Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I love it how the north east is the only part of Scotland where the word Buckie isn't immediately associated with some god awful cheap tonic wine!

Buckie Prawns could be some Glaswegian delicacy for all I know!

http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/stirling-news/local-news-stirling/news-stirling/2010/11/10/butchers-add-buckfast-for-pie-delicacy-51226-27628328/

Stirling has the Buckie Pie....mind it is the Raploch.

If you don't pay mobile bills for whatever reason, they just pass you on to a debt collector who are normally pretty ruthless at chasnng up debt, plus it will affect your credit rating.

You don't get debt collectors in Scotland. That's an English thing

Not true. You don't get debt collectors in a "we'll come to your door and threaten you" way (unless you've borrowed from a loan shark) but there are plenty of Sherrif Officers and the like who collect debts on behalf of councils and businesses.

Not true. You don't get debt collectors in a "we'll come to your door and threaten you" way (unless you've borrowed from a loan shark) but there are plenty of Sherrif Officers and the like who collect debts on behalf of councils and businesses.

The difference is all in enforcement. They can still come and take your stuff if you keep defaulting, but they have to apply to a Sheriff and go through lots of hoops like warnings and attempt to reach an equitable repayment plan.

I love it how the north east is the only part of Scotland where the word Buckie isn't immediately associated with some god awful cheap tonic wine!

Buckie Prawns could be some Glaswegian delicacy for all I know!

Buckfast isn't cheap at all.

Correct.

Sheriff's Officers don't collect debts, they simply issue debt notices by hand. The "collection" part of a Sheriff Officer / Messenger-At-Arms company is simply a call centre which takes debit card payments on behalf of its clients (usually Councils) but they have no legal powers.

The difference is all in enforcement. They can still come and take your stuff if you keep defaulting, but they have to apply to a Sheriff and go through lots of hoops like warnings and attempt to reach an equitable repayment plan.

No, they can't.

P.S. I blame you lot as well. For some reason I am tempted to read all the posts in here and I