⚫⚪ Queen's Park vs Greenock Morton 🔵⚪

58 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

There is no reason except money inmo. The last time that Morton played us at Hampden they brought 800 fans. I think the committee have decided that opening up Hampden and all the added expense for the same amount of fans is not worthwhile, but because Ayr will bring about 1500 fans we are going back to Hampden. Just my thoughts on the matter.

If that was last year must have been the boys and girls having a day out in the big city.

Could be wrong but Ayr's crowds were poor last year. On a positive note stadium development and good start have shown a healthy increase.

There should be some ruling like in the Champions league that you can't move stadium mid competition to benefit from increased crowds.

41 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

There should be some ruling like in the Champions league that you can't move stadium mid competition to benefit from increased crowds.

Pretty sure your at it ....... but in case not, am confident the original poster's tongue was firmly in their cheek 😀

Let me preface this by saying that I’m a season ticket holder, and an MCT member, who lives within walking distance of Hampden. I got a ticket in the ballot and had to make some awkward changes to some work stuff to collect it. 

I would have had no issue if I’d lost out on a ticket to someone who was neither a season ticket holder, nor an MCT member. In my previous job of 12 years I worked every other weekend, so didn’t get a season ticket until last season. I wasn’t any less of a Morton fan then than I am now. Likewise, I know fans who attend every game, but choose not to be MCT members.

This is a problem of QP’s making, not Morton’s, and a fair and open ballot was fine by me. The tone of complaint from some suggests a real sense of entitlement. 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

This is a problem of QP’s making, not Morton’s, and a fair and open ballot was fine by me. The tone of complaint from some suggests a real sense of entitlement. 

Totally agree that Morton bear no responsibility for causing the problem, but that doesn’t mean they’ve dealt with it right. They haven’t.

Season-ticket holders and MCT members are the core funders of the club and it’s perfectly reasonable for them to get priority whenever tickets are scarce.

My criticism of the club is more that they haven’t raised a peep about what is a totally unacceptable situation in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

Let me preface this by saying that I’m a season ticket holder, and an MCT member, who lives within walking distance of Hampden. I got a ticket in the ballot and had to make some awkward changes to some work stuff to collect it. 

I would have had no issue if I’d lost out on a ticket to someone who was neither a season ticket holder, nor an MCT member. In my previous job of 12 years I worked every other weekend, so didn’t get a season ticket until last season. I wasn’t any less of a Morton fan then than I am now. Likewise, I know fans who attend every game, but choose not to be MCT members.

Completely disagree.

Complaining about 80 tickets going to two buses and individual travellers not getting that luxury is hardly a sense of entitlement- unless we feel entitled to be treated fairly and equally, which is hardly an absurd request.

Though investing monthly in MCT contributions and annually in a season ticket should provide a better opportunity to access limited tickets- fans doing this are helping keep the lights on, after all. Not only is it a reward for loyalty, it ensures that tickets go into the hands of those who regularly make the effort to go to games.

Tickets for the Euros weren’t a free for all, and nor should they have been. The folk who had made the effort to go to Scotland games over a sustained period of time were rewarded for their loyalty and quite rightly so. Morton’s policy should be no different.

Instead we’ve got wee guys on Twitter who openly admit they don’t go bragging about getting tickets and Celtic fans offering them for £50 a piece to get a reaction.

From the position of someone who was fortunate enough to get one through a mate, I’ve got every sympathy for the regulars who will be missing out in order that a select group, and worse, folk who don’t even care but chanced their arm, benefit.

And the radio silence in response to complaints is also appalling from a fan-owned club. Then again, if they actually made the effort to appoint an SLO, as per SFA licensing criteria, there may be an avenue of communication with the club, given that the General Manager isn’t interested in replying to emails.

Of course, with so few tickets, some were always going to be left disappointed- but Morton couldn’t have monumentally fcked this up any more if they tried.

Out of interest why can't Queens Park just have fans standing behind each goal at pitch level like Peterhead, Edinburgh City etc do?

Would give you an extra 400 Morton fans at one end and another 400 home fans at the other.

Some Evo barriers, a couple of portaloos and a burger van and you'd be good to go. 

Not ideal I appreciate but at least then you're not turning away paying punters which seems beyond madness 

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I'm an MCT member and season ticket holder; I didn't receive any notification of this draw for tickets.

Is the game going to be streamed?

You wouldn’t have, given that the club chose to make it a free for all, allowing folk who don’t even have a buying history as much of a chance as those who don’t miss a game (unless they travel on a certain bus and/or are pals with the General Manager). The details were only shared on Morton’s social media channels.

