Queen's v that lot down the road

I went along to this one. I thought Queens were the better team overall, maybe not a major threat going forward but solid (apart from a defensive lapse which game Annan a free header at the end of the frist half which was very well saved - it might have been a different story if that had gone in). I watched Queens a couple of times last season and they were dire, but today's performance was night and day.

1 hour ago, annanbear said:

Wasn't a classic let's be honest. Both teams had very minimal chances. And for a full time side queens didn't look much more ahead of annan. From an annan perspective you could argue a draw was a fair result considering we hit the bar near the end, neither team created many chances. Queens 2nd came from tommy muir making a twat of it and he should have probably brought down his man and took a yellow in the middle of the park. We move on. If asked before a ball was kicked would I have took 6 points from the first 3 games I would have snapped your hand off. Man of the match was queens Hewitt for me looks a decent player. 

Sorry, but you're completely deluded if you think Annan deserved anything from that game. You had a lot of the ball but our GK was barely tested. If you have so much possession and fail to make the opposition work you can't then complain when the opposition is more clinical. 

At HT I said "if we get an early goal it's game over as Annan are never scoring twice". It's not something I often say as a QoS fan against any opposition so I think it shows how highly I thought of Annan's attacking threat. It didn't help that for some reason your best player was hooked fairly early (Zaid) and Smith kindly decided to sit this one out. Other than big hoofs up to Goss there was nothing threatening from yourselves. 

You hit the bar after the game was done. I don't think it's a true story of the game though. We should have been 2 up at HT but for Walker not taking his chance and we weren't clinical enough when we broke forward in the second half. 

Given we weren't at full strength, I'll gladly take a comfortable 2-0 win against the side who were top of the league. 

20 minutes ago, Artemis said:

It wasn’t so much that the wheels fell off, more that the 3 wins Queens got from the first 4 games were against Cove, Annan and Edinburgh and 9 of the 11 wins they got all season came against the same 3 teams. Nobody knew at the time that Queens would only win 2 games out of 24 against the other 6 teams. 
28 points out of 36 v those three; 13 points out of 72 v the other 6.

Yes, we did launch an absolute nosedive after the opening 4 matches though.  In fact we only took 4 points from the next 33 available, and 3 of those did indeed come from Annan again.

Only a decent run round Christmas kept us just above water as the season withered away.

It was pitiful.  I'm fairly certain it won't be as bad this time, but the good start we've made isn't yet proof of it.

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Sorry, but you're completely deluded if you think Annan deserved anything from that game. You had a lot of the ball but our GK was barely tested. If you have so much possession and fail to make the opposition work you can't then complain when the opposition is more clinical. 

At HT I said "if we get an early goal it's game over as Annan are never scoring twice". It's not something I often say as a QoS fan against any opposition so I think it shows how highly I thought of Annan's attacking threat. It didn't help that for some reason your best player was hooked fairly early (Zaid) and Smith kindly decided to sit this one out. Other than big hoofs up to Goss there was nothing threatening from yourselves. 

You hit the bar after the game was done. I don't think it's a true story of the game though. We should have been 2 up at HT but for Walker not taking his chance and we weren't clinical enough when we broke forward in the second half. 

Given we weren't at full strength, I'll gladly take a comfortable 2-0 win against the side who were top of the league. 

I didn't say we were great or deserved the win. I said we had two real chances the whole game. I also said queens shaded it but if you think queens ran us off the park today you are deluded. If you look at the match stats it shows the game was fairly even. I will repeat myself and say neither team really created much.

1 hour ago, Dougie Mills said:

You can’t grudge people wanting to better themselves!

Nope I totally agree. I spoke to both matty Douglas and Peter Murphy at the end of season booze up after the stirling game last season. I asked matty are you staying here next season. He was honest and he said depends on the money. I sat right next to Murphy and asked him the same question. I actually said there's alot of rumours you are off to queens are you staying next season. His answer was that he wasn't going anywhere and he was staying for another season. But yes can't grudge them wanting full time. Even if matty has had to do coaching to make up extra money as his full time wage doesn't cover the money he made last season.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, we did launch an absolute nosedive after the opening 4 matches though.  In fact we only took 4 points from the next 33 available, and 3 of those did indeed come from Annan again.

