🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What about the smaller nations who consistently manage it? What’s their secret?

Its extremely foolish to think a countries population determines how successful they are at international football.

I didn't say it determined it but it has a major impact. 

To answer your question and in a nutshell, it very much cultural IMO. Healthier lifestyle, less obesity, a lot better diets, generally a fitter population with less illnesses etc goes a long way towards producing better athletes. 

There are obviously a lot of different reasons but you could be here all day long debating it,l as its not clear cut 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You’ve used the absolute extreme to make your point, I can do that too. Why are China and India not that two best footballing nations? They should be surely?

Football is not the main sport in those countries. 

Tell you what, you should look on the positive side. Scotland has only a tenth of the number of murders per year compared to Germany and England. Also only a tenth of the number of road deaths per annum. 
Maybe these nations should go to countries like Scotland to figure out how to reduce the crime rates, accident rates etc.

12 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Portugal, Holland and Belgium have won the grand total of 2 Euros between them EVER!. Christ even Denmark and Greece have managed to win one Euros.

Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina on the other hand……

Mate, give it up. Not one single person on here is saying that population is the ONLY driver for success. 

You are the only one holding an “extreme” view by saying it is completely irrelevant. 

What absolute utter bollocks. 

I’ve never read so much word salad in all my days on this website.  I didn’t say people are saying population was the only driver. You’ve made that up.

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You’ve used the absolute extreme to make your point, I can do that too. Why are China and India not that two best footballing nations? They should be surely?

I'm not sure how you've went so far with this. Ok think of it like this.

You've got 2 imaginary nations, nation A and nation B. Who both have the exact same coaching level, infrastructure and facilities.

Nation A have a population of 20 million.

Nation B have a population of 5 million.

What would happen is nation A would consistently produce top players at a higher rate than nation B. Simply because they have more footballers.

Nobody is saying that coaching, infrastructure or facilities aren't important. Only that they are joined by population as being another factor.

1 minute ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Why is this subforum always a binfire?

Because you always get some absolute fucking idiot gurning about population sizes whenever Scotland make a cunt of it in a qualifier.

And then stubborn cunts like me telling them they’re talking shite.

20 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Supras population spiel is a worthwhile addition to this forum now that Scotland are back in the doldrums.

I was almost tempted to sally forth and defend Croatia’s honour after that slur above about Poland outdoing them, but thankfully I stopped myself. If I want an endless argument with a bot-like creature, there are already a couple of regulars who have filled the void that Supras left.

Being too young to remember when they were properly good, I still find it a bit wild that Poland finished third at two World Cups out of three in the modern age. They were still considered England's bogey team when I was a kid. Lato and Boniek must have been something else.

Croatia having back-to-back second and third place finishes is also tremendous. The Dutch have to be the kings of this shit though; three World Cup finals, plus a third and fourth place finish on top, not to mention a European Championship win. Uruguay ruined their diddy credibility by actually winning two World Cups IMO; that's just not cricket.

11 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

You've got 2 imaginary nations, nation A and nation B. Who both have the exact same coaching level, infrastructure and facilities.

What would happen is nation A would consistently produce top players at a higher rate than nation B. Simply because they have more footballers.

Nobody is saying that coaching, infrastructure or facilities aren't important. Only that they are joined by population as being another factor.

Maybe P&B could add this as an IQ test before being allowed to post? It might reduce the binfire incidence.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

stubborn c***s like me telling them they’re talking shite.

The only thing you’ve said on this topic that isn’t bollocks. 

For absolute clarity, are you still maintaining (in light of what everyone else has said) that population is “irrelevant”?

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

I don’t know how anyone can deny that the fact we’re a nation of fat,  lazy, pie munching, telly watching/gaming, alcoholic,  and now non competitive bast***s topped off with shite facilities has no effect on our standing in World Football.

On the other hand bigger countries with the same issues should statistically do better than us 🤷‍♂️

Just now, MarkoP said:

I don’t know how anyone can deny that the fact we’re a nation of fat,  lazy, pie munching, telly watching/gaming, alcoholic,  and now non competitive bast***s topped off with shite facilities has no effect on our standing in World Football.

On the other hand bigger countries with the same issues should statistically do better than us 🤷‍♂️

Not sure anyone is denying that are they? 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

We should be comparing Scotland to countries like Denmark, Croatia and maybe Uruguay. That is the level of success that we should at least strive for. 

Just now, immcinto said:

We should be comparing Scotland to countries like Denmark, Croatia and maybe Uruguay. That is the level of success that we should at least strive for. 

Striving for yes definitely, but there are many, many more similar sized football daft nations that have a similarly abject record to us.

I think the point being made is that smaller nations being successful is the exception rather than the rule. Even then, if you define success as actually winning things then not many smaller nations have achieved that ever. 
Also the likes of Belgium, Portugal and Netherlands are being held out as smaller nations like us. Belgium and Portugal are twice the size of Scotland and Netherlands almost 4 times the size. 

36 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Why is this subforum always a binfire?

My team: Scotland is always a giveaway. It's still (marginally) less binfirey than the Celtgers and West Superleague forums though. Just!

46 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

I see that China lost 7-0 the other day....

How about, good culture, facilities and coaching can overcome population disadvantages to a certain degree and bad culture, facilities and training can hinder larger populations from reaching the levels that others do ?

On 06/09/2024 at 14:42, EvilScotsman said:

Has anyone checked the eligibility of Johnny X of Fulchester United?

Wasn't Johnny X also the drummer in Kenickie? Deeply ironic if he copied that monicker given that Kenickie were from Sunderland, and, Viz was clearly a Newcastle outfit.....