And no, it won’t be in the UK at least, because of the 3pm blackout.

4 hours ago, Toby said:

Completely disagree.

Complaining about 80 tickets going to two buses and individual travellers not getting that luxury is hardly a sense of entitlement- unless we feel entitled to be treated fairly and equally, which is hardly an absurd request.

Though investing monthly in MCT contributions and annually in a season ticket should provide a better opportunity to access limited tickets- fans doing this are helping keep the lights on, after all. Not only is it a reward for loyalty, it ensures that tickets go into the hands of those who regularly make the effort to go to games.

Tickets for the Euros weren’t a free for all, and nor should they have been. The folk who had made the effort to go to Scotland games over a sustained period of time were rewarded for their loyalty and quite rightly so. Morton’s policy should be no different.

Instead we’ve got wee guys on Twitter who openly admit they don’t go bragging about getting tickets and Celtic fans offering them for £50 a piece to get a reaction.

From the position of someone who was fortunate enough to get one through a mate, I’ve got every sympathy for the regulars who will be missing out in order that a select group, and worse, folk who don’t even care but chanced their arm, benefit.

And the radio silence in response to complaints is also appalling from a fan-owned club. Then again, if they actually made the effort to appoint an SLO, as per SFA licensing criteria, there may be an avenue of communication with the club, given that the General Manager isn’t interested in replying to emails.

Of course, with so few tickets, some were always going to be left disappointed- but Morton couldn’t have monumentally fcked this up any more if they tried.

The Euros is a terrible comparison - that was potentially a once in a lifetime event. This is a run of the mill league game between two teams in shite form, on a glorified training pitch. There aren’t swathes of glory hunters queueing up to sneak in ahead of us for a chance to view this match. 

I’ve never ran a supporters bus but I’d assume they need to be a certain % full to be financially viable. If you include bus passengers in the open ballot, you risk buses being cancelled as not enough passengers win tickets, which creates all sorts of problems. It’s easier to just give the supporters buses the full compliment and allow them to deal with them as they see fit. 

As for your presumption that non season ticket holders and non MCT members hold less loyalty than us, see my earlier post. It’s a lazy generalisation and ignores personal circumstances/preferences/finances of many of our fans. 

The club were dealt a shite hand and kept it simple when they could easily have f**ked it up by attempting to implement a multi tiered system. Your pre existing grievances may be legitimate but they don’t change what’s happened here.

20 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That’s where we part company: it really isn’t ‘fine’ to sell Hampden and then scurry back in there. Farcical in this league; and would be outright cheating if you ever do go up.

If they’re charged a rent (appropriate to the size of the stadium, rather than their attendances) then I don’t see how it can possibly be described as cheating.

7 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

The Euros is a terrible comparison - that was potentially a once in a lifetime event. This is a run of the mill league game between two teams in shite form, on a glorified training pitch. There aren’t swathes of glory hunters queueing up to sneak in ahead of us for a chance to view this match. 

I’ve never ran a supporters bus but I’d assume they need to be a certain % full to be financially viable. If you include bus passengers in the open ballot, you risk buses being cancelled as not enough passengers win tickets, which creates all sorts of problems. It’s easier to just give the supporters buses the full compliment and allow them to deal with them as they see fit. 

As for your presumption that non season ticket holders and non MCT members hold less loyalty than us, see my earlier post. It’s a lazy generalisation and ignores personal circumstances/preferences/finances of many of our fans. 

The club were dealt a shite hand and kept it simple when they could easily have f**ked it up by attempting to implement a multi tiered system. Your pre existing grievances may be legitimate but they don’t change what’s happened here.

Except they did f**k it up by implementing a multi-tier system, giving preference to their pals, and leaving the rest of us to fight with Celtic fans who were just chancing their arm for a laugh and were able to get tickets ahead of Morton fans who travel to every away game. Pat on the back to Dale for that one, looking forward to seeing that achievement logged on his LinkedIn.

As for the buses- it’s almost as if there could be a solution such as oh, I don’t know…. hiring a smaller bus? Merging buses with the other club? Cancelling the bus for a week and asking folk to use public transport to go 30 miles down the road to Hampden? Peterhead away this ain’t.

Your point about personal circumstances isn’t really relevant either. If someone is so skint that they can’t afford to go to other games, why would this specific game, between two teams in shite form, played on a glorified training pitch to use your words, jump out as the one they’d make the effort for and all of a sudden expect to get a ticket for? If it’s their only Saturday off, does that entitle them to a ticket ahead of someone who goes every week?

