Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

A truly dreadful game of football,  won by the goal it deserved.   

It was obvious from about 25 minutes in we were getting beat, cause we appear to have jettisoned any idea how to play football in the space of a month.   Naismith seems to have gone into a death spiral and is making baffling decisions in every game now.    Cannot see how he gets himself out of it the way things are, and no sure he'll get the chance. 

Really enjoyed it, thought United were great. 

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m pleased with the result but wouldn’t call us ‘great’.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. We didn't really consistently threaten a Hearts a team who'd played in mid-week, are currently low on confidence and had no composure in front of goal.

Work has kept me busy these past couple of months so this was my first chance to see United this season. Babunski looks quite clearly adrift deployed out-wide. Van der Sande did as best he could with limited support around him to link up with at times. Felt a bit sorry for him as Moult and Dalby were able to compliment each other well after he'd been left to do a lot of chasing by himself until he was subbed. I'd been hearing mixed things about Adegboyega, but was very impressed with him today. I'm very pleased that my fears about Graham and his form in 2021/22 being a purple patch are increasingly looking to be unfounded.

It's brilliant to be hitting the international break sitting third and unbeaten after promotion. However, I hope we can start winning a little more convincingly in future. In the league and the cup we've gotten Hearts and the Maureens at fortunate times after they'd played in Europe and last week St. Johnstone repeatedly shot themselves in the foot between awful finishing, crap goalkeeping and the sheer stupidity of their striker.

Edited by captainkev

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Two very poor quality teams playing dull football.  Both keepers pretty much uninvolved.

Fair play on the win though

I think United have now lost 2 games in 23.  How are Hearts getting on?

edit : or one in 19 if you prefer. 

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, captainkev said:

However, I hope we can start winning a little more convincingly in future. 

Jeez, a win is a win.

We barely won convincingly in the Championship last season. What makes you think it's going to get better in this league? 

There are no easy games in this league. Home or away. Every point is welcome and will make a difference to where we end up. Regardless of how Hearts are doing,I'd bite your hands for a win at Tynecastle any day of the week. 

16 minutes ago, Groot said:

Jeez, a win is a win.

We barely won convincingly in the Championship last season. What makes you think it's going to get better in this league? 

There are no easy games in this league. Home or away. Every point is welcome and will make a difference to where we end up. Regardless of how Hearts are doing,I'd bite your hands for a win at Tynecastle any day of the week. 

6-0 v Arbroath, 5-0 v Jags and half a dozen other big ones were fairly covincing. 

1 hour ago, Groot said:

Jeez, a win is a win.

Make no mistake, I'm delighted with the win whatever my concerns may be. As I said, this is the first time I've been able to see United this season, but going off today's performance against a badly out of form Hearts team who'd been in Europe mid-week then I think/hope we've got room to improve.

Whether that improvement happens could be the difference between continuing to rack up wins and a top six place finish becoming a realistic possibility, or more often seeing points lost like 3 weeks ago up in Dingwall, leaving us looking over our shoulder hoping not to be drawn into the relegation scrap.

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

6-0 v Arbroath, 5-0 v Jags and half a dozen other big ones were fairly covincing. 

Yep, Raith did remarkably well last season pushing us as long as they did, but we practically strolled the entire remainder of the season after we beat them 2-1 at Tannadice. Of course there were plenty of uncomfortable moments last season, but we finished with 6 points more than Raith whose own points total was higher than those of the champions of the previous two seasons.

Edited by captainkev

10 hours ago, adamntg said:

😂

Ragin’

At Hearts,  certainly.   A dreadful performance.  I'm not having United as having played well though.   They defended pretty well but played long balls up to strikers ineffectually for pretty much the entire game.   The right back and left midfielder had good games but till the scuffed goal they'd looked toothless.

They look like they'll be fine in the league because being defensively solid I'd 90% of the battle in this league but there was very little quality on show

45 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

At Hearts,  certainly.   A dreadful performance.  I'm not having United as having played well though.   They defended pretty well but played long balls up to strikers ineffectually for pretty much the entire game.   The right back and left midfielder had good games but till the scuffed goal they'd looked toothless.

They look like they'll be fine in the league because being defensively solid I'd 90% of the battle in this league but there was very little quality on show

Stephenson and Graham could both have scored with headers inside the six yard box; with a bit more composure and decision making Trapanovski would’ve taken advantage on one of several breaks and Sibbald’s shot at the end should have been 2-0.  

I don’t recall Hearts having a proper shot from inside the box. 

United fans who wanted to go to the game and couldn’t get tickets must be a bit pissed off by the number of empty seats in the home end.

And no I’m not talking about Jambos leaving early, I’m talking about the many (I assume) season ticket holders who didn’t show up yesterday.  Quite a number of empty seats.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Kickback for this.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

United fans who wanted to go to the game and couldn’t get tickets must be a bit pissed off by the number of empty seats in the home end.

And no I’m not talking about Jambos leaving early, I’m talking about the many (I assume) season ticket holders who didn’t show up yesterday.  Quite a number of empty seats.

On a side issue, I was astonished by the number of Hearts fans who left when the goal went in. There was still 15 minutes plus stoppage time left.