Only a decent run round Christmas kept us just above water as the season withered away.

It was pitiful.  I'm fairly certain it won't be as bad this time, but the good start we've made isn't yet proof of it.

Yeah, I was just trying to highlight it was the order of the first few fixtures that gave a misleading impression. If the 5 fixtures that made up the remainder of the opening quarter had been played first, Queens would have been sitting on zero points after 5 games. And every minor upturn in form throughout the season included games against Annan, Edinburgh or Cove.
It is probably always best to wait until you’ve played everybody before you can even start to judge. All you get from the first few games are indications and so far they are good, especially in that Queens have conceded one goal compared with 6 in the first 3 games last season. 

13 minutes ago, annanbear said:

I didn't say we were great or deserved the win. I said we had two real chances the whole game. I also said queens shaded it but if you think queens ran us off the park today you are deluded. If you look at the match stats it shows the game was fairly even. I will repeat myself and say neither team really created much.

Yeah, I never said we ran you off the park whereas you clearly said you could argue a draw was a fair result - it wasn't. 

Stats don't count for much in football. Possession means absolutely nothing in games and I'd imagine Annan shaded that over the piece. A side could have 10 shots on target to another sides 2 shots on target but the side with two could still have the better chances. 

8 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Nope I totally agree. I spoke to both matty Douglas and Peter Murphy at the end of season booze up after the stirling game last season. I asked matty are you staying here next season. He was honest and he said depends on the money.*  I sat right next to Murphy and asked him the same question. I actually said there's alot of rumours you are off to queens are you staying next season. His answer was that he wasn't going anywhere and he was staying for another season.** But yes can't grudge them wanting full time. Even if matty has had to do coaching to make up extra money as his full time wage doesn't cover the money he made last season.*

* So Matty has left because the money is good but the money isn't good?

** A professional who doesn't disclose confidential information to a bunch of pissed up football fans? Good. 

5 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Yeah, I was just trying to highlight it was the order of the first few fixtures that gave a misleading impression. If the 5 fixtures that made up the remainder of the opening quarter had been played first, Queens would have been sitting on zero points after 5 games. And every minor upturn in form throughout the season included games against Annan, Edinburgh or Cove.
It is probably always best to wait until you’ve played everybody before you can even start to judge. All you get from the first few games are indications and so far they are good, especially in that Queens have conceded one goal compared with 6 in the first 3 games last season. 

Last season the optimists (myself included) were saying "Lets give Bartley the first 10 games or so before we judge him" given how poor we were. 

That it's being said we should wait until we've played everyone before we get too carried away this season is a brilliant position to be in. 

Edited by 19QOS19

44 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

* So Matty has left because the money is good but the money isn't good?

** A professional who doesn't disclose confidential information to a bunch of pissed up football fans? Good. 

I would have to disagree. Matty was honest and laid his cards on the table and said it was purely money for him. He had no loyalty to annan and can't really fault him for wanting to turn pro.  His part time wage at annan and the full time job he held last year doesn't cover his full time wage at Queens this season that's all. It was Murphy that wasn't completely honest even though their was rumours of his departure to Queens before the last game against stirling last season. 

Just now, annanbear said:

I would have to disagree. Matty was honest and laid his cards on the table and said it was purely money for him. He had no loyalty to annan and can't really fault him for wanting to turn pro.  His part time wage at annan and the full time job he held last year doesn't cover his full time wage at Queens this season that's all. It was Murphy that wasn't completely honest even though their was rumours of his departure to Queens before the last game against stirling last season. 

You're not that naive are you? Did you genuinely think Murphy (or any manager for that reason) would announce at an awards night they were going to leave you for your closest rivals? Given it was a piss up, would anything good have come from revealing such a thing? 