And personal preferences? What about the preferences of those who choose to go every week, but will miss out to those who prefer not to bother on a rainy day or a further away trip, but can manage to get down the road to Hampden and maybe Firhill a few times a year?

What about the circumstances of parents with children who choose to drive their kids to every game because a bus is too much for the kids- a scenario someone on the Twitter thread alluded to this week.

As for non-season ticket holders or MCT members being just as loyal as those of us who are one or both? It’s almost as if these two schemes are trackable loyalty schemes that give the club a database of their support. This isn’t the 1980s anymore, a club as shamblically run as Morton even have a customer database.

Without wishing to go all Uber-Tory, if you can’t afford something, now and again you’ll have to make sacrifices. I’m sure most of us have things we’d like to buy or like to do, but finances dictate otherwise. If some folk are able and prepared to put their hands in their pockets to keep the lights on, it’s only reasonable in circumstances like this that they get first dibs, and I can’t imagine another football club of a remotely similar stature that wouldn’t operate in this way. Even Queen’s Park, roundly condemned for what’s happened with Lesser Hampden, have managed to implement a scheme that people with buying history of three past tickets can get a home ticket for Saturday.

Loyalty works two ways- football clubs, not just Morton, are happy to accept the money and support of their die hards, and to see them travelling up and down the country. The very least they should do is have the courtesy to reciprocate that support and distribute limited tickets fairly amongst their most loyal supporters.

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

Except they did f**k it up by implementing a multi-tier system, giving preference to their pals, and leaving the rest of us to fight with Celtic fans who were just chancing their arm for a laugh and were able to get tickets ahead of Morton fans who travel to every away game. Pat on the back to Dale for that one, looking forward to seeing that achievement logged on his LinkedIn.

As for the buses- it’s almost as if there could be a solution such as oh, I don’t know…. hiring a smaller bus? Merging buses with the other club? Cancelling the bus for a week and asking folk to use public transport to go 30 miles down the road to Hampden? Peterhead away this ain’t.

Your point about personal circumstances isn’t really relevant either. If someone is so skint that they can’t afford to go to other games, why would this specific game, between two teams in shite form, played on a glorified training pitch to use your words, jump out as the one they’d make the effort for and all of a sudden expect to get a ticket for? If it’s their only Saturday off, does that entitle them to a ticket ahead of someone who goes every week?

And personal preferences? What about the preferences of those who choose to go every week, but will miss out to those who prefer not to bother on a rainy day or a further away trip, but can manage to get down the road to Hampden and maybe Firhill a few times a year?

What about the circumstances of parents with children who choose to drive their kids to every game because a bus is too much for the kids- a scenario someone on the Twitter thread alluded to this week.

As for non-season ticket holders or MCT members being just as loyal as those of us who are one or both? It’s almost as if these two schemes are trackable loyalty schemes that give the club a database of their support. This isn’t the 1980s anymore, a club as shamblically run as Morton even have a customer database.

Without wishing to go all Uber-Tory, if you can’t afford something, now and again you’ll have to make sacrifices. I’m sure most of us have things we’d like to buy or like to do, but finances dictate otherwise. If some folk are able and prepared to put their hands in their pockets to keep the lights on, it’s only reasonable in circumstances like this that they get first dibs, and I can’t imagine another football club of a remotely similar stature that wouldn’t operate in this way. Even Queen’s Park, roundly condemned for what’s happened with Lesser Hampden, have managed to implement a scheme that people with buying history of three past tickets can get a home ticket for Saturday.

Loyalty works two ways- football clubs, not just Morton, are happy to accept the money and support of their die hards, and to see them travelling up and down the country. The very least they should do is have the courtesy to reciprocate that support and distribute limited tickets fairly amongst their most loyal supporters.

It seems like you want the most loyal and dedicated Morton fans to receive preferential treatment, but at the same time complaining that the supporters buses (theoretically containing some of the most dedicated Morton fans) have received preferential treatment.

There are many answers to your questions, and more to ponder. Should I get preference over someone who’s had a season ticket for 20 years but didn’t get one this year? Should my mate in America who’s an MCT member visit home and be first in line for a ticket?

All your post does is confirm to me that there are too many fans with various circumstances and opinions to have enough tiers of preference to keep everyone happy. 

The only reason people are missing out is that the stadium isn’t big enough. You clearly feel entitled to a ticket, so I’m glad you got one. Shame about all those Celtic fans that’ll be sandwiched in between us. Enjoy the game. 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

It seems like you want the most loyal and dedicated Morton fans to receive preferential treatment, but at the same time complaining that the supporters buses (theoretically containing some of the most dedicated Morton fans) have received preferential treatment.

