Week 2

lichtie23

i will caveat this comment with i don't watch too much college football.

Lawrence is a strange one, he had this great record of never losing, until he lost the college championship game.  That must mean something right? all the talking draft heads said he was generational coming into the NFL and then he got Urban Myer.

Talent like Manning and Luck, who were also saw as generational, backed it up by winning games with various levels of talent around them. Lawrence needs the right players around him.  

Keeping my first statement in mind... is there a consensus number 1 qb for next year?

12 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

So...

who gets benched first.  Bryce Young or Bo Nix?

8 hours ago, steelmen said:

or Caleb Williams....

I haven't seen anything of Nix beyond brief highlights, so I can't really comment beyond saying I saw quite a few forced throws, and stuff that is typical rookie poor judgement.

Williams I think is fine for now. I think with rookies it's a case of right/wrong balance, and so far I think Williams is doing more right than he is wrong. There are miscoms, which is normal, the usual rookie forcing things because they don't understand their NFL limitations, and the usual poor decisions because the game hasn't yet slowed down, but Williams is also doing a lot of good/right things even though they aren't always coming off. His accuracy is off, but that should improve rapidly with coaching and more game time, and even on the play where he got drilled in the pocket late in the game last night by a rusher he simply didn't sense, he was actually doing the right thing by looking down the field at his receivers. A lot of rookies have their heads on a swivel and are more concerned about where they are getting chased from and don't actually go through their reads, so Williams is beyond that already and just needs to develop the pocket sense that most good vets have eventually.

Young is completely broken, and simply put, shouldn't be going out on an NFL field. There isn't a single thing he's doing properly, but the worst of it is his basic throwing mechanics are totally off, which begs the question how this hasn't been corrected through a rookie camp, a minicamp, two full training camps, and 19 NFL starts. It's not that he has a hitch, or isn't planting and driving, it's that when he's on his toes in the pocket like he is supposed to be, more often than not he doesn't plant his feet at all and delivers the ball with his feet off the ground. Everything is a jump pass unless the receiver is stood more or less in front of him with nobody in between. He also has no sense of when to just eat the ball, when to get rid of it, and when to just put his head down and take a 1 yard gain. Going by the number of times he doesn't see wide-open receivers, I think that the jump-pass thing isn't the only problem related to his lack of height, I also think he just doesn't see the middle of the field. I think it would be unfair to just write him off as a colossal bust right now and forget all about him, but I do think he needs taken off the field right now, wrapped in cotton wool, and never put back out there until some of the terrible mechanics are corrected and he can play with a little bit less pressure on him. Even if he only ever becomes a Darnold-esque career back-up/journeyman, that's not going to happen if they just leave him out there to hang himself. The optics of benching him would be terrible in a "Carolina gives up on #1 overall" sense, but I genuinely don't see how continuing to play him is going to help, on the contrary, I think it will guarantee that he just continues to implode and eventually ends up out of the league.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

Lawrence is a strange one, he had this great record of never losing, until he lost the college championship game.  That must mean something right?

This could be confirmation bias at work, but I don't think QBs never losing a game at HS & College is all that rare?

Top High Schools attract top talent, and, in turn, top colleges take their pick of top talent from top high schools.

That's not to say Lawrence achieved what he did in HS & at Clemson by not also being very good, but he won't have been dragging utter dug meat to wins every game.

It's not unusual for guys who were 1 or 2 year starters at absolute powerhouses, no, because they tend to be a conveyor belt of talent and the new guy simply slots in as a starter on an already dominant team, usually when he's had 1 or 2 years of standing learning, or transferred from a lesser college. In some programs the QB really isn't all that important anyway, hence why they can romp to national championships, win Heismans and so on, and then no Pro team will even look at them.

Lawrence was a bit of an oddity because he was a true Freshman phenom at 18 years old, playing in a fairly "pro" scheme rather than just handing it off/running option, and carried it for 3 seasons. His college passing stats are remarkably similar in "shape" to what you'd expect from a good QB playing in the NFL, and he was doing this right out of High School

en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Trevor_Lawrence.png

Edited by Boo Khaki

16 hours ago, WullieBroonIsGod said:

So...

who gets benched first.  Bryce Young or Bo Nix?

Give it another few weeks and I think you might be asking this question again  but Levis v's Richardson.

I don't think either will be benched, because their teams are committed to them one way or another for the foreseeable, but they've both been cack for various reasons, and Levis especially is doing dumb shit after dumb shit in between the odd big play. The backwards underhand toss/shovel thing on Sunday was a genuine "what the hell is going on in his head?" moment.

8 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Barkley can run himself into the ground all night if he wants if they’re going to come up with nil points at the end of the drive. I’m at the point where I think we have a chance and I don’t like it.

I thought there were a couple of questionable calls in the first couple of Eagles drives. I think Moore did enough in Dallas that he deserves a Mulligan, but I was totally underwhelmed with him as LAC OC last year.

I've fired up the MNF thread btw. Up to @lichtie23 if he wants to update the title I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I thought there were a couple of questionable calls in the first couple of Eagles drives. I think Moore did enough in Dallas that he deserves a Mulligan, but I was totally underwhelmed with him as LAC OC last year.

I've fired up the MNF thread btw. Up to @lichtie23 if he wants to update the title I suppose.

I’ll keep it in there then. Not catching every play as I’m in work but if this promising start keeps up it’ll be taking priority.