Celtic v Aberdeen 19th October

54 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The only way Aberdeen have any chance of winning this is if they don’t give Celtic too much respect, catch them on an off day, get in their faces and have a bit of luck on their side. Falkirk scored twice there and held out til the 70th minute. Of course Celtic are expected to win this comfortably but it’s not an impossible task. If Aberdeen show this lot too much respect they’ll end up running riot. Basically just don’t fold like a deck chair whenever Celtic attack. 

Exactly...why should they show massive respect to a side horsed 7-1 in Dortmund. While Aberdeen are not Dortmund or anything like it, that result tells us that Celtic are not this great team the Scottish football media establishment insist they are. 

Edited by kennie makevin

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

The only way Aberdeen have any chance of winning this is if they don’t give Celtic too much respect, catch them on an off day, get in their faces and have a bit of luck on their side. Falkirk scored twice there and held out til the 70th minute. Of course Celtic are expected to win this comfortably but it’s not an impossible task. If Aberdeen show this lot too much respect they’ll end up running riot. Basically just don’t fold like a deck chair whenever Celtic attack. 

I posted as such earlier on in the thread, but Celtic won't take us lightly.

One of their players pretty much came out and said they didn't give Falkirk any respect prior to the match.

Celtic will likely try and kill the game in the first 15-20 mins and come at us at 100mph. 

If you can survive that then you might just have a chance. But you still need to ride your luck and the key in any of these games is bravery, intent and composure when you do have the ball. 

There will be spaces for us if we can do that. 

7 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Exactly...why should they show massive respect to a side horsed 7-1 in Dortmund. While Aberdeen are not Dortmund or anything like it, that result tells us that Celtic are not this great team the Scottish football media establishment insist they are. 

You realise Celtic got horsed 7-1 cause Rodgers is arrogant enough to think they can play an open game against better players.

I'd have thought Aberdeen will try to be solid and hit on the break and they'd be right to do so

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Celtic will likely try and kill the game in the first 15-20 mins and come at us at 100mph. 

If you can survive that then you might just have a chance. But you still need to ride your luck and the key in any of these games is bravery, intent and composure when you do have the ball. 

Absolutely. Much like when at Ibrox, have to ride out the first 20 minutes or so which usually requires a bit of luck as well. Then it’s imperative to grow into the game gradually and use the ball well when possible. The power of the huge crowd can change a little and only then do we have a small chance. 
It also requires at least 2 but possibly 3 goals to win the game. 

16 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I disagree with this 'riding our luck' . If we're hoping to get through the game with the help of good fortune then we're doomed to another defeat.

Why don't we come out the traps all guns blazing, see if we get an early one or two goal lead and give them something to think about?

They really aren't that good; however, teams domestically give them too much respect by making assumptions like this.

I think Kasper the Ghost has got a few errors in him, that back line marshalled by the ropey Scales looks like it can fold under pressure.

Hopefully, JT and PL will treat this like other game and focus on taking three points back up the road.

We all want a team that believe they can win wherever they play. JT needs to show the players that he believes in them and allow them to play with freedom down there.

47 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I disagree with this 'riding our luck' . If we're hoping to get through the game with the help of good fortune then we're doomed to another defeat.

Why don't we come out the traps all guns blazing, see if we get an early one or two goal lead and give them something to think about?

They really aren't that good; however, teams domestically give them too much respect by making assumptions like this.

I think Kasper the Ghost has got a few errors in him, that back line marshalled by the ropey Scales looks like it can fold under pressure.

Hopefully, JT and PL will treat this like other game and focus on taking three points back up the road.

We all want a team that believe they can win wherever they play. JT needs to show the players that he believes in them and allow them to play with freedom down there.

Riding our luck is a reference to the fact we will likely spend periods of the game on the back foot and probably concede some chances. If you think JT has a tactic that avoids this then wonderful, but I find it doubtful. 

I said earlier, I believe there’s chances and possibly goals in this for us. I think we will be brave on the ball, and we have the pace to get in behind them. But I have absolutely no issue with us being compact and hard to breakdown. My lifetime frustration at any non-OF team in these games is how they just gift the ball back to them over and over again. 

I just don’t think we’re at it enough defensively yet to keep them out so as @1GregStewart says, you’re looking at 2 goals required to win at least. 

It’s a tall order. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Riding our luck is a reference to the fact we will likely spend periods of the game on the back foot and probably concede some chances. If you think JT has a tactic that avoids this then wonderful, but I find it doubtful. 

