Celtic v Aberdeen 19th October

47 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just checking in here to take the temperature and that's a very similar point to one that came up in a private chat - Celtic will not win the treble and 38 games in the league, it's simply not going to happen, but they're going to drop points or potentially be upset in a cup through their own complacency, ie a shite game where it's unexpected, not at Hampden and not v Aberdeen when it's a live contest and not a dead rubber.

That said, I would absolutely f**king love to be wrong...I don't know why anyone who isn't an OF fan wouldn't want Aberdeen to continue this as long as possible, other than against their own team. Mainly for the bigger picture to be sure but even for practical terms, third is clearly done and dusted, so that side beating the rest will help you.

Re points, doing those sums is when even the most wildest dreams of a non-OF title win fall apart - the rest could indulge in a massive conspiracy to gift Aberdeen 30 wins and even starting with 90 points in the bank it's entirely possible they wouldn't get enough in the eight OF games to get over the line.

I used to be against anyone else doing it, purely because I wanted us to.

That was about fifteen years ago now 😂

17 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Heh, aye, there'll always be a bit of wish it was us for any trophy but ultimately Scottish football is us v them and any time one of the wee guys gets a day in the sun I wish them well. The title in particular is so beyond reach, even a genuine challenge from a non-OF side would be massively welcome.

26 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Hearts, hibs and Aberdeen all have the same number of league titles. Am I f**k supporting either of them if they’re up there. 

7 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

if anyone does it (they won’t) it’ll be much bigger than a Leicester 

Leicester were able to benefit from none of the usual suspects having a particularly good season. Pep and Klopp were in the early days of building their superteams, Arsenal were having a typical season of the late Wenger era, Man United similar post Fergie, Spurs were Spurs.

Celtic will probably hit 90 points this season. The other lot aren’t at their best but could easily reach 80 plus. We’d be doing well to get 70 imo.

This was at Pittodrie I’d be going in with a bit of confidence but down there just can’t see it. 
Celtic are a different level especially at home 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hearts, hibs and Aberdeen all have the same number of league titles. Am I f**k supporting either of them if they’re up there. 

Haha. I was hoping Hearts won a final recently that would have kept us from European qualification.

There was a final that Hearts took the lead against Celtic, where our European place was thus in jeopardy.

I recall two goals from Odsonne Edouard kept up McInnes’ unblemished qualification record.

Sadly it is seldom that anyone else winning against either cheek does us many favours (other than those couple of seasons we finished above Sevco).

14 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just checking in here to take the temperature and that's a very similar point to one that came up in a private chat - Celtic will not win the treble and 38 games in the league, it's simply not going to happen, but they're going to drop points or potentially be upset in a cup through their own complacency, ie a shite game where it's unexpected, not at Hampden and not v Aberdeen when it's a live contest and not a dead rubber.

That said, I would absolutely f**king love to be wrong...I don't know why anyone who isn't an OF fan wouldn't want Aberdeen to continue this as long as possible, other than against their own team. Mainly for the bigger picture to be sure but even for practical terms, third is clearly done and dusted, so that side beating the rest will help you.

Re points, doing those sums is when even the most wildest dreams of a non-OF title win fall apart - the rest could indulge in a massive conspiracy to gift Aberdeen 30 wins and even starting with 90 points in the bank it's entirely possible they wouldn't get enough in the eight OF games to get over the line.

Just one, of many, reasons we need a bigger league where teams only play each other twice.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

When do the "ex Celtic starlets Johnny McGinn and Nially Hayes cant see past Celtic landslide victory over plucky Dons" stories start? 

At the final whistle probably. 

The only way Aberdeen have any chance of winning this is if they don’t give Celtic too much respect, catch them on an off day, get in their faces and have a bit of luck on their side. Falkirk scored twice there and held out til the 70th minute. Of course Celtic are expected to win this comfortably but it’s not an impossible task. If Aberdeen show this lot too much respect they’ll end up running riot. Basically just don’t fold like a deck chair whenever Celtic attack. 

8 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The only way Aberdeen have any chance of winning this is if they don’t give Celtic too much respect, catch them on an off day, get in their faces and have a bit of luck on their side. Falkirk scored twice there and held out til the 70th minute. Of course Celtic are expected to win this comfortably but it’s not an impossible task. If Aberdeen show this lot too much respect they’ll end up running riot. Basically just don’t fold like a deck chair whenever Celtic attack. 

Perfect cheers for that insightful tactic. Don’t fold.

Our Jimmy has a week and a half to build this into the team and the games a formality.