And are you not seeing your contradiction with the Douglas claim? You're saying he said it was all about the money for him (as it is with every single footballer in the world btw) but you're claiming he's now making less money. 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Last season the optimists (myself included) were saying "Lets give Bartley the first 10 games or so before we judge him" given how poor we were. 

That it's being said we should wait until we've played everyone before we get too carried away this season is a brilliant position to be in. 

Eh?

The point is that we're in a similar position this year to last at this point.  "Given how poor we were" isn't a thing, because at this stage we weren't.

Not really sure how anyone can come away from that game thinking Annan deserved at least a draw. Queens always looked more comfortable on the ball and had Walker taken his chance, where he should have scored, then the game is buried in the first half. 
Certainly night and day watching this side, compared to the shite served up by Marv last season. 
Cochrane pulling stings in the middle of the park, now looks to be the player we thought we’d signed. Dickinson had a bit of swagger and arrogance about himself and looks to be a player who can back it up. Thought Benji was our best player, especially in the second half he was like a man on a mission. 
I’ve seen enough already to say I’m fairly sure we’ll be in about it at the right end of the table this season. 
Decent support from Annan today, and hopefully with a bit a good season we’ll see better crowds returning back to Palmerston. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Eh?

The point is that we're in a similar position this year to last at this point.  "Given how poor we were" isn't a thing, because at this stage we weren't.

Things looked pretty promising until after the Cove away win. Then Mimnaugh was injured, Brydons loss impacted us and we we were utterly rank. It’s early days. I was curious to see how we started and am now cautiously optimistic. Although we have suffered injuries as per last season so far the ability to grind out results, a stronger and more resolute bunch of players who seem to want to play for this manager and each other is winning through. Long make it continue. Good to learn in Murphys interview that our transfer business isn’t done and to my mind further forward options would complete the picture. 

i have football mad friends up from England who want to see us live at Montrose so actually looking forward to this game! 

7 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Things looked pretty promising until after the Cove away win. Then Mimnaugh was injured, Brydons loss impacted us and we we were utterly rank. It’s early days. I was curious to see how we started and am now cautiously optimistic. Although we have suffered injuries as per last season so far the ability to grind out results, a stronger and more resolute bunch of players who seem to want to play for this manager and each other is winning through. Long make it continue. Good to learn in Murphys interview that our transfer business isn’t done and to my mind further forward options would complete the picture. 

i have football mad friends up from England who want to see us live at Montrose so actually looking forward to this game! 

Aye getting beat by alloa first game of season was promising…

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Eh?

But the reaction from the fans this season after just a few games (versus where we were at this stage last season) is about more than just comparing the results.  Watching the two teams (Bartley's and Murphy's) is like night and day - it's about the organisation, the enthusiasm, the drive, the will to win all across the park, each being confident in their roles - yesterday was a breath of fresh air and you could see the effect it had on the faces of the fans - can't remember seeing as many smiling faces at Palmy for ages.  At my age I'm not daft enough to say we'll steam roller this league like we did in 2012 or whenever it was, but this team will be solid and hard to beat.  I liked what I saw yesterday.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Eh?

Wee bit of revisionism here. I was going to put some quotes in from the match threads from the first 3 games last season but there's too many that it'll clog up the post tbh. Suffice to say, it wasn't as promising as you're remembering. 

I can absolutely remember saying I'd give Bartley at least until we've played everyone before starting to write him off. My take so far is I'll wait until the same time before I start to get optimistic a title challenge is a possibility - that's my point. It's night and day feelings from last season.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Things looked pretty promising until after the Cove away win. Then Mimnaugh was injured, Brydons loss impacted us and we we were utterly rank. 

See above. There's no doubt Mimnaugh was a big loss but he was available for the first Annan game but for some reason Bartley never started him (surprised?) and he played in the awful game against Montrose. I don't think we'd have been that much better off last season if he was fit. The whole system was the problem last season. 

I'd argue Murphy has had worse luck with injuries so far (and to important players as well) and we've still managed to gather up points.