Sober Fresher's Week

University students are foregoing constant drinking and partying during Freshers week in order to spend time on sober, more wholesome activities like yoga, going for picnics and games of ultimate Frisbee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wkr4qx8q0o

It seems like the days of all day drinking binges and falling asleep in a hedge are in the past.  Due to increased awareness of health, risks of violence and a greater variety of students have moved traditional party-weeks away from hedonism and into more varied activities.

When I was at University it was constant drinking and dancing to shite music in the union during Freshers week.  The big draw was a night with Pat Sharp at the student disco - I don't know what Mr Sharp did as I didn't go.

Have any P&Bers experienced the move from drinking to mindfulness?

Are the younger generation going soft and was it all better back when I was young?

Just now, ICTChris said:

University students are foregoing constant drinking and partying during Freshers week in order to spend time on sober, more wholesome activities like yoga, going for picnics and games of ultimate Frisbee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9wkr4qx8q0o

It seems like the days of all day drinking binges and falling asleep in a hedge are in the past.  Due to increased awareness of health, risks of violence and a greater variety of students have moved traditional party-weeks away from hedonism and into more varied activities.

When I was at University it was constant drinking and dancing to shite music in the union during Freshers week.  The big draw was a night with Pat Sharp at the student disco - I don't know what Mr Sharp did as I didn't go.

Have any P&Bers experienced the move from drinking to mindfulness?

Are the younger generation going soft and was it all better back when I was young?

My mate's son went to a freshers week party last week. His descriptions were colourful. 

Loads of lads who were into rugby were drinking beer and, later, drinking piss. He says he didn't drink any but contributed to the jug that was sat in the urinal.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

My mate's son went to a freshers week party last week. His descriptions were colourful. 

Loads of lads who were into rugby were drinking beer and, later, drinking piss. He says he didn't drink any but contributed to the jug that was sat in the urinal.

It baffles me that government and polis in this country concern themselves with raiding football fans buses for cans of Tennents when it's clearly the rugby lads who need hard drive checks. 

I won't hear a bad word said about Ultimate Frisbee.  That said... Even ~20 years ago it was rare to get a drinking sesh out of that group, largely due to it being a magnet for god-botherers.

More recently, I was a mature student a couple of years ago and asked post-grad students in my office if they fancied a lunchtime drink at the poor excuse of a union around the corner.  I went first, got a pint poured, asked what the rest wanted and they said "oh, we're only here for a takeaway coffee [to take back to their desks]".  My heart sank. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

I signed up for the fencing club in Freshers Week (pretty sure I was pished when I made the commitment) and it went fine for about 8 weeks until I had my first ‘fight’ and my brain’s reaction was ‘holy f**k, that c**t’s pointing a f**king sword at me’ and after that I didn’t do fencing anymore. 

Good on them. There's so many more options than just getting pished, and there has been for many, many years.

Student loans (from all four countries of the UK and Ireland) are lagging way behind the actual costs of living. The vast majority of costs, if not all (and even all and then some) are swallowed by rent. After that they have bills and food costs.

With alcohol being so pricey in bars, of course more and more students aren't bothering with boozing.

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It baffles me that government and polis in this country concern themselves with raiding football fans buses for cans of Tennents when it's clearly the rugby lads who need hard drive checks. 

Its almost as if the people who populate these two institutions are more into this upper middle class minority sport&so do all they can to promote& protect it