Middle East Paggers/Exploding Pagers

Bairnardo

It's being reported by Sky News Arabia that the pagers had a quantity of plastic explosives in them and that it was detonated by malware that caused the devices battery to heat up.

Seems amazing that you could do something like that so reliably.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It's being reported by Sky News Arabia that the pagers had a quantity of plastic explosives in them and that it was detonated by malware that caused the devices battery to heat up.

Seems amazing that you could do something like that so reliably.

I'm of a same mind. It's very clever how they've managed to rig up only the Hezbollah pagers with explosives. I'm thinking they have guys in key positions within Hezbollah.

It's obviously evil and awful, but I'm a little fascinated by how they've pulled this off.

I wonder if the yanks or us have had anything to do.with it too.

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It will be interesting to see how the Israelis have done this.  I've read some people say that the batteries exploded but I don't think you could rig up literally thousands of devices to explode at the same time like that by overheating the battery.  Also, I'm unclear on the mechanism you could use to cause a lithium battery to explode - obviously they can and do explode when heated but how would you do that on the scale done here?  It would seem to be very difficult.

It's more likely that the Israel penetrated the manufacture of the pagers - apparently they had recently been supplied.  So it's possible Israel placed agents into the factory, who put small charges and a remote detonator into every pager which were then triggered today.  I would imagine that it might be more sophisticated than having someone on the assembly line with a pocket full of explosives, as that would be too easily to detect.  Maybe they took control of a parts supplier and supplied them into the factory.  Pretty remarkable if that's what was done, both to actually do it and also for there not to be any malfunction or explode during transit etc.

One thing that you might say though is that if the Israelis could do something like this, couldn't they have used this information more valuably?  If they could implant something into every device or someone control every device could they not used it to track senior commanders and use drone strikes or bombs?  ALso, if you can blow up the pagers surely you can intercept information contained within them, would that not be more valuable?  

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/israel-s-mossad-planted-explosives-in-hezbollah-s-taiwan-made-pagers-months-in-advance-reports/ar-AA1qKwen?ocid=spr_trending&businessvertical=News

This seems to suggest something between the two. A plastic explosive around the battery which was triggered, then explodes, when a command message was sent to all the pagers.

12 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

At least 2 children have died.

People more concerned with the "epic James Bond explosing pen XD" aspect of this than the callous terrorism committed by Israel.

Nobody is saying it's not horrific.

Calm down Helen Lovejoy.

17 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It will be interesting to see how the Israelis have done this.  I've read some people say that the batteries exploded but I don't think you could rig up literally thousands of devices to explode at the same time like that by overheating the battery.  Also, I'm unclear on the mechanism you could use to cause a lithium battery to explode - obviously they can and do explode when heated but how would you do that on the scale done here?  It would seem to be very difficult.

It's more likely that the Israel penetrated the manufacture of the pagers - apparently they had recently been supplied.  So it's possible Israel placed agents into the factory, who put small charges and a remote detonator into every pager which were then triggered today.  I would imagine that it might be more sophisticated than having someone on the assembly line with a pocket full of explosives, as that would be too easily to detect.  Maybe they took control of a parts supplier and supplied them into the factory.  Pretty remarkable if that's what was done, both to actually do it and also for there not to be any malfunction or explode during transit etc.

One thing that you might say though is that if the Israelis could do something like this, couldn't they have used this information more valuably?  If they could implant something into every device or someone control every device could they not used it to track senior commanders and use drone strikes or bombs?  ALso, if you can blow up the pagers surely you can intercept information contained within them, would that not be more valuable?  

Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports of more devices exploding in the last couple of hours.

Edited to add, seems like it's hand-held radios that are blowing up now.

'Exploding hand held radios' thread for this pish.

At this rate the Israelis will be bombing carrier pigeons by the weekend.