Rock Bottom Cove V High(ish) flying Montrose

Sorry to add to Cove's woes but Montrose are solid as a rock, no easy points to be gained from the Mo this season, for any side in this league.

3 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Thought I would start this one early as it’s getting fairly clear it’s a must win for Paul Hartley. 

Would love us to get something from this but the odds are stacked heavily against. 

Would you not be happier being beaten and Hartley being dismissed?

Defensively we are polar opposites, managerial talent we are miles apart; this could easily be a repeat of what happened in March with the fans calling for action from our board at full time.

To add to our woes we're still short up top and who knows where Mitch is.

Optimistically we're at home. Glass and Fyvie seem to be reuniting their connection of a few years ago and young Dons Findlay Marshall and Adam Emslie are undoubtedly talents. 

Can only see a Montrose win though. 

Score Prediction: Cove 0 Montrose 2

Edited by CoveRangers1922

3 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

do you really think Hartley will get the bullet if Montrose beat you this weekend?  Can you afford to sack him, and will Sheran want to risk the wrath of his daughter?

I'd say he's under severe, and increasing pressure, each game that goes by without a win. You'd be hard pushed to find any Cove fan that would want to keep him. He's working on a tighter budget this year evidently but his time was up long ago for me.

You've hit the nail on the head, it's down to cost to get rid of him and clearly his links with Sheran. We're, I guess, the only SPFL club without an assistant manager. That's cost related in my eyes too.

Our next league games after this one are Kelty (A), Caley (A), Arbroath (H), Alloa (A), QoS (H), Mo (A)

Tough run that gets tougher until a win and some confidence is restored. Hard to get off the slippery slope.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 hours ago, broomiesniper said:

do you really think Hartley will get the bullet if Montrose beat you this weekend?  Can you afford to sack him, and will Sheran want to risk the wrath of his daughter?

Some of our fans don’t like rumours but it’s being said by a good few stalwarts that last years attempt to dislodge him (coincidentally after Montrose battered us the last time) was stalled by money. I’ve no doubt in my mind the benefactor moving on is a direct result of this but I stress that’s a personal opinion. Hugely sad if that’s the case as I would be of the opinion that the individual in question has brought more ‘Ace Moments’ to the club than the manager has. Only my opinion mind before folk get themselves in a lather. 

The club is massively in debt that we are told isn’t an issue (apparently it wasn’t a issue at Northern Rock either 😂) and I imagine the perhaps high 5 to low 6 figure sum required to terminate just simply isn’t an option, most clubs seem to just keep them on the payroll. Like others have said, we have no Assistant very little coaching and scouting network so everything is down to the bare bones. 

I’ve no desire to see the manager out of a job but it’s coming to the end now, fans are voting with their feet, spaces in corporate (which will be of more interest to the board than the fans). 

Not an easy game by any matter of means. Cove have enough experience in their squad and will click back into winning ways soon (hopefully not today).

Hopefully last week's result and performance will be a big boost.  We have to start  putting away the chances though.

Great to see SP busy during the week and offering the guts of the squad 2 year deals.

Dillon back to bolster a pretty mean defence. Some of the injured lads should be close to return. All in all, things looking positive. Hopefully a win today to drive another nail into the Hartley coffin.

2 hours ago, The Gable Endie said:

Too many boys off it today. Thought Hannah was rightfully hooked at half time but we didn’t look any the better for it. It wasn’t like Cove were any good either, we were just even worse than them.

Was Hannah the boy with the ginger hair? Long time since I’ve seen a player so one footed. His first touch was abysmal. 

That’s a fair assessment tho, was surprised what resistance Mo put up in the second half. In contrast Mitch, Scully, Yule and Fyvie were all at their best today and I think when that happens we are incredibly good at this level. It felt a tiny bit like the L1 winning side, or maybe I’ve just had too many Madris! 

25 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

Was Hannah the boy with the ginger hair? Long time since I’ve seen a player so one footed. His first touch was abysmal. 

Yes that’s the one. Bizarre display from him after getting MOTM last week against Queen of the South and looking genuinely sound so far. Hopefully a blip and he will get back to what we know he can do.

2 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

That’s a fair assessment tho, was surprised what resistance Mo put up in the second half. In contrast Mitch, Scully, Yule and Fyvie were all at their best today and I think when that happens we are incredibly good at this level. It felt a tiny bit like the L1 winning side, or maybe I’ve just had too many Madris! 

Fyvie had the referee in his pocket from the off. Greeting at every decision that went against Cove and collapsing every time anyone brushed against him. 

• 2 weeks later...