Dundee United v them

There is no point playing coy and saying it's just a song about homesickness. The song has been adopted by the nationalist half of Scotland for at least 15 years now and everyone knows it. Rangers' Brit fans pinching it and changing the words is infuriating but uncharacteristically top tier trolling by them.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

There is no point playing coy and saying it's just a song about homesickness. The song has been adopted by the nationalist half of Scotland for at least 15 years now and everyone knows it. Rangers' Brit fans pinching it and changing the words is infuriating but uncharacteristically top tier trolling by them.

The song is absolutely about homesickness. Why would it only be appropriate for pro-independence supporters to identify with it?

The “Rangers version” is a song that was recorded by a Rangers fan back in 2017 (who’s to say they weren’t pro-Indy?). It’s only been recently that it has made its way to the terraces. I think you’re giving out support a little too much credit if you think it’s simply a troll attempt.

As I’ve already shown, there are plenty examples of Rangers fans celebrating a Scottish (and a British) identity.

Edited by AJF

It was written about homesickness, but has been adopted by the independence-minded for a significant period of time. That's just a fact.

Didn't know about the 2017 version, and I would applaud the adoption of a genuinely intentioned bigotry-free song by you guys, but... it's Rangers. You won't convince me it's not being used to get it right up the Natz.

Your last sentence sums it up. Never just Scottish - always subsumed into something else and minimised.

Always thought the

"You can shove your independence up your arse"

is one of the most tragic things I've ever heard. Even if you're not a supporter of independence, the tone, self-image, and downright fragility it exposes make it something that just demonstrates these are people who are to be genuinely pitied.

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It was written about homesickness, but has been adopted by the independence-minded for a significant period of time. That's just a fact.

Didn't know about the 2017 version, and I would applaud the adoption of a genuinely intentioned bigotry-free song by you guys, but... it's Rangers. You won't convince me it's not being used to get it right up the Natz.

Your last sentence sums it up. Never just Scottish - always subsumed into something else and minimised.

In isolation you’d maybe convince me, but I’ve already given other examples of Rangers fans celebrating a Scottish identity. Were they simply troll efforts to get it up the Natz as well?

ETA: final word on it, I genuinely find it baffling that this song out of a selection of many others seems to be causing so much distress/anger/annoyance or whatever other emotions people are currently feeling about it. It’s simply a song about Rangers using the tune of a famous Scottish song.

Edited by AJF

Rangers fans make up the largest % of Scotland fans.

Yet, data revealed by the digital manager of the SFA shows that Rangers have the biggest percentage of fans among Scotland Supporter Club members

Michael Bochel tweeted: "Probably a good opportunity to dispel some myths about the Scotland support. Based on the last time I looked  the teams supported by Supporter Club members in order of % were:

Rangers

Aberdeen

Celtic

Hearts

Hibs

Kilmarnock

Dundee United

St Mirren"

Been seeing a few clips with the comparison between Dessers and Igamane on Sunday.

Although it’s a small sample size and maybe just one of those days for Dessers (although he does seem to have them quite a lot), Igamane looked a lot more positive and proficient in being able to take a good first touch to create space and then bring others into play.

If he is fit enough I’d like to see him start against Dundee and see how he goes.

I don't get the derision being poured on the Ibrox support for singing their version of 'Caledonia'. There are plenty other reasons to ridicule them, but when they've chosen to sing that little ditty instead of the party tunes with add ons, which some also did on Sunday, it's not, for me, a reason for mockery.

Maybe folk should take umbrage at United fans singing 'Zombie' towards Sunday's away support, since Dolores O'Roirdan wrote it about victims of an IRA bombing, or 'Lizzie's in a Box' to melody of 'Three Lions' by Broudie, Badiel and Skinner, an England anthem. That's ironic too.

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I don't get the derision being poured on the Ibrox support for singing their version of 'Caledonia'. There are plenty other reasons to ridicule them, but when they've chosen to sing that little ditty instead of the party tunes with add ons, which some also did on Sunday, it's not, for me, a reason for mockery.

Maybe folk should take umbrage at United fans singing 'Zombie' towards Sunday's away support, since Dolores O'Roirdan wrote it about victims of an IRA bombing, or 'Lizzie's in a Box' to melody of 'Three Lions' by Broudie, Badiel and Skinner, an England anthem. That's ironic too.

Deriding Sevco fans about anything at any time is not only justifiable but should be mandatory.

5 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Lizzie one is to the tune of Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band. Though it would probably still scan with Three Lions.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Much as it goes against the grain, I do agree. Rangers fans are, obviously, all cunts, but it must surely be acknowledged that the Caledonia song is significantly less cunty than the Billy Boys, God Save the King and Rule Britannia.