Airdrie vs Queen’s Park

15 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Shall we just all agree it will be 1-1 as usual with each team conceding a soft goal

You mean we're NOT going for a five goal win? Where's the ambition smh

23 minutes ago, an86 said:

I see away fans have been behind the goals for a few games. Assume that’s just for bigger supports and we’ll be in the usual bit? 

Would assume so yes.

The pattern of draws will not continue and I have no strong feelings about how we'll line up as injuries appear a matter of concern. 

If we have the strongest side possible I can see a narrow home win, and with no Paton to be distracted by, who can be the QP party villain? 

I think I've predicted a draw mind you. 

after a couple of sore ones hopefully we can steady things, would be happy enough with a draw, not really kept up with QP in terms of who has come in / left over the summer, if we get the new defender in hopefully things tighten up at the back.

A colleague shared this interesting table showing minutes played by U21 players last season. Both QP and Airdrie topping the table. Fair to say that Airdrie made a better fist of it than us last season as the Beuker/Veldman experiment in the first half of the season was disastrous for QP. Once we added some experience to the team spine the results dramatically improved.

Most of our young squad have now had a full season of Championship football under the belts. And despite losing some players in the off season, I think Callum Davidson has added further experience to the squad along with some promising youthful additions such as Dane Murray and Hinds.  Airdrie on the other hand seem to have lost a lot of experienced players in the off season and like us have a string of injuries in defence. 

I am hoping that we have enough street smarts to see us through and that the talented youngsters of Airdrie continue making the mistakes that youngsters inevitably do and that we can capitalise on it.  So my money is on a narrow away win.

U21 minutes.jpg

19 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

3-0 QP.

...and then we'll ease off in the second half.

Quite confident after the Aberdeen game so I'll go for that away win too. I'd like to see Thomson in the midfield now we seem to have plugged the gaps at the back and a decent run for McLeish. We need him ready for the first team given the lack of options if Rudden isn't playing.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Quite confident after the Aberdeen game so I'll go for that away win too. I'd like to see Thomson in the midfield now we seem to have plugged the gaps at the back and a decent run for McLeish. We need him ready for the first team given the lack of options if Rudden isn't playing.

I could be wrong here but I think Ryan Duncan has played up front before, so he's an option if things go south for Rudden as well

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I'm looking for runners from midfield, which we look to have, and useful loitering of wing backs at the back post for our goals. Ferrie seems set on a shutout. Most disciplined back five I can remember on Saturday since McGeever played thanks to Kerr bossing it.

Obviously a couple of recent pumpings, but I watched the Airdrie v Raith game on our Saturday off and thought they looked handy. They’ll be looking at Queen’s Park at home as a game they should be taking something from. We’ve looked reasonably solid against Aberdeen and Livi, but need to take our chances when they come. For me, this has draw written all over it again. 

Issue 1 of the relaunched Broomfield Bulletin out now! Subscribe and receive it in your inbox to read about the opening game at Broomfield, Airdrie’s Olympian, Jimmy Boyle, our recent head-to-head with Queen’s Park and the latest in the Championship. 

https://wisemensay.substack.com/?utm_campaign=pub-share-checklist

11 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

Phenomenal injury list of defenders - Fox, Reid, Tizzard, Mauchin, Kerr and Thomson. At least we've got some cover now.

We also have a new centre back pairing both making their debuts. Perhaps the 1-1 maybe off the table today!