Clyde Vs Stranraer⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

20 minutes ago, PTR said:

I would be annoyed if I was a Stranraer fan not to take anything from that. Far better in the first half, shaped up perfectly to give Clyde few options going forward, but hit effectively on the break. Although I feel Clyde had better chances overall, Stranraer probably had more altogether. Think the boy Edgar had the really good chance towards the end. 

It's been mentioned several times but the offside decision is one of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen live and deserves to be mentioned again.

It's clear McCall doesn't know what his best team is. There's no doubt this is an excellent squad, but the two league performances so far haven't been very good evidence of that.

We had more shots and shots on target than them. 

They were better first half and dominated possession but we were all over them for a big chunk of the second half and caused them a lot more problems. We probably should’ve won by a couple tbh.

IMG_7354.png

20 minutes ago, Larry Hood said:

Thought it was apt Ray Grant grabbed the winner. MOM for me.

Kinnear not far behind, couple of good saves and great positioning.

Kinnear is so dependable in goals. Must be a great comfort to the defence to know he's behind them. What a difference from Leighfield last season.

4 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

The game that got away. We should have taken something from that match. Foster was causing havoc until injury forced him off. Huffed and puffed after that with Clyde's aerial threat causing us problems. This match was similar to last weeks v spartans. High balls cost us against spartans. We should have equalised but final ball was poor with clyde threatening on the break as we pushed forward.

BTW that lino needs to give up. Clyde player looked 5 yards on at least with our player lying injured playing him on. Unreal. Shows the standard of officiating these days.

Tough one to take today.

Stranraer number 9 excellent for this level. Thankfully he went off injured. 

Robson was night and day from his Montrose performance, on the ball and positionally particularly. Won a fair few tackles when Stranraer came forward. 

Kinnear has been superb since he came in, although it was noticeable today he could’ve played quicker balls out to players out wide rather than hang onto it and play a short ball. Might be being told to do that though. 

The substitutions made a difference but the other thing I'd say about the first half is that it's not common for teams to come and play a 361, with a box in midfield. I thought Stranraer played it well. Putting Murdoch deeper with Grant, combined with Dunachie/Connell being able to hold the ball up and move it wide quickly where the space was, turned the game in our favour.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We had more shots and shots on target than them. 

They were better first half and dominated possession but we were all over them for a big chunk of the second half and caused them a lot more problems. We probably should’ve won by a couple tbh.

IMG_7354.png

Interesting how the perception can be. Certainly did not feel like it. Although 10 of those attempts could've come after Dunachie hit the bar and Connell/the defender put it wide from a yard. 

9 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Kinnear is so dependable in goals. Must be a great comfort to the defence to know he's behind them. What a difference from Leighfield last season.

I said at half time that he won us a point last week and he was winning us our second.

I’m baffled by the “Stranraer deserved a point” patter. We should have scored 4 or 5 in the second half; a combination of poor finishing/decision making (through on goal twice with the cut back on and choosing to shoot), goal line clearances and good saves from their keeper.

Dunachie put the shiters up their centre half’s, even if it was just a long ball over the top where he was second favourite to win. Connell’s set pieces are superb and he has to start from now on, as well as Logan. Midweek is a good time to see how McCall can fit they two and Allan in together. 

Goes without saying we need to be starting games the way we started the second half. The first half was as bad as anything we have seen in the last two seasons.

Overall, I thought a point last week was a decent starting point and a win today was important even at this stage. 

Stranraer surely won’t finish bottom again this season, especially if their number 9 keeps fit.

Edit: I thought the referee blew the whistle for a head injury for that offside call. If he didn’t and it was genuinely for offside, then that’s the worst decision I’ve ever seen. Must have been about 10 yards onside at least. Would have been funny to see the VAR lines for that one 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

Highlights are up now. 

By the time the camera pans round and the ball is ahead of Allan, he is still onside. 

Another one of the odd calls is made worse by the highlights as I'm sure when Connells really close range effort was saved a goal kick was awarded. 

37 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I said at half time that he won us a point last week and he was winning us our second.

I’m baffled by the “Stranraer deserved a point” patter. We should have scored 4 or 5 in the second half; a combination of poor finishing/decision making (through on goal twice with the cut back on and choosing to shoot), goal line clearances and good saves from their keeper.

Dunachie put the shiters up their centre half’s, even if it was just a long ball over the top where he was second favourite to win. Connell’s set pieces are superb and he has to start from now on, as well as Logan. Midweek is a good time to see how McCall can fit they two and Allan in together. 

Goes without saying we need to be starting games the way we started the second half. The first half was as bad as anything we have seen in the last two seasons.

Overall, I thought a point last week was a decent starting point and a win today was important even at this stage. 

Stranraer surely won’t finish bottom again this season, especially if their number 9 keeps fit.

Edit: I thought the referee blew the whistle for a head injury for that offside call. If he didn’t and it was genuinely for offside, then that’s the worst decision I’ve ever seen. Must have been about 10 yards onside at least. Would have been funny to see the VAR lines for that one 

The linesman definitely flagged for offside, and play restarted with a free kick (not a drop ball). It was absolutely an offside decision.

Still can't believe that offside decision and the fact the ref agreed with it and gave Stranraer the free kick. Delighted to get the three points should have been atleast 3-0 if we had better finishing/decision making and I would be starting Logan and Kyle next week what a difference they made in the second half.

The referee having everything in his eye line, even if he needed a couple of seconds, Allan was still onside, makes it all the worse. Absolutely incredible decision. I highly doubt we would have scored from there as the defender got back but that is just an insane offside call. 

The Stranraer no. 9 is the first player I’ve seen in a long time make Lee Hamilton look tetchy and nervous. I’m almost sure if he doesn’t get injured, we don’t win that game. Saying that, the extremely strange officiating seemed to be trying to ensure we don’t win too.

Obviously it’s not the blistering start we all hoped for, but that’s fine imo. Two games in, unbeaten and with two clean sheets is solid. Last season we probably lose both of those games.

I think, as has been said, it’s time Kyle Connell comes in from the start. His delivery from literally any set piece is too valuable to keep on the bench. I’m still not quite in the “sit Allan down” camp but we all know he tends to need a few chances to score and it seems silly that we don’t pair him up with someone who could really facilitate that. I think if we could play Connell in the “10”, whilst keeping him close to Allan, they could be very effective.

6 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Completely agree, they had a fair bit of the ball and created some chances but nothing that really had me worried, what did was the fact we were so flat in the first half. Kinnear made good saves but again saves that a decent keeper should make. 

I agree with others that Foster looked good player and I was happy he came off but again don’t think Hamilton was getting anything like a runaround, yes had to work hard to contain him like the good defender he. 

Delighted to get 3 points on the board and hopefully the performances of a few will get better as they get match time. Stranraer have improved as well so it’s not likely this will be a bottom of the table clash when the league table shakes out. 

On 10/08/2024 at 17:37, Blue1870 said:

The game that got away. We should have taken something from that match. Foster was causing havoc until injury forced him off. Huffed and puffed after that with Clyde's aerial threat causing us problems. This match was similar to last weeks v spartans. High balls cost us against spartans. We should have equalised but final ball was poor with clyde threatening on the break as we pushed forward.

BTW that lino needs to give up. Clyde player looked 5 yards on at least with our player lying injured playing him on. Unreal. Shows the standard of officiating these days.

Tough one to take today.

Shows the standard knowledge of fans. The lino is absolutely spot on with the injured player

25 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Shows the standard knowledge of fans. The lino is absolutely spot on with the injured player

Not really mate said that at the game there could be a rule for injured players that not many know of. Majority of clyde fans thought it was onside.