Certainly within my top 10 anyway.Back to reality though:

James - Sit Down

:ph34r:

Certainly within my top 10 anyway.Back to reality though:

James - Sit Down

:ph34r:

Apologies for doing this, but:

'Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me'

is one of the finest lines I've ever heard in any song. I keep hoping to meet them ona train one day so that I can sit down and then find myself less ridiculous. :ph34r:

Apologies for doing this, but:

'Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me'

is one of the finest lines I've ever heard in any song. I keep hoping to meet them ona train one day so that I can sit down and then find myself less ridiculous. :ph34r:

:lol:

James are a good band,they don't have just a couple of likeable songs - the majority off them are damn good.

James - Tomorrow

Definitely one of my favourites.

Are you suggesting that the Leonard Cohen one is better? :lol::lol:

It`s a mile better. It`s his song FFS. That p***k Buckley managed to add an extra two minutes to it with his Whitney Houston style warbling. Buckley doesnt even understand the fucking song.

The boy could hold a tune. I`m not saying he couldnt sing as he obviously could. He just didn`t have soul. His version of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side is also horrible.

It was some kiddie/teeny programme that brought Buckleys version of Hallelujah to the fore. So loads of teenage kids now think it is THE version of the song. I really dislike that version of it and it colours my view of Buckley as a result. Its not the guys fault but I just think he wrecks the song by overdoing the vocals on it.

For a comparison, listen to Dolly Partons version of I Will Always Love You. Then listen to the Whitney Houston version of it. :( That`s exactly what I am banging on about. It`s a vehicle to show off the vocal range rather than a singer singing the song because it`s beautiful.

It`s a mile better. It`s his song FFS. That p***k Buckley managed to add an extra two minutes to it with his Whitney Houston style warbling. Buckley doesnt even understand the fucking song.

The boy could hold a tune. I`m not saying he couldnt sing as he obviously could. He just didn`t have soul. His version of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side is also horrible.

I know this is a debate that crops up every couple of months, but I couldn't agree more with this. I'm not going to deny that Buckley had a fairly impressive voice, but it leaves me totally cold. I really hope that death claims me before I ever have to hear his version of 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side', as I'm shuddering at the thought of it.

For a comparison, listen to Dolly Partons version of I Will Always Love You. Then listen to the Whitney Houston version of it. :( That`s exactly what I am banging on about. It`s a vehicle to show off the vocal range rather than a singer singing the song because it`s beautiful.

That's a very good example. Thanks to her image and comedy breasts, it's often forgotten what a great singer Dolly Parton is, and her version of I will Always Love you is a lovely song beautifully sung. Whitney ruins it by her vocal histrionics and makes it unlistenable, as she has no idea how to interpret the song. She may have an impressive range but this does not make her a good singer.

I'm going to also cite Tim Hardin's Reason To Believe. His original has a fragility and emotional punch that none of the many covers have come close to capturing.