Arbroath v Kelty

After the incredibly infuriating match and lacklustre cumbersome performance on Saturday combined with the overwhelming amount of abuse given out to McIntyre come the full time whistle I am not particularly looking forward to this. Once again after the start McIntyre has made to this season it is a game he absolutely has to win. If we finish this match on 1 or 2 points after 3 league games played, 2 of which were at home then we will already be falling behind what the stated target for this season is. 

This would not normally be an issue if it was anyone else but when McIntyre has managed us to ONE league victory since the start of 2024 the pressure is well and truly on especially with what looks like 2 tricky away days to Dumbarton and QoTs with a game against a decent Alloa side at Gayfield inbetween coming up next. 

I wouldn’t change the team too much. Stewart would be back to right midfield however and something needs done in the centre of the park. Gold coming back in would be a start to solving it but not sure what the answer is after that. 

Arbroath need to do so much better going forward and with the ball. We cannot play like we have the last 2 with slow ponderous passing side to side all day with Callaghan and the defenders before the latter attempts a 40 yard switch.

We need to get the wide players down the line and get crossing the ball into the box. Gallagher and Reilly need to know which one of them is to drop in and which one is to play on the shoulder. Arbroath need to be aggressive and show some signs of life going forward. Without jinxing it I think Keith Watson and Aidan McAdams have been our best 2 signings by far as it stands. They 2 and ToB look solid so I’m hoping that continues. 

The forecast right now is for another very gusty day so will potentially be a game of 2 completely different halves once again. Hopefully this is something that McIntyre decides to take into account within his preparations for the game this week…. 

Kelty seem to have got off to a decent enough start with 4 points. Watched highlights of them and Allan seems to be doing pretty well. No doubt he will end up coming back to haunt us. Lewis Moore also ex Arbroath seems to be one of their main players going forward. 

Wee side note - is there any outcome that does not lead to a kit clash? Remember seeing that as a topic of discussion on the new kits thread?

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

After the incredibly infuriating match and lacklustre cumbersome performance on Saturday combined with the overwhelming amount of abuse given out to McIntyre come the full time whistle I am not particularly looking forward to this. Once again after the start McIntyre has made to this season it is a game he absolutely has to win. If we finish this match on 1 or 2 points after 3 league games played, 2 of which were at home then we will already be falling behind what the stated target for this season is. 

This would not normally be an issue if it was anyone else but when McIntyre has managed us to ONE league victory since the start of 2024 the pressure is well and truly on especially with what looks like 2 tricky away days to Dumbarton and QoTs with a game against a decent Alloa side at Gayfield inbetween coming up next. 

I wouldn’t change the team too much. Stewart would be back to right midfield however and something needs done in the centre of the park. Gold coming back in would be a start to solving it but not sure what the answer is after that. 

Arbroath need to do so much better going forward and with the ball. We cannot play like we have the last 2 with slow ponderous passing side to side all day with Callaghan and the defenders before the latter attempts a 40 yard switch.

We need to get the wide players down the line and get crossing the ball into the box. Gallagher and Reilly need to know which one of them is to drop in and which one is to play on the shoulder. Arbroath need to be aggressive and show some signs of life going forward. Without jinxing it I think Keith Watson and Aidan McAdams have been our best 2 signings by far as it stands. They 2 and ToB look solid so I’m hoping that continues. 

The forecast right now is for another very gusty day so will potentially be a game of 2 completely different halves once again. Hopefully this is something that McIntyre decides to take into account within his preparations for the game this week…. 

Kelty seem to have got off to a decent enough start with 4 points. Watched highlights of them and Allan seems to be doing pretty well. No doubt he will end up coming back to haunt us. Lewis Moore also ex Arbroath seems to be one of their main players going forward. 

Wee side note - is there any outcome that does not lead to a kit clash? Remember seeing that as a topic of discussion on the new kits thread?

Been on holiday so not been to first two games and unfortunately missing Saturday now as well , apparently we've been playing ok but room for improvement, got off to a good start to the season but this is a game Arbroath would've had down as a home win banker would take a draw right now 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Been on holiday so not been to first two games and unfortunately missing Saturday now as well , apparently we've been playing ok but room for improvement, got off to a good start to the season but this is a game Arbroath would've had down as a home win banker would take a draw right now 

As it stands I wouldn’t have us down as a home win banker against Fort William (if they’re still even a team). 

Also the first ever league meeting between the teams I think? We have played Kelty in the League Cup a few years back, cracking game that, but never shared a league before ever. 

The last time I remember watching Kelty play in Arbroath before that was in a game against the Vics in what I think was the Junior Scottish Cup. My mate was playing that day. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I notice they’re offering hospitality for this for £40.

This is a real issue for the board. Once you struggle to sell hospitality packages even at knockdown prices then there should be loud alarm bells ringing.

Season ticket sales have been remarkably strong imo but once the other income streams start to take big hits, along with continued failure on the pitch, then they’ll have to act.

I imagine sponsorships, merch sales, catering etc are massively down along with prize money, tv, gate money etc.

29 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This is a real issue for the board. Once you struggle to sell hospitality packages even at knockdown prices then there should be loud alarm bells ringing.

Season ticket sales have been remarkably strong imo but once the other income streams start to take big hits, along with continued failure on the pitch, then they’ll have to act.

I imagine sponsorships, merch sales, catering etc are massively down along with prize money, tv, gate money etc.

Think they offer a different hospitality package in the downstairs cabin that’s a separate thing that happens in the main hospitality suite up the stairs. I’ve been in it a few times and it’s usually cheaper and casual dress. 

But you’re right though, it’s hard to get people into these things when the football is currently sitting at 2 home league victories in a full calendar year. 

I had asked my old man who’s had a season ticket forever (decided against it this year because he’s not happy at McIntyre still being gaffer) if he was going on Saturday past and couldn’t believe it when he said no. He’d usually atleast go to a game like that for a day out. 

Text me on Sunday saying… ‘Never created f**k all, that’s what the problem has always been since JM has came in. f**king clueless on how to get the best out of the team of players he inherited and has now made his own to win a game. Believe his record now sits at played 31 games and won 3. If my calculations are correct, unbelievable why he still has a job. 🤬’ 

The on field performance is by far and away the most important thing for a club and ours has been nothing short of pathetic for a long time now. There are no ultra high expectations either fans simply want to see a competitive football team that they can get behind. All the other things the club are doing and have done, a lot of very good stuff, is pretty meaningless if they do not perform on the park. 

The board made the decision to back McIntyre. Most people got behind that, but as soon as they did that McIntyre had to produce the goods and do it quickly. Like I said on here any other season you’d obviously not be happy with a poor LC campaign and starting the season off with 1 or 2 points after 3 league games but that would come with the caveat that there was a man in the dugout you had belief in and you could take a bad start or a poor run but McIntyre had to get off to a good start, especially at home…

Annan set the tone and then getting beat in your first league game of the season really got people annoyed, Saturday with absolutely everything in our favour, 10 man Montrose for half an hour with Storm Babet at your back and never made the Montrose keeper make a fkn save. Then to come out and say what he said after… 

If results don’t come and come soon they absolutely need to pull the trigger, they should already be putting a contingency in place and talking about potential candidates because the balance of probability says this isn’t getting turned around. Never mind all the other shit. Sort the actual football out so the fans have something to get behind and everything else takes care of itself!!!

I tried to take the positives out of Saturday. We were impressive in the first half against the wind and kept a clean sheet. Both strikers also got more minutes in their legs.

Based on Saturday slater and Callaghan shouldn’t start but I imagine they do. 

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

We also heard from the forum club apologists that apparently we've closed the corner pie huts and toilets because there isn't enough demand to afford to operate.  These special hospitality deals are normally offered in pre season, not during the season itself, so that's another worrying sign.

And meanwhile, McIntyre continues serenely on.  

Actually don't know what to say about this or how we line up, But it can't be any worse than Saturdays 2nd half, 

100% Scott Allan will cruise it and will come back to haunt us,

I can't believe we are starting a season and having Callaghan as our creative source, I'm think everyone expected him to be a squad player, 

Hopefully Dow and Gold are getting back to fitness and can be involved, Get one of the 3 RBs on the bench to actually play at RB and get Scotty Stewart up the pitch, Play with a bit more intensity and urgency, 

A massive improvement needed, I'm still shocked there hasn't been more quality added to the squad, Perhaps the board are not sanctioning anymore of his signings until there is improvement?

Off the field things like the cheaper hospitality was always gonna happen, especially with the run we are on, seems a bit of a mess on and off the pitch just now

2 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

Perhaps all the negative publicity about Pie Bobs has affected things. 

Never had a pie from there but I thought the things that were said were way over the top and bordering on libel. 

Correct. Folk calling it “dog slop” and such like should have a word with themselves. That’s someone business/livelihood. What I did notice was that a lot of the posts came from folk that don’t go to Gayfield or are just happy to pile on whenever they can. Our Facebook is unreadable just now. 

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Correct. Folk calling it “dog slop” and such like should have a word with themselves. That’s someone business/livelihood. What I did notice was that a lot of the posts came from folk that don’t go to Gayfield or are just happy to pile on whenever they can. Our Facebook is unreadable just now. 

Exactly. I love a pie, pies are brilliant, but fkn hell it’s only a pie - it’s a bit of pastry with some meat in it - not sure where all the pie connoisseurs come from 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Exactly. I love a pie, pies are brilliant, but fkn hell it’s only a pie - it’s a bit of pastry with some meat in it - not sure where all the pie connoisseurs come from 

Pie bobs actually do a cracking kebab pie. There potato and bean effort is also very nice.

31 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Pie bobs actually do a cracking kebab pie. There potato and bean effort is also very nice.

Kebab meat, tatties or beans shouldn’t be anywhere near pies, not for me Beaky 

I’d bring bisland back in at right back and put stewart in centre mid alongside gold if fit or slater. Seen him play there before when he first joined us and he was good, could be the physical presence we need.

Just to clarify my opinion Robertsons pies and miles better than pie bobs 😂

dont know how he’ll line up but play one the right-backs actually at right-back get Stewart in midfield and ideally get Callaghan and slater in the stands 

You guys really need to give McIntyre a break let him do what he does on Saturday then you can have a go if it don't go well  😂😂, far too early in the season to be slating your manager already 😄

17 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

You guys really need to give McIntyre a break let him do what he does on Saturday then you can have a go if it don't go well  😂😂, far too early in the season to be slating your manager already 😄

He’s been manager for about 9 months though the start to this season usually would be no issue but it goes much deeper than that

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

It occurred to me that most people with strong views on Gayfield and Pie Bobs had little to no recent experience of either. 

8 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

It occurred to me that most people with strong views on Gayfield and Pie Bobs had little to no recent experience of either. 

Wait, are you trying to say that people who live within a few minutes drive of Robertsons and Pie Bobs don't have as strong a view as people who travel 100 miles to go to a game and can't just pop into the shop?  How inexplicably strange.