Aberdeen v Queen’s Park

A repeat of 2006 would do nicely, but can’t see it. Thought Aberdeen looked good yesterday. We have no settled defence and a back three that may only consist of one natural centre back will likely be a problem.

Would rather we went up and had a go than sit in. The worst that could happen is a pumping. We sat in at Hibs and got a chasing anyway, so might as well try and be a bit more adventurous. 

Would be happy with staying in the game as long as possible and giving a decent account of ourselves. Anything beyond that is dreamland stuff. 

The Calderwood era highlights were consistent Top 4 finishes (other than 6th once) and a great European season in 07/08.

The lowlights were most certainly domestic cup performances - Jimmy seemed to be of the Dutch mindset that these were much less important than the league - and his era was punctuated by a few cup shockers including Queens x 2.  

Interesting seeing the names from then - the penalty miss was from Darren Mackie, which recalling his effort that ended up in a duck pond when he moved to Phoenix AZ, is no real surprise.

image.png.a465784e828cdbbfddf3c4cdeed422cb.png

Edited by tarapoa

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The Calderwood era highlights were consistent Top 4 finishes (other than 6th once) and a great European season in 07/08.

The lowlights were most certainly domestic cup performances - Jimmy seemed to be of the Dutch mindset that these were much less important than the league - and his era was punctuated by a few cup shockers including Queens x 2.  

Interesting seeing the names from then - the penalty miss was from Darren Mackie, which recalling his effort that ended up in a duck pond when he moved to Phoenix AZ, is no real surprise.

I take it that that is Stuart Kettlewell in the QP side.

14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Queens Park assistant manager lining up for the Dons there. 

I see they've just signed Austin Samuels as well. Remember him? 

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I take it that that is Stuart Kettlewell in the QP side.

Aye. Great player for us. That team goes down in QP folklore and not just because of the Aberdeen game. We were promoted that season as well. Billy Stark had us playing some superb football and the squad was full of big characters as well. Great times. 

On 12/08/2024 at 16:58, tarapoa said:

Was this the season before we qualified for Europe? What a dire team we put out here. Remember the paper the next day with Anderson with his face in his hands only one who looked gutted 

On 13/08/2024 at 15:37, Flammable sheep said:

Looking at that line up, I'm not surprised we lost

100% - Jamie Winter & Gary Dempsey??? We did well to take it as far as penalties.

But who the f*ck was Daniel Smith? I have no recollection of him whatsoever. I've looked him up on the AFC Heritage website, and frankly I'm none the wiser.

6 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

100% - Jamie Winter & Gary Dempsey??? We did well to take it as far as penalties.

But who the f*ck was Daniel Smith? I have no recollection of him whatsoever. I've looked him up on the AFC Heritage website, and frankly I'm none the wiser.

Left back. Was garbage. Think we loaned him from some lower league jobbers down south.

16 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

10 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

Left back. Was garbage. Think we loaned him from some lower league jobbers down south.

Was from Sunderland not sure that’s where we took him from. Fancied himself a bit pretty boy with earring and fake tan. Been suited more in Geordie shore than a football pitch 

20 hours ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

A slow Jayden Richardson 

6 hours ago, Moorie said:

Was from Sunderland not sure that’s where we took him from. Fancied himself a bit pretty boy with earring and fake tan. Been suited more in Geordie shore than a football pitch 

Yeah we signed him from Sunderland on a three year contract.

Made debut at Love St, and mind saying to my son within the first twenty minutes that he was shite.

Think he maybe just scraped into double figures in terms of appearances before being released a year early from his contract 

Edited by Sheep62

5 minutes ago, Stu_81 said:

Dons starting line up not filling me with confidence, queens a decent side middle to front, could be a tricky afternoon this, reds need an early goal. 

Pretty much same as last week. Milne in for Ruby the only change. 

Looks like Zach Mauchin is our latest defensive casualty with Ujdur getting his second start. MacGregor on the bench but at least gives us an option to make a substitution which won't weaken the side.