I said earlier, I believe there’s chances and possibly goals in this for us. I think we will be brave on the ball, and we have the pace to get in behind them. But I have absolutely no issue with us being compact and hard to breakdown. My lifetime frustration at any non-OF team in these games is how they just gift the ball back to them over and over again. 

I just don’t think we’re at it enough defensively yet to keep them out so as @1GregStewart says, you’re looking at 2 goals required to win at least. 

It’s a tall order. 

We got three goals in Glasgow against them in April by exposing their defensive fragilities.

I'm not sure whether it was planned or Hoilett's experience and excellent delivery identified the cross ball to the back stick but it worked and caused them a multitude of worries.

Also, a simple ball over the top was enough for our first goal.

They always seem to buy their best players in the midfield/forward areas but seem to ignore the defensive areas which is why they struggle in Europe.

Going down there and allowing them to play headers and volleys in and around our 18 yard box and hoping to carry a large dose of luck is Largs Mafia tactics and a receipe for a walloping.

Somehow JT and PL have got to convince the players not to sit in and take the game to Celtic.

Someone needs to nullify McGregor though and that'll stop much of their impetus from midfield.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

7 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

We got three goals in Glasgow against them in April by exposing their defensive fragilities.

I'm not sure whether it was planned or Hoilett's experience and excellent delivery identified the cross ball to the back stick but it worked and caused them a multitude of worries.

Also, a simple ball over the top was enough for our first goal.

They always seem to buy their best players in the midfield/forward areas but seem to ignore the defensive areas which is why they struggle in Europe.

Going down there and allowing them to play headers and volleys in and around our 18 yard box and hoping to carry a large dose of luck is Largs Mafia tactics and a receipe for a walloping.

Somehow JT and PL have got to convince the players not to sit in and take the game to Celtic.

Someone needs to nullify McGregor though and that'll stop much of their impetus from midfield.

I don’t think you’re interested in reading my posts so I’ll just call you a top red and move on. 

52 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Use the Stephen Glass blueprint, IMO.

The ibrox 2-2 one was probably the most refreshing performance I’ve seen from an Aberdeen team. Had all the elements for success apart from an objective referee. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The ibrox 2-2 one was probably the most refreshing performance I’ve seen from an Aberdeen team. Had all the elements for success apart from an objective referee. 

Aye. I'm half joking but his Old Firm set ups were a breath of fresh air.

3 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Aye. I'm half joking but his Old Firm set ups were a breath of fresh air.

I think you were being facetious in response to my remarks but as @Dons_1988mentions (see I do read your posts!) the 2-2 draw we were excellent and only robbed of victory by Beaton.

And that result was built on getting off to a flyer, 2-0 up within the first 20 minutes and destroying the Sevco attempts to use Walter Smith's death to help them get three points.

Rather than being submissive for the first 20 minutes which, as defined by the Largs book of cliches, 'to quieten the home crowd' use the opening exchanges to catch them cold.

Is it better chasing goals when you're fresh at the beginning of the match or when you're getting weary during the final quarter?

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think you were being facetious in response to my remarks but as @Dons_1988mentions (see I do read your posts!) the 2-2 draw we were excellent and only robbed of victory by Beaton.

And that result was built on getting off to a flyer, 2-0 up within the first 20 minutes and destroying the Sevco attempts to use Walter Smith's death to help them get three points.

Rather than being submissive for the first 20 minutes which, as defined by the Largs book of cliches, 'to quieten the home crowd' use the opening exchanges to catch them cold.

Is it better chasing goals when you're fresh at the beginning of the match or when you're getting weary during the final quarter?

It isn’t really about instructing them to just sit in for 20 minutes then trying to play. Thats obviously silly - what I said was I predicted Celtic would come out flying, and I’m happy to accept that if they do they can put us on the back foot. Obviously if they don’t then we can go for it if the game allows. 

But We can’t just press and have a go for 90 minutes, it’s about picking the right moments in the game to do it and then having the quality when you do. 

On 09/10/2024 at 08:19, DukDukGoose said:

Shocked that Scottish Football won't televise the most anticipated game of the season so far. It will probably never happen but in the future they should consider something like NFL blackout rules where is a game cannot be televised in the team's local market if 85 percent of the tickets are not sold out 72 hours before the starting time of the match.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I was more making a joke at myself wanting us to play how Glass did when the new guy is yet to do anything other than win.

22 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I was more making a joke at myself wanting us to play how Glass did when the new guy is yet to do anything other than win.

Give him time...