange isn’t applied solely to the Orange Order though. It represents the Protestant faith as a whole.

Just now, kingjoey said:

Pretty sure that Clement's name was never mentioned, it was all directed towards Mr Boyd. The Sky box was in an unfortunate position for the Rangers fan boy.

Fairly certain I heard the “cheer up Phil clement” ditty just after the half hour mark. Maybe it was directed at Boyd instead for some reason, but that hardly changes it’s meaning.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

But orange isn’t applied solely to the Orange Order though. It represents the Protestant faith as a whole.

Reliably informed it was sung because Kris Boyd just really likes Dutch things.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Reliably informed it was sung because Kris Boyd just really likes Dutch things.

I heard it was because Clement’s name is sort of like clementine.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don't know enough about it to be honest, I just wish that Scottish football wasn't forever intertwined with Protestantism and Catholicism, it means absolutely nothing to me but obviously that's the tool that is used to recruit the new mugs to worship the Ugly Sisters.

I suppose like many in Aberdeen and the shire, both sides of my family are of the Protestant faith but it was something that ended at least one generation before me, and not something I'm remotely interested in re-igniting. 

To be honest, if a section of the Aberdeen fans mentioned "orange" in the songs last night then they need to get a grip because that is completely irrelevant to the vast majority of Dons fans.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I believe you do and take that at face value. I would also hope that you’ve seen me call out sectarianism displayed by Rangers fans on numerous occasions in my time here.

Fairly certain I heard the “cheer up Phil clement” ditty just after the half hour mark. Maybe it was directed at Boyd instead for some reason, but that hardly changes its meaning.

Agree on the Orange thing, but why would Aberdeen fans be singing about that baldy fud during a game v St Johnstone? You know that’s an old tune that people change the words to, right?

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't know enough about it to be honest, I just wish that Scottish football wasn't forever intertwined with Protestantism and Catholicism, it means absolutely nothing to me but obviously that's the tool that is used to recruit the new mugs to worship the Ugly Sisters.

I suppose like many in Aberdeen and the shire, both sides of my family are of the Protestant faith but it was something that ended at least one generation before me, and not something I'm remotely interested in re-igniting. 

To be honest, if a section of the Aberdeen fans mentioned "orange" in the songs last night then they need to get a grip because that is completely irrelevant to the vast majority of Dons fans.

Thankfully it’s not something I was brought up in either and I’m very content to consider myself an atheist.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Agree on the Orange thing, but why would Aberdeen fans be singing about that baldy fud during a game v St Johnstone? You know that’s an old tune that people change the words to, right?

Of course, I’m just saying it sounded like it was Clement. It’s entirely plausible it was Boyd the song I heard was being directed at and I’ve not heard it clearly.

28 minutes ago, AJF said:

No, but branding someone an orange b is.

Having been in Glasgow for the recent orange marches and witnessing the rangers football club event for what it was, I’m struggling to feel too awful about all of this. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Having been in Glasgow for the recent orange marches and witnessing the rangers football club event for what it was, I’m struggling to feel too awful about all of this. 

I mean, fair enough but singing it in that context is still sectarian 🤷🏻‍♂️