Unpopular music opinions

On 30/08/2024 at 22:26, N5 Spur said:

Don't often post on the forum unless it's to post a chess loss but, as an acolyte of the 70s/80s soul/dance/British jazz funk scene, Chic were shite, apart from 3 decent tracks at best. 

WHat do you think about the first Cymande album? One of my favourite albums ever. Don't think I've listened to any other funk apart from Mothership Connection from Parliament.

On 29/08/2024 at 07:36, BFTD said:

I hated Oasis and Blur, and that period where they were f**king everywhere was torture.

Younger P&Bers probably can't understand just how mental England went over having some new young musicians who were popular internationally. You couldn't get away from them; you'd be besieged by their music wherever you went. The national news had a countdown to the release of one of Oasis' albums, FFS. One of those occasional times where it feels like the world's gone mad, like when Diana Spencer died.

Was it a bit like Rollermania?

8 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

WHat do you think about the first Cymande album? One of my favourite albums ever. Don't think I've listened to any other funk apart from Mothership Connection from Parliament.

I think the band were very underrated and saying that I don't mind listening to them, but it's more of a background listen.  Can't really go wrong with Parliament, plus the likes of George Clinton as standalone, Rick James, Sly & The Family Stone, T-Connection - the 70s list of quality funk artists is long, especially if one goes into the funk/disco genre - Fat Larry's Band, for example.  Even the likes of Kool & The Gang's early stuff is very good before they sold (or should that be souled) out (for which I can't blame any artist for doing) and became a pop band.

On 29/08/2024 at 07:36, BFTD said:

I hated Oasis and Blur, and that period where they were f**king everywhere was torture.

Younger P&Bers probably can't understand just how mental England went over having some new young musicians who were popular internationally. You couldn't get away from them; you'd be besieged by their music wherever you went. The national news had a countdown to the release of one of Oasis' albums, FFS. One of those occasional times where it feels like the world's gone mad, like when Diana Spencer died.

I was a fan of both blur and oasis at the time. The msm hype trailed the real excitement by about two years. Blur's game changer was modern life is rubbish, the album before parklife, which had also already been released by the time the red tops noticed. Oasis had  a full year of NME/radio 1 level hype.

The head to head single manufaured rivalry was a massive antclimax with oasis putting out a below par mediocre effort and blur released utter shit self parody. 

I think it's a travesty that what people remember is pictures in the Sun of Liam Gallagher holding patsy kensit and flicking the Vs and Keith f**king Allen rather than say the naive excitement behind rock n roll star or a bunch of pished up kids moshing to Sunday Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I was a fan of both blur and oasis at the time. The msm hype trailed the real excitement by about two years. Blur's game changer was modern life is rubbish, the album before parklife, which had also already been released by the time the red tops noticed. Oasis had  a full year of NME/radio 1 level hype.

The head to head single manufaured rivalry was a massive antclimax with oasis putting out a below par mediocre effort and blur released utter shit self parody. 

I think it's a travesty that what people remember is pictures in the Sun of Liam Gallagher holding patsy kensit and flicking the Vs and Keith f**king Allen rather than say the naive excitement behind rock n roll star or a bunch of pished up kids moshing to Sunday Sunday. 

True, Roll With It and Country House were both shite. Both bands were capable of much better at the time. 

A year earlier it could have been Live Forever v Girls and Boys.

Number 3 in charts that week was The Original - I Luv U Baby... which kinda shows how shite the charts were at that time.

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Was it a bit like Rollermania?

I'm just too young to have lived through that, thankfully.

The weird thing is that Nineties dance music drove me nuts at the time, which is probably another unpopular opinion. When I hear it now, I usually quite like it. Still hasn't happened with Blur/Oasis (although I think most people had some sort of appreciation for Pulp).

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

But...Jo Guest was in a Blur video.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We've been missing a "Things You Didn't Know Glamour Models Were In" thread.

Spoiler

bc3kad.jpg

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We've been missing a "Things You Didn't Know Glamour Models Were In" thread.

Hide contents

bc3kad.jpg

I am 99% certain that Teresa May (be sure of the spelling when googling) was in the original, banned video for Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I am 99% certain that Teresa May (be sure of the spelling when googling) was in the original, banned video for Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Dunno why, but Google insists that there's no such person, and insists on showing me pictures of some old Prime Minister or something  :rolleyes:

Linsey Dawn McKenzie, of Sunday Sport countdown to legality fame, was apparently in the original version of Aphex Twin's Rubber Johnny video, and gets a mention in the credits. Never managed to track down the version that she's in, but I'm guessing it's supremely f**ked up.

40 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Ron Jeremy was in a Mercury Rev video, as i remember it he was with some busty ladies on a cock shaped spaceship but it seems to have been disappeared. 

I'm sur Jo Guest has done better videos 

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Dunno why, but Google insists that there's no such person, and insists on showing me pictures of some old Prime Minister or something  :rolleyes:

Linsey Dawn McKenzie, of Sunday Sport countdown to legality fame, was apparently in the original version of Aphex Twin's Rubber Johnny video, and gets a mention in the credits. Never managed to track down the version that she's in, but I'm guessing it's supremely f**ked up.

You have to add "model" to the search.

Spoiler

0_httpscdnimagesdailystarcoukdynamic122p

• 2 weeks later...