There are many answers to your questions, and more to ponder. Should I get preference over someone who’s had a season ticket for 20 years but didn’t get one this year? Should my mate in America who’s an MCT member visit home and be first in line for a ticket?

All your post does is confirm to me that there are too many fans with various circumstances and opinions to have enough tiers of preference to keep everyone happy. 

The only reason people are missing out is that the stadium isn’t big enough. You clearly feel entitled to a ticket, so I’m glad you got one. Shame about all those Celtic fans that’ll be sandwiched in between us. Enjoy the game. 

I made it perfectly clear on both this thread and the Twitter thread I was arguing with you on that season ticket holders being treated fairly and equally was what I was looking for- that would in theory give me a c. 25% chance of a ticket if all season ticket holders were to take up their chance. Not to see one guy get a 100% chance of a ticket and me get a c. 15% chance.

If that’s me behaving with a sense of entitlement, so be it, guilty as charged.

Should you get a ticket as a season ticket holder over a lapsed season ticket holder? Yes, clearly. That’s pretty much common practice across the industry, I don’t see why it would be any different with Morton.

Should your mate from America who’s an MCT member jump to the front of the queue? No. Should he or she get a chance ahead of a non-member? Yes, fairly reasonable.

All your posts are doing is trying to over complicate what should be a straight forward system of treating season ticket holders equally and then, if all are catered for dropping down to MCT members, but then again, the bus that you travel on is benefitting, so that’s just smashing.

Yes, people are missing out because the stadium is too small- but some are also missing out because the system has allowed others the opportunity to take places the queue ahead of them, regardless of buying history.

The guy who I got a ticket through was neither a season ticket holder nor an MCT member, which is ironic, although I did shift the ticket onto a season ticket holder and am now without a ticket myself.

I’m also delighted you managed to get a ticket in the ballot, especially after not getting one from the bus you travel with. You have a lovely afternoon, Rab.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

If they’re charged a rent (appropriate to the size of the stadium, rather than their attendances) then I don’t see how it can possibly be described as cheating.

'If' doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence...

Look at it this way: could Morton afford to rent Hampden for home games? Airdrie? Hamilton?

4 minutes ago, Toby said:

I made it perfectly clear on both this thread and the Twitter thread I was arguing with you on that season ticket holders being treated fairly and equally was what I was looking for- that would in theory give me a c. 25% chance of a ticket if all season ticket holders were to take up their chance. Not to see one guy get a 100% chance of a ticket and me get a c. 15% chance.

If that’s me behaving with a sense of entitlement, so be it, guilty as charged.

Should you get a ticket as a season ticket holder over a lapsed season ticket holder? Yes, clearly. That’s pretty much common practice across the industry, I don’t see why it would be any different with Morton.

Should your mate from America who’s an MCT member jump to the front of the queue? No. Should he or she get a chance ahead of a non-member? Yes, fairly reasonable.

All your posts are doing is trying to over complicate what should be a straight forward system of treating season ticket holders equally and then, if all are catered for dropping down to MCT members, but then again, the bus that you travel on is benefitting, so that’s just smashing.

Yes, people are missing out because the stadium is too small- but some are also missing out because the system has allowed others the opportunity to take places the queue ahead of them, regardless of buying history.

The guy who I got a ticket through was neither a season ticket holder nor an MCT member, which is ironic, although I did shift the ticket onto a season ticket holder and am now without a ticket myself.

I’m also delighted you managed to get a ticket in the ballot, especially after not getting one from the bus you travel with. You have a lovely afternoon, Rab.

I was going to leave it at that as we’ve both said our piece and neither of us is any closer to convincing the other that it’s more or less complicated or straightforward than it seems. 

I just wanted to point out that I’m clearly not the person you think I am. I’ve never posted on twitter or travelled on a supporters bus. And if I had been given the name Robert, I think I’d choose Robbie rather than Rab. Who knows. 

40 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

It seems like you want the most loyal and dedicated Morton fans to receive preferential treatment

It's not really about 'loyalty and dedication' though, is it? We are a supporter-owned club. MCT members literally own and fund the club, so the argument they shouldn't get first dibs on tickets is way beyond me...

I'm totally unconcerned about not getting a ticket btw: I'm on that hill, contributing zero pounds to the ongoing shambles that is once-proud Queen's Park, inventors of modern football, now reduced to being Charlie Haughey's vanity project... (if I like it, might try it at Firhill next time we're there n'aw).