🔵🟡Scotland v Poland 🔴⚪

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The full Nations League rankings weren't used the last time either, unless something has changed since the last World Cup, FIFA insist on using their rankings as the predominant system for seeding the draw. The fact UEFA have even been given the flexibility to include any Nations League elements for the seeding of the groups is the somewhat surprising part to me.

Every other confederation (except South America where it's obviously just one big group) used FIFA ranking. This includes CONCACAF, who have their own Nations League.

FIFA updated their regulations, which combined with a change in the Nations League format pointed to the full (interim) NL ranking being used. 

The schedule set it up perfectly, with the only minor glitch being the need for placeholders to represent the NL quarter-finalists (which is still happening). 

54 teams (assuming no Russia) into 6 groups of 4 and 6 groups of 5. 

The pot 1 teams in groups of 4 are represented by placeholders for the “winning NL quarter-finalists”. Groups of 4 don’t take part in the first 4 qualifying match days (March and June windows), allowing the pot 1 teams to play the NL QFs and SFs. 

Teams involved in the NL play-offs are guaranteed to be in different pots (except C/D, which I’ll come back to).

The 16 teams in the A/B and B/C play-offs can be drawn into the groups of 4 (8 teams) and the 4 groups of 5 that don’t have a “NL QF loser” as the pot 1 team (the other 8 teams). 

That means play-off teams in groups of 5 sit out match days 1 and 2 (March window) to play their play-offs. “NL QF losers” also sit out the March window to play their QF. But as losers, they can play the June window. 

This works, because one team in each group of 5 sits out a total of 2 match days. For the play-off teams and losing QF teams, this just means they sit out their 2 match days in the same window (March) while they deal with NL business.

C/D play-offs are on a different schedule that doesn’t clash with WC qualifying, so there’s no issues there. 

You’ll struggle to convince me that this wasn’t their original plan, when it fits so perfectly. 

But then a top tier nation went and got themselves relegated, so they’ve spent this long coming up with the fudge we now have. 

Edited by The Master

Poland at home is our best fixture in the NL and the one we should me aiming to win. Our defence is looking weak but we need to be consistent with that area. I'd go back 4 and start sticking with a 4 and the same personnel. Unfortunately the right back spot has players who are here because of injuries. Souttar is in because he gets a game for his club unlike Hanley and Porteous at this time. I hope Morgan and Gauld could get at least 30 minutes.

With Portugal away in mind I would be keeping Dykes and Ralston for that game.

This would be my 11.

image.thumb.png.6f30f9a3e6c5ea80eb50a5a02cb2d739.png

Just now, Claudia Gentile said:

I think I heard you need to win the group but it's all got a bit complicated for me 😆

The World Cup qualifiers make sense. Win your group, straight through. Finish runner up, you are in the play offs. 

Then 4 teams from the nations league (highest finished) make up the numbers to the play offs, as long as they are not already qualified. 

So many scenarios at that point, but in theory….do as well as possible in this nations league group! 

2 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

The World Cup qualifiers make sense. Win your group, straight through. Finish runner up, you are in the play offs. 

Then 4 teams from the nations league (highest finished) make up the numbers to the play offs, as long as they are not already qualified. 

So many scenarios at that point, but in theory….do as well as possible in this nations league group! 

That sums it up in a nutshell. Don't let FIFA get wind of it though, or they'll FAFO it even further.

Edited by Claudia Gentile

3 hours ago, ahemps said:

Poland at home is our best fixture in the NL and the one we should me aiming to win. Our defence is looking weak but we need to be consistent with that area. I'd go back 4 and start sticking with a 4 and the same personnel. Unfortunately the right back spot has players who are here because of injuries. Souttar is in because he gets a game for his club unlike Hanley and Porteous at this time. I hope Morgan and Gauld could get at least 30 minutes.

This would be my 11.

In terms of glamour it’s our least attractive fixture but it is the one we should be aiming to win, as on paper it’s our best chance. 

I’ve tickets for the Portugal home game cause, for me, that’s the most attractive fixture as Portugal have some great players. We will likely lose, but you never know. I’ll get a chance to see how we fare in Portugal on Sunday.

Hopefully we can get a win. We could do with one for the players confidence and to get the fans back onside.

I will likely have two tickets going for this as me and mate probably won't make it.

Through the hampden tickets app, can I just transfer them to any email address through there?

7 minutes ago, AUcal said:

I will likely have two tickets going for this as me and mate probably won't make it.

Through the hampden tickets app, can I just transfer them to any email address through there?

Worked for me previously although they need the app (fairly obvious I know)

Edited by Billy Jean King

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Worked for me previously although they need the app (fairly obvious I know)

Great, thanks mate.

If anyone is looking for 1 or 2 tickets then give me a shout - West Stand, A7, GG. They were £35 each.

As above, you will need the Hampden Park tickets app so that I can transfer.

2 hours ago, Connor7 said:

How do we guarantee ourselves a WC play off from the nations league group? 

Win the group, basically. Four highest ranked group winners, that haven’t already qualified, get the four play off spots. 

8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Win the group, basically. Four highest ranked group winners, that haven’t already qualified, get the four play off spots. 

It's a big game 

As all our nations league efforts have been 

Even more disappointed therefore at the pull outs

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

This would be my 11.

Ben Doak has played absolutely no football 

I’m not sure if I’m being overly cynical but do we think all the call offs for this squad are genuine injuries? 
Listening to SC’s press conference earlier he admitted he was surprised to have so many injuries/call offs for this squad and maybe has had to turn to the u21s too much.

Could the likes of Adams, Taylor and the others see these games as not as important as staying and working at their club? I hope it’s not a return to the days of players not being arsed to play for Scotland again..but it does seem a lot of malaise has begun to set in around the team for these games.

Edited by Angry Jim McLean