Stirling Albion FC vs Clyde FC - 19/10/24

14 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

So it's a poor squad of good players ??  Now that really is a stramash....

I’m not really understanding what folk are struggling with here. There’s a reason we were all excited when the bodies came in. On paper, they’re good players. The squad is poorly put together, and not cohesive at all.

25 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I’m not really understanding what folk are struggling with here. There’s a reason we were all excited when the bodies came in. On paper, they’re good players. The squad is poorly put together, and not cohesive at all.

Because it's a contradiction in terms.  If your view is that they're good players, then by definition that's a well put together squad.  If your point is that they've subsequently been managed poorly, then that's a more coherent argument.

4 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Because it's a contradiction in terms.  If your view is that they're good players, then by definition that's a well put together squad.  If your point is that they've subsequently been managed poorly, then that's a more coherent argument.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive points though and a combination of both is exactly what is being said. We do have good players and they are being managed poorly.

57 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

If your view is that they're good players, then by definition that's a well put together squad.

Completely untrue. You can have a squad that's full of talent but utterly unbalanced and don't gel. For instance the van Gaal Man Utd squad around 2015 - Falcao, Di Maria, Memphis, Kagawa, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Mata, Rooney, van Persie, Carrick - all absolutely superb players but the squad was poorly built, so they failed. See also England, trying to shoehorn Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard and Joe Cole into the same midfield. Four of the best midfielders of their generation (or any generation for that matter) but couldn't be formed a cohesive unit, and failed. Great footballers, poorly put together squads.

Obviously Clyde by comparison of scale are levels of magnitude behind, but the same theory applies - you can handpick the best available players but if you can't make them into a 'team', you'll fail. McCall signed on paper, the best available players seemingly without understanding the requirements of building a squad for the level and has failed. It doesn't make the players bad at football. To argue otherwise is just plain silly.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

52 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Completely untrue.....To argue otherwise is just plain silly.

In your opinion obviously....

So you're suggesting the team / squad isn't balanced.  Is the point you're making that there are too many similar players for the same positions, and they need a different type of player to fill these roles ?

And / or are you proposing there are some positions needing strengthened to match the "quality" that already exists in other areas of the team ?

If so, which positions and any players in mind they should look to bring in ?

4 hours ago, Replays said:

The handball decision and Paul McKay’s attempt at a header look just as bad as they did at the time!

good highlights package. 

way more professional than your team looked on Saturday. 

i'm not sure how much difference it made to the result but the standard of officiating on Saturday was abysmal.  Numerous wrong decisions going both ways.

the defending for Hilson's goal was comedy gold. 

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

In your opinion obviously....

No, you literally said:

4 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

If your view is that they're good players, then by definition that's a well put together squad. 

Which is incorrect, that is not my opinion. You are just wrong. Having good players is not the definition of a well put together squad.

2 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

So you're suggesting the team / squad isn't balanced.  Is the point you're making that there are too many similar players for the same positions, and they need a different type of player to fill these roles ?

Regarding this, I don't think it's merely a suggestion - if you've watched Clyde then you'll know the squad isn't correctly balanced. We have no 'no. 10' despite it being an absolute cornerstone of the formation McCall intended to play. We've tried about eight different bodies there. None have worked. We have Murdoch, Cuddihy, Darren Lyon, Scullion, Grant, Docherty and Hynes to fill two centre midfield positions. We played Logan Dunachie, a centre back who was converted to a striker, at right-back on Saturday and moved Houston to left-back despite having someone who is almost certainly the one of the highest paid players in the league, who happens to be a left back, on the bench. These are not the qualities of a balanced squad.

16 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

good highlights package. 

way more professional than your team looked on Saturday. 

i'm not sure how much difference it made to the result but the standard of officiating on Saturday was abysmal.  Numerous wrong decisions going both ways.

the defending for Hilson's goal was comedy gold. 

The remarkable thing about the handball incident is he’s about 5 yards away from Kerr! However, I really don’t think it would have made a difference in all honesty. He refereed our League Cup game against Montrose and denied what looked like a stonewall penalty in that game, plus missed a pretty poor tackle on a Clyde player. Obviously there’s the old saying of these things even themselves out, but Alex Shepherd isn’t my favourite referee at the minute!

38 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

No, you literally said:

Which is incorrect, that is not my opinion. You are just wrong. Having good players is not the definition of a well put together squad.

Regarding this, I don't think it's merely a suggestion - if you've watched Clyde then you'll know the squad isn't correctly balanced. We have no 'no. 10' despite it being an absolute cornerstone of the formation McCall intended to play. We've tried about eight different bodies there. None have worked. We have Murdoch, Cuddihy, Darren Lyon, Scullion, Grant, Docherty and Hynes to fill two centre midfield positions. We played Logan Dunachie, a centre back who was converted to a striker, at right-back on Saturday and moved Houston to left-back despite having someone who is almost certainly the one of the highest paid players in the league, who happens to be a left back, on the bench. These are not the qualities of a balanced squad.

Dunachie looked a willing tryer but he's never a right back in a million years. 

with the amount of long balls aimed at Jordan Allan and the ineffectiveness of the midfield, you'd have been better off bringing him on at 10 to win some headers.

7 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

Dunachie looked a willing tryer but he's never a right back in a million years. 

with the amount of long balls aimed at Jordan Allan and the ineffectiveness of the midfield, you'd have been better off bringing him on at 10 to win some headers.

Thats been tried. I’ll let you guess whether or not it worked. 

1 hour ago, Brian Carrigan said:

As a general claim, to state that having good players doesn't equate to a well put together squad is ludicrous, without the context.

But now you've explained yourself fully and provided the necessary context, we can now understand the point you are making, that being you feel that there are certain positions which need improved where others are covered with more than adequate backup.  So presumably the idea would be to offload what appears to be surplus to requirements & free up a budget to bring in what's needed in January ?

Perhaps if a new manager is appointed who in turn looks at the squad and decides to play a system best suited for them, that won't be required after all.  The existing squad were shown to be capable enough during the League Cup ties, but time will tell.

3 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

As a general claim, to state that having good players doesn't equate to a well put together squad is ludicrous, without the context.

But now you've explained yourself fully and provided the necessary context, we can now understand the point you are making, that being you feel that there are certain positions which need improved where others are covered with more than adequate backup.  So presumably the idea would be to offload what appears to be surplus to requirements & free up a budget to bring in what's needed in January ?

Perhaps if a new manager is appointed who in turn looks at the squad and decides to play a system best suited for them, that won't be required after all.  The existing squad were shown to be capable enough during the League Cup ties, but time will tell.

Good luck Darren Young...........maybe BC can consult being that he is the font of all knowledge - arrogant pr**k

7 hours ago, Replays said:

The handball decision and Paul McKay’s attempt at a header look just as bad as they did at the time!

I have absolutely no idea if this is right or not, but isn't there a stipulation that if it deflects off another part of your body then onto your hand then it's not a handball?

9 hours ago, Replays said:

As much as it clearly hits Josh Kerr on the arm, the agonised cries of 'he CAUGHT the ball' from the commentary team are utterly cringeworthy.