Portugal v Scotland

JS_FFC

On paper we had the easiest game of the group tonight and we have the hardest game of the group on Sunday.

Hopefully we can put in a performance. We weren’t completely awful against Poland, but Portugal are a step up.

You look at the squad for these games and it’s not as if there are tremendous players kicking their heels waiting their chance, but hopefully some of them can raise their game.

I'm all for giving some different players a run out, especially after watching us from 70 mins onward tonight, but conversely, I'm not sure this is really the match to be doing it because if the worst comes to the worst and it ends up in a hiding, you're then in the scenario whereby the "if we'd only played the proven guys from the start..." argument fires up, and I think you could well kill a couple of players' international careers before they really get going. 

If Clarke was happy to play "same old same old" tonight in probably the most winnable group game on paper, then I can't see him deviating drastically for a trip to Portugal. If we get pumped then we should definitely be making big changes for the rest of the group, but then if we get pumped I think there's also a good case for suggesting one of those changes should be punting Clarke himself and giving a new coach at least a few meaningful games ahead of WC Quali.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm all for giving some different players a run out, especially after watching us from 70 mins onward tonight, but conversely, I'm not sure this is really the match to be doing it because if the worst comes to the worst and it ends up in a hiding, you're then in the scenario whereby the "if we'd only played the proven guys from the start..." argument fires up, and I think you could well kill a couple of players' international careers before they really get going. 

If Clarke was happy to play "same old same old" tonight in probably the most winnable group game on paper, then I can't see him deviating drastically for a trip to Portugal. If we get pumped then we should definitely be making big changes for the rest of the group, but then if we get pumped I think there's also a good case for suggesting one of those changes should be punting Clarke himself and giving a new coach at least a few meaningful games ahead of WC Quali.

We were clearly better before the last round of substitutions than after. We became less fluid and got worse at holding the ball up front.

Blaming Clarke for the individual shortcomings of Dykes, Hanley and Ralston is batshit mental.

41 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Back to a proper 4-4-2 for me, none of your woke nonsense please. And get some players in that actually want to play for the Jersey.

3-0 Scotland 

Screenshot_20240905-234958_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.e36528b6487af08ba8ae29366d495c91.jpg

Sticking Oliver out on the right wing in his natural position is a good move but has he not declared he'll only represent Team GB

34 minutes ago, GordonS said:

We were clearly better before the last round of substitutions than after. We became less fluid and got worse at holding the ball up front.

Blaming Clarke for the individual shortcomings of Dykes, Hanley and Ralston is batshit mental.

The game went to pieces after 70 mins because of substitution stoppages and the refs shitey eBay earbuds.

The three subs didn't break us - arguably they bought us our second goal. Bringing Gilmour off after that  however, did destabilise our control in the middle of the park.

59 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Back to a proper 4-4-2 for me, none of your woke nonsense please. And get some players in that actually want to play for the Jersey.

3-0 Scotland 

Screenshot_20240905-234958_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.e36528b6487af08ba8ae29366d495c91.jpg

Rebus being dropped in midfield is totally unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I enjoyed the game yesterday, looking forward to this one.

“I just like goals and watching Ronaldo.”

At least we managed a couple of goals from our new Serie A players. Having Scotland players at Napoli is cool 😎 as f**k. Could only be cooler if it was Juventus. I’ve never really went for Milan.

I see Ronaldo got his 900th goal against Croatia. If he is playing, how will he do against our stellar defence?

Also, how come the Portuguese lads get two home games to start the group?

Edited by Scary Bear

I think this will be a long, long night which will turn into a long, long month as we wait for the next game to roll around. I'm just looking forward to seeing Bernardo Silva irl

34 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

“I just like goals and watching Ronaldo.”

At least we managed a couple of goals from our new Serie A players. Having Scotland players at Napoli is cool 😎 as f**k. Could only be cooler if it was Juventus. I’ve nearly really went for Milan.

I see Ronaldo got his 900th goal against Croatia. If he is playing, how will he do against our stellar defence?

Also, how come the Portuguese lads get two home games to start the group?

It would be good to stop him scoring. A few of our players haven't played many games so they might be a bit sharper this time.

For me, I want the Scottish players to end up at Milan. Ferguson as well.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

On the flip side, if he plays the proven guys and we get a hiding then the same will be asked.

Also 'proven' in what way now? 2yrs ago this team were flying but like everything it needs tweaks and changes to keep it fresh, Clarke is persisting with the same players who are now 'proven' not to be playing well. His loyalty is becoming a weakness when it really used to be a strength.

We will go back to the flat back 5 without Tierney. And the same culprits making mistakes will all start. As no lessons will have been learned.

Portugal will run up a cricket score and people will defend clarke by saying he's the only manager we can get.

3 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

We will go back to the flat back 5 without Tierney. And the same culprits making mistakes will all start. As no lessons will have been learned.

Portugal will run up a cricket score and people will defend clarke by saying he's the only manager we can get.

A good night for you then, as you and the numbers man cross swords ⚔️ again.