Ayr Vs Airdrie 9th August

Ayr were absolutely sublime tonight.  Obviously the way football works means Airdrie have to not be good to make that happen but I feel a lot of that was us making them bad rather than simply playing a bad team.  

The start of the second half was just good patter, to be fair Airdrie did come out with a good attitude and try get into the game but the second we got the ball back we just eviscerated them.  

I'm fascinated by how someone is going to actually stop us playing, we have so many layers to our build up play that you cant just stop us doing the one thing that you usually can at this level.  

I could talk about how shite airdrie were but that would be completely unfair on ayr who looked fantastic. A good mix of playing decent football but being able to mix it up if required. If they play like that all season then they have a good chance. That is an absolute pumping and if you had won by 8 or 9 then it wouldn’t have been a shock

A nice humbling lesson for airdrie who have been thinking they might have a shot at winning the league. This hopefully shows that we still have a way to go. Still early in the season and I imagine we will still bring some players in. Certainly confirms that our defence needs improving. Craig Watson is not going to win us the league. I think we will Be fine overall but play offs looks like our best hope. 

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Ayr were absolutely sublime tonight.  Obviously the way football works means Airdrie have to not be good to make that happen but I feel a lot of that was us making them bad rather than simply playing a bad team.  

The start of the second half was just good patter, to be fair Airdrie did come out with a good attitude and try get into the game but the second we got the ball back we just eviscerated them.  

I'm fascinated by how someone is going to actually stop us playing, we have so many layers to our build up play that you cant just stop us doing the one thing that you usually can at this level.  

Yeah - we have so many options. 

We can play, we can be direct and at the start of the second half when we were struggling to get out slightly we were lethally quick on the counter attack. 

If we continue to do well, it’ll be interesting if teams try to sit in against us, which would provide a completely different challenge. Given the physicality we have up front and the quality from midfield though..

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Our players are going to get chopped down like greenbelt trees for housing. That's how the league collective will stop us. "Eviscerated"... Great choice of word and one I will use to describe this game for the rest of the week!

Without getting too carried away, how do you stop that team when playing like that last night?

The only way would be to park the bus, but good luck with that.

Special mention for Frankie Musonda - what has he become? Wow!!!

Think the big man needs a spare pair of legs, he must be knackered (certainly was at Hamilton).  Would love to see his stats compared to last season.  The management team have created a monster 🌑⚪🌑⚪

Seeing a lot of Ayr were good but Airdrie were bad, simply put Airdrie didn't have a chance to be good as we dominated from minute one. Fair play they came out and the first five minutes of the second half tried to get back in the game but we quickly took control again and never lost it, we have put a marker down and set the bar but as an Ayr Fan you know that you can't get to excited as football has a habit of kicking you I the baws 

Edited by Superhursty7

Could sit here and wax lyrical about every player that played tonight, was one of those performances from start to finish that was impressive. Every sub made an impact in one way or another. Walker starting to look that bit sharper as well. Henderson MOTM, but Oakley for me is just makes the front line with how well he holds the ball in and starts the press. Buzzing he got his first league goal and is up and running. 

13 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Half-time jinx:

I'm really happy to see Stanger doing well. For Accies' youth teams he showed all the attributes to succeed, but he struggled quite badly in his very few first team appearances and was a bit unlucky that at that time we were putting all of our eggs in the Jamie Hamilton basket so weren't willing to afford him as much room to develop. 

He had a good season at Alloa when Rice brought him in. Earned his move back to full-time. Delighted for him doing well at Ayr.

I just watched this game this morning, and f**k me Ayr are bloody good. A combination of brilliant play and some poor defending made is a great game to watch. Broonie has built some team and has them playing brilliant football. I’ll admit it, I’m envious 

1 hour ago, printer said:

He had a good season at Alloa when Rice brought him in. Earned his move back to full-time. Delighted for him doing well at Ayr.

Started his career at the Albion, and yet I was today years old when I found out his dad is the ex-Scotland rugby player, Tony Stanger. 🫣

On 06/08/2024 at 22:07, ayrunitedfw said:

We obviously had the Indian star over Airdrie last season with Anton Dowds scoring 6 (Six) times against them. I’d be very pleased if that theme continued. 

Looking at Airdrie’s squad they seem to have lost a good few key players in the summer, Megwa, Fordyce, Telfer and Todorov to name a few while signing a lot of unknowns. Ben Wilson is obviously the one standing out at the moment scoring 6 goals in the league cup group phase however you have to caveat that with the fact 3 of those came against a defensively shambolic EK side. Still an impressive return regardless though. 

Teamwise presuming we have no new signings in before Friday night the only change I’d be making is Murphy in for Hastie. 

2-0 Ayr with Anton Dowds continuing his hot streak against this mob. 

On 06/08/2024 at 22:19, Diamond1924 said:

The replacements for each of those players you mentioned are equally as good if not better. 

A Wilson is better than Fordyce and B Wilson is better than Todorov. 

Armstrong is similar to Telfer and will be just as important. 

Losing Megwa hasn’t really been that bad as we have the best wingback in the league in Hancock so nothing lost there. 

I actually think we’re a much better side than last year. You’ll be surprised at the relatively unknown players we’ve signed 

😀

On 06/08/2024 at 22:19, Diamond1924 said:

I actually think we’re a much better side than last year. You’ll be surprised at the relatively unknown players we’ve signed 

Surprised at how utterly rotten the lowland league players you’ve signed are, you mean? 

Banter aside. You met us at our best. Some of our fans are saying it’s our best performance in years. Would love to think we keep this up but that’s probably not a thing. I know we beat you 4 times last year but I watched plenty enough of airdrie last year to be jealous of your playing style. Looks like we are trying to emulate your style. You’ll be well clear of relegation and closer to the top. Tommy ten names is still a w**k though.

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surprised at how utterly rotten the lowland league players you’ve signed are, you mean? 

Settle down. You hammered us 4 times last season and we still finished above you. Well done for last night but it’s still early