Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's warm outside.

If I wanted this nonsense then I'd have emigrated already.

Going to work in a suit in >25 degrees is one of the least pleasant experiences I've ever had. Particularly when you're stuck standing in a packed carriage for the majority of the hour journey.

Edited by Honest_Man#1
Typo

Just now, sjc said:

Which World war was Afghanistan then?

So you think Remembrance Day is just for the World Wars then?

By your logic, in about ten years we can clear away that clock at Haymarket and improve the traffic flow.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

So you think Remembrance Day is just for the World Wars then?

By your logic, in about ten years we can clear away that clock at Haymarket and improve the traffic flow.

I get that it doesn't just cover the WW's but these are the wars that it's centred around as opposed to hugely criticised Political wars. 

In what way am I suggesting knocking down War memorials?

By your logic we should be commemorating all wars in history. Waterloo, battle of the Bogne......

Just now, sjc said:

By your logic we should be commemorating all wars in history. Waterloo, battle of the Bogne......

No, wars with living survivors. Which as I said will take a while to slip out of the picture, even if they stopped now.

And some people do still commemorate the Battle of the Boyne...

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

No, wars with living survivors. Which as I said will take a while to slip out of the picture, even if they stopped now.

And some people do still commemorate the Battle of the Boyne...

Reference to Battle of the Bogne was kind of the point I'm making. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month was born out of WW1 and understandably incorporated WW2 but the shoehorning in of hugely controversial and in some cases downright illegal wars doesn't fit right with those that opposed them in the first place.

This doesn't mean I don't respect the fallen of said wars or flash points. 

15 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Dont forget Hibs v Rangers 2016.

#lestweforget

Rangers* fans should have obtained a UN mandate prior to entering the pitch imo.

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

That's the only reason I wear a poppy in November tbh,

I lost half a canine in a disagreement with one of the ringleaders. He got a nasty infection on his hand. I exacted my revenge with a lobster pot a couple of years later on a school trip.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Some BBC Twat interviewing some wifie who lived in the same street as the Manx bomber.

"So he had a black flag flying his front window did he"
"Yes, I think it was a flag"
"And it had Islamic writing on it?"
"Erm I don't know, I never really noticed to be honest"
"So it wasn't English writing"
"Erm, err no"

Manx bomber? He was from the Isle of Man? I thought he was from Manchester

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Reference to Battle of the Bogne was kind of the point I'm making. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month was born out of WW1 and understandably incorporated WW2 but the shoehorning in of hugely controversial and in some cases downright illegal wars doesn't fit right with those that opposed them in the first place.

This doesn't mean I don't respect the fallen of said wars or flash points. 

So would you be willing to go up to the relative of an Iraq or Afghanistan casualty on Remembrance Sunday and tell them that their loved one doesn't count? Once you start drawing lines it's difficult to know where to stop. The son of a friend of my dad's fought in the Falklands and came home without a scratch. A couple of years later he was on manoeuvres in Belize, riding on the back of a Land-Rover which took a bend too fast and overturned. He was crushed underneath it. He died serving his country but not in a war environment. Do his folks get to remember him on 11th November?

Oh, Willie McBride, I can't help wonder why
Do those who lie here know why did they die?
And did they believe when they answered the call
Did they really believe that this war could end wars?

O, the sorrow, the suffering, the glory, the pain
The killing and dying, 'twas all done in vain
For, young Willie McBride, oh it happened again
And again and again and again and again...

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

People who view not having seen a particularly famous film as some kind of badge of honour. 

Aye well done mate you've not seen star wars. My fucking hero 

Absolutely this. I don't have the slightest problem if somebody tells me they've never seen a particular film - maybe it doesn't float their boat; god knows there are thousands of films I have no desire to see. But I don't boast about them.

3 hours ago, sjc said:

Very true. I'm all for showing respect to those that lost their lives in both the World wars but am beginning to think it might be time to stop Remembrance Day once the last of the veterans dies.

I'd go with that. Only remember those from WW2, Its the only war where we really had no choice.