Queen's v that lot down the road

6 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Wasn't a classic let's be honest. Both teams had very minimal chances. And for a full time side queens didn't look much more ahead of annan. From an annan perspective you could argue a draw was a fair result considering we hit the bar near the end, neither team created many chances. Queens 2nd came from tommy muir making a twat of it and he should have probably brought down his man and took a yellow in the middle of the park. We move on. If asked before a ball was kicked would I have took 6 points from the first 3 games I would have snapped your hand off. Man of the match was queens Hewitt for me looks a decent player. 

We put the ball I'm the net twice, you hit the bar, and you seriously think that equates to deserving a draw? 

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We put the ball I'm the net twice, you hit the bar, and you seriously think that equates to deserving a draw? 

Yes. Other than putting the ball in the net twice queens didn't really do that much. Yes I understand putting the ball in the net wins games but you can't honestly say you blew annan away today. It looked like two evenish teams that matched each other. Queens  being the full time side at home probably just shaded it. Neither team really tested the others goalie. I can think of annan testing your goalie once and hitting the bar near the end and queens scoring both real chances they had at goal. Hewitt for man of the match

2 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Yes. Other than putting the ball in the net twice queens didn't really do that much. Yes I understand putting the ball in the net wins games but you can't honestly say you blew annan away today. It looked like two evenish teams that matched each other. Queens  being the full time side at home probably just shaded it. Neither team really tested the others goalie. I can think of annan testing your goalie once and hitting the bar near the end and queens scoring both real chances they had at goal. Hewitt for man of the match

Bar the extra training during the week and possibly a chance to be slightly fitter I'm not sure the fact we are full time made all that much difference considering your team has ex full time players in it.

23 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

Let's celebrate our position. We'll undoubtedly have setbacks but this time last year we were probably looking down rather than up. Good to still have hope in late August!

This time last year, we'd just beaten Annan by 2 goals at home.  It meant we had 6 points out of 9 rather than this season's 7 at the same stage.  We followed it up last time with a win at Cove.  

It was a bright start.

I'm glad we've started well this season, but I think I'll need to see a bit more before getting too excited.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Well, what a difference a manager makes ... that was night and day compared to mind-numbing Bartley-ball last season.

Thought we were impressive for the first quarter, particularly with Kennedy looking lively and in the mood.  He faded away after his daft booking for diving (hope he gets telt for that).  Then the middle two quarters Annan came back into it (thought they looked decent and obviously carry a big set piece threat - but we dealt well with that) but in the final quarter when Annan naturally had to push forward more I was sure that they'd leave gaps and along came our second with a strong forward drive from Dickenson and a cracking finish from McKechnie.  I still think McKechnie can do damage for us but his decision making still needs work - think he was through on goal in the first half and should have squared it to Kennedy in open space and I think and we'd have scored.  Also young Walker (?) had a decent one-on-one that he probably should have put away, although he put in a good shift overall.

Probably not fair to single out players after such a good overall team performance.  However, whilst Douglas was good and got MOTM, for me I thought Hewitt was just outstanding (what a work rate and threat going forwards, never let up to the end) and Brydon was immense in central defence.  Young Oscar McIntyre has come on leaps and bounds from last season.  In midfield Benji looked terrific going forwards in the second half and Harry put in a great shift (don't think he was even booked for a change).  Dickenson's power in midfield was there for all to see when he came on and he's going to cause teams some problems in this league. First time I've seen McIntosh and he looked fine with what he had, but need to see more of him.  Oh, and a couple of fine saves from Stewart in goals worth a mention.

Also, Murphy's substitutions in the second half were exactly what was needed and at the right time.  We're clearly going to be stronger when Lyon comes back and we're not a huge threat up front yet, but we really look solid at the back and our midfield will be decent with Lyon and Dickenson back fit, so I don't think we should be fearing anyone in this league ... that's not to say we'll walk away with it, but we'll be in with a shout I'm sure.  Beginning to look as though unfancied Kelty will be a serious threat this season too.

All in all a fine day and good to see a decent crowd back in Palmy and making some noise for a change.  Just gotta hope that more of them keep coming back.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

This time last year, we'd just beaten Annan by 2 goals at home.  It meant we had 6 points out of 9 rather than this season's 7 at the same stage.  We followed it up last time with a win at Cove.  

It was a bright start with 3 of our first 4 games being away from home.  

I'm glad we've started well this season, but I think I'll need to see a bit more before getting too excited.

Wow. The wheels fell off badly. Must have blanked that from my mind. Thanks for raining on my parade MT!

6 minutes ago, Queens1919 said:

Bar the extra training during the week and possibly a chance to be slightly fitter I'm not sure the fact we are full time made all that much difference considering your team has ex full time players in it.

I'm sure being slightly fitter made a difference. I'm not making excuses it is what it is. Balls in the net is what counts. Like I said queens probably shaded it. Not sure what ex professional players you mean other than McGowan who is close to getting his free bus pass

1 minute ago, lyle be back said:

Wow. The wheels fell off badly. Must have blanked that from my mind. Thanks for raining on my parade MT!

I looked that up too. Big difference for me was we'd already concede 5 goals at home by this stage!

I'm sure being slightly fitter made a difference. I'm not making excuses it is what it is. Balls in the net is what counts. Like I said queens probably shaded it. Not sure what ex professional players you mean other than McGowan who is close to getting his free bus pass

And Todd?

1 minute ago, annanbear said:

Aye fair enough and todd. Forgot about him which says more about how he performed today.

Anyway. Think it is good that both Annan and Queens are doing so well. Long may it continue.

9 minutes ago, annanbear said:

I totally don't buy this "FT players are fitter" nonsense.  If anything, PT players work harder on their fitness, including in their own time.  Where being FT should help is on being able to work more on shape, set plays and specific game tactics etc

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I totally don't buy this "FT players are fitter" nonsense.  If anything, PT players work harder on their fitness, including in their own time.  Where being FT should help is on being able to work more on shape, set plays and specific game tactics etc

Well maybe you can make a request to your board about going part time as it somehow benefits the squad.

2 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Well maybe you can make a request to your board about going part time as it somehow benefits the squad.

Que?

4 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

Anyway. Think it is good that both Annan and Queens are doing so well. Long may it continue.

Aye it's great for teams down this way. We are often looked down on due to where we are on the map. I have no ill feelings about queens and follow your team on socials. A little bit bitter about Murphy and the players he took with him but will get over that soon enough.

Aye it's great for teams down this way. We are often looked down on due to where we are on the map. I have no ill feelings about queens and follow your team on socials. A little bit bitter about Murphy and the players he took with him but will get over that soon enough.

You can’t grudge people wanting to better themselves!

28 minutes ago, lyle be back said:

It wasn’t so much that the wheels fell off, more that the 3 wins Queens got from the first 4 games were against Cove, Annan and Edinburgh and 9 of the 11 wins they got all season came against the same 3 teams. Nobody knew at the time that Queens would only win 2 games out of 24 against the other 6 teams. 
28 points out of 36 v those three; 13 points out of 72 v the other 6.