Morton vs Raith Rovers 5th October

Very pleasing way to mark the anniversary (especially when we have a habit of badly feckin these things up...).

Thought we played well when we got going, but a word of caution (and encouragement for Raith supporters): that was a classic case of 'first goal wins it'. If Raith score in the first quarter (when Pollock, in particular, gave us a bit of a chasing), they probably go on to win it. As it was, they ended up looking like we've looked recently once behind, i.e. beat.

There will be dozens of games like that over the season, so we need to make sure we start better and get that first goal more often than not. 

Positives for me were: the back four looking like an actual back four (Baird and Ballantyne excellent, Delaney showing real promise, Broadfoot solid); McGinn reminding us all that, despite his age, he is (or at least was) an Actual Football Player; and Stuparevic showing he has both a touch and, crucially, a brain. Don't want to get too carried away on the last point, but can't help feeling that, when he's properly match fit, we have a real player on our hands.

Word for the Raith supporters predicting doom because their squad is somehow too small or not good enough: calm doon, eh? It's hardly La Liga. The only way that squad will be in relegation difficulty is if the players and the new manager don't see eye to eye. Yesterday might suggest there's something in that: I thought your main problem was a general aimlessness, rather than the limitations of the players on the pitch. Impossible from the outside to know what's causing that, but they didn't look like a team with a clear sense of what they'd been asked to do... or any notable commitment to get it done. But the squad, objectively, is in better shape than ours.

Also want to take the opportunity to say after an actual win that the standard of refereeing is at crisis point. It wasn't so much the big decisions (more below), but the general sense that you just didn't know what the clown was going to give. We're now watching games not thinking 'wonder if the ref will be any good?', but 'wonder how the lottery of the ref's clown-shoe performance will affect the result?' Literally every week.

[On the penalty claims, I can see why he didn't give the first one (although Dabrowski got very lucky), but the third one is laughable: the guy literally plays the ball, while pretending he's trying to tuck his arm in.]

Finally, as has been said, welcome change to read through a thread that hasn't been utterly poisoned by two or three morons from the away support.

22 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Its fair to say that Lewis Gibson is not in the managers plans, overlooked to come on by both Lewis Jamieson and for some reason, Josh Mullin. 

If this continues to be the case, he could do to go out on loan. With no reserve team, he won’t be getting any game time. 

Thought we won while looking quite unimpressive for the most part. Raith the better team first half and we stung them with a couple of good finishes. Not much in the game.

13 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Wee team hiring an absolute stone cold dud of a manager is one of the few things giving me hope of Pars staying up.

Sack your stone cold dud of a manager and you may have a chance 

I am not amongst those who think that Raith were the better team in the first half. They certainly had much more of the ball in the first 20 minutes or so, but all they had to show for that was one shot from about 25 yards hitting the bar.

Morton on the other hand had by half time brought out two very good saves, the second outstanding from the Raith goalie and had two penalty claims the first of which seemed to me a stonewaller turned down.

Most of the playing out from the back was impressive albeit with a couple of scary moments, but the new style is taking shape and now that we have a decent looking centre forward things are looking up. 

With Shaw and Corr nearing full fitness and Garrity back we have a much stronger bench than at any time previously in Imrie's time with us.

As is always the case in the Championship it will be very tight at each end of the table as we near the end of the season but I am relatively optimistic.

6 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

I am not amongst those who think that Raith were the better team in the first half. They certainly had much more of the ball in the first 20 minutes or so, but all they had to show for that was one shot from about 25 yards hitting the bar.

Morton on the other hand had by half time brought out two very good saves, the second outstanding from the Raith goalie and had two penalty claims the first of which seemed to me a stonewaller turned down.

Most of the playing out from the back was impressive albeit with a couple of scary moments, but the new style is taking shape and now that we have a decent looking centre forward things are looking up. 

With Shaw and Corr nearing full fitness and Garrity back we have a much stronger bench than at any time previously in Imrie's time with us.

As is always the case in the Championship it will be very tight at each end of the table as we near the end of the season but I am relatively optimistic.

Think you're being a tad over optimistic regarding Corr.

Enjoyed being behind the goals, in all the years I’ve been to Cappielow it’s the first time I’ve watch a game from there. Superb vantage point to watch a game.

Any idea what the issue was with no running water in the away toilets 🤷‍♂️

On 07/10/2024 at 15:15, Beastie Russell said:

Enjoyed being behind the goals, in all the years I’ve been to Cappielow it’s the first time I’ve watch a game from there. Superb vantage point to watch a game.

Any idea what the issue was with no running water in the away toilets 🤷‍♂️

There is a former ICT manager who might have an insight on that.

Probably switched off and forgot to turn on again.

I hope!