Unpopular music opinions

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Of course they do, and that’s a legitimate criticism. But there are also people who fall over themselves to be seen not liking the ‘popular’ stuff. 

I remember being a teenager and REM hit the big time. They had 3 massive albums in a row - Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Monster - and folk came crawling out of the woodwork to say that only their early albums were good because they had sold out. 

I’m more talking about the recent influx of people broadcasting they don’t care Oasis are doing a comeback tour and that level of thinking. You aren’t in the 90’s anymore it’s very easy to avoid music/tv you don’t like. 

If you no longer like a band who has sold out to become mainstream then that is a different thing.

47 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m more talking about the recent influx of people broadcasting they don’t care Oasis are doing a comeback tour and that level of thinking. You aren’t in the 90’s anymore it’s very easy to avoid music/tv you don’t like. 

If you no longer like a band who has sold out to become mainstream then that is a different thing.

Tbf, I don't think that part is 100% true. Oasis are before my time and I've heard their songs thousands of times in my life, all involuntarily. Its one of the reasons I hate them.

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Tbf, I don't think that part is 100% true. Oasis are before my time and I've heard their songs thousands of times in my life, all involuntarily. It’s one of the reasons I hate them.

I suppose you can’t avoid certain things entirely, particularly in public but the 90’s (unless you had sky) you’d have 5 tv channels, radio 1 and Atlantic 252 so you really didn’t have a choice when compared to what you get nowadays.

I tend to listen to podcasts on my commute to work these days and avoid the radio entirely so I wouldn’t have heard most songs on the current A list.

59 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Wonderwall is an absolutely dreadful song, and it baffles me that it's considered amongst Oasis's best

Even from the B-sides, Acquiesce, Half the World Away and the Masterplan are miles better.

Pixies, Buzzcocks, Suede, Urusei Yatsura, The Delgados, The Cardigans, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ash, are amongst a diverse bunch of bands, whom released their best songs wherever they saw fit. 

Indeed, whilst we all may have our opinions on Peter Cook, this absolutely illustrates my point:

At risk of taking the thread off topic; some incredible performances on this show, including Kate Bush, The Only Ones, and Tom Robinson Band.....

Edited by Dan Electro
Bad thumb.

8 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Wonderwall is an absolutely dreadful song, and it baffles me that it's considered amongst Oasis's best

Even from the B-sides, Acquiesce, Half the World Away and the Masterplan are miles better.

I agree with that. It is an odd choice to be so iconic. 

I hated Oasis and Blur, and that period where they were f**king everywhere was torture.

Younger P&Bers probably can't understand just how mental England went over having some new young musicians who were popular internationally. You couldn't get away from them; you'd be besieged by their music wherever you went. The national news had a countdown to the release of one of Oasis' albums, FFS. One of those occasional times where it feels like the world's gone mad, like when Diana Spencer died.

11 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Speaking of Blur, Gorillaz is by far Damon Albarn's best work. Their first 3 albums are excellent.

Not a massive fan of Gorillaz either, but they do have a few excellent songs.

Blur had Song 2, and that was an accident.

Edit: much like Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy, which was a pisstake of death metal and became one of his most popular tunes. There's probably a whole subgenre of songs that were made as a joke, only to be hugely popular.

Edited by BFTD

Don't often post on the forum unless it's to post a chess loss but, as an acolyte of the 70s/80s soul/dance/British jazz funk scene, Chic were shite, apart from 3 decent tracks at best. 

45 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Don't often post on the forum unless it's to post a chess loss but, as an acolyte of the 70s/80s soul/dance/British jazz funk scene, Chic were shite, apart from 3 decent tracks at best. 

Not going to say you're wrong, but I've got a Chic/Sister Sledge Best Of CD somewhere and it's absolutely crammed with wall-to-wall bangers.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Not going to say you're wrong, but I've got a Chic/Sister Sledge Best Of CD somewhere and it's absolutely crammed with wall-to-wall bangers.

I'll give you the 12" of Everybody Dance, but Sister Sledge's Thinking Of You, and Lost In Music, trump whatever Chic came out with, imo. But horses for courses, of course.

35 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

I'll give you the 12" of Everybody Dance, but Sister Sledge's Thinking Of You, and Lost In Music, trump whatever Chic came out with, imo. But horses for courses, of course.

But I also appreciate Chic's place in the pantheon of the genre.  Sister Sledge aren't at that level. I just thought they were overrated given the hype they were given, although Nile Rodgers is up there for what he's done full stop. 

Edited by N5 Spur
typo

11 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Yoko Ono did nothing wrong

There seems to be a bit of generational divide there - I've noticed a lot of "Yoko was treated unfairly" stuff on YouTube lately.

Personally, whatever her intentions were, Lennon's the dick for insisting on bringing his girlfriend in to work. Men get off way too lightly by people playing the "he was hypnotised by a succubus" card - that's not a thing, stop absolving people of responsibility just because they're horny.

Some of the stuff they put on at BBC Proms is wonderful. This year alone they've had Sam Smith, a disco prom which is on BBC Two Tonight and a Doctor Who prom which would have been brilliant.

4 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Some of the stuff they put on at BBC Proms is wonderful. This year alone they've had Sam Smith, a disco prom which is on BBC Two Tonight and a Doctor Who prom which would have been brilliant.

Think you're the winner so far TBH. That all sounds f**king awful.