Accents

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And Renfrewshire. 

Go little over 10 miles to Beith though...

That is not a word used in Beith as far as i am aware. Double checked with the Mrs before i posted this and she agrees. However she says our son takes the piss out of her for using it. She is from Stranraer direction originally

There isn't a single Dundee accent. It's a myth that the eh/non eh thing is class related. The eh is specifically imported from west Ulster.

Basically even amongst the working class you can tell whose ancestors were Irish mill workers and who were Scots dockers, shipbuilders and printers.

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There isn't a single Dundee accent. It's a myth that the eh/non eh thing is class related. The eh is specifically imported from west Ulster.

Basically even amongst the working class you can tell whose ancestors were Irish mill workers and who were Scots dockers, shipbuilders and printers.

I would say South Ulster. 

A large number of families, particularly women came from County Cavan and settled in the Blackness Road area. The idea of the whole of Lochee being Wee Tipperary is largely a myth..

Edited by Cosmic Joe

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I would say South Ulster. 

A large number of families, particularly women came from County Cavan and settled in the Blackness Road area. The idea of the whole of Lochee being Wee Tipperary is largely a myth..

Ok but it wasn't just Cavan. It was Derry, Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan too. Even Sligo.

It's not really a myth it was a nickname given by Scots locals rather than anyone thinking it was actually people from Tipperary. 

The Scottish Gaelic migration to Dundee was almost entirely Easter Ross, East Inverness-shire and Perthshire too due to them also being linen weaving areas.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Where have you heard this? I class EK as a Glaswegian colony, so we never had an accent I could distinguish from Glaswegian. However, my colleagues from Larkhall sounded like they came from a different time period and would use "ken" liberally (as well as "bunkers" to which I've alluded previously). Aside from Larkhall and the redneck parts of Lanarkshire (Lesmahagow etc) where would you say you've heard an accent that distinguishes itself?

I'd agree here. It's only when you reach the more outlying areas of Lanarkshire that you really encounter this type of vocabulary and, on the whole, there's not a huge difference to Glaswegian, except for perhaps our neds being slightly less nasally.

Hailing from the articulate and cultured Motherwell area, I was surprised at the difference a journey of  less than 10 miles to Larkhall made when I started work there at 18. Liberal use of 'ken' as you say, yin and twa' when counting which isn't the case across most of the region, and also the first time I'd heard of your eyes being referred to as your 'een' (sp?) . Most of the workforce were obviously from Larky as well as the surrounding places like Coalburn, Stonehouse and the 'Gow, so incorporated all manner of weirdo's right enough. 

6 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I'd agree here. It's only when you reach the more outlying areas of Lanarkshire that you really encounter this type of vocabulary and, on the whole, there's not a huge difference to Glaswegian, except for perhaps our neds being slightly less nasally.

Hailing from the articulate and cultured Motherwell area, I was surprised at the difference a journey of  less than 10 miles to Larkhall made when I started work there at 18. Liberal use of 'ken' as you say, yin and twa' when counting which isn't the case across most of the region, and also the first time I'd heard of your eyes being referred to as your 'een' (sp?) . Most of the workforce were obviously from Larky as well as the surrounding places like Coalburn, Stonehouse and the 'Gow, so incorporated all manner of weirdo's right enough. 

I'm sorry, what? 

Translation please

I started work in 1979, Glaswegians said I had a different accent as I was from Airdrie. I didn't buy it then and I don't now. However, between Caldercruix and Blackridge something changes. Salsburgh is kind of mixed, but Harthill could be in the Highlands.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I started work in 1979, Glaswegians said I had a different accent as I was from Airdrie. I didn't buy it then and I don't now. However, between Caldercruix and Blackridge something changes. Salsburgh is kind of mixed, but Harthill could be in the Highlands.

You do.

My mother side are from your neck of the woods, mainly Coatbridge.  Fathers side from Glasgow, they definitely have different accents.  I always thought my fathers side sounded more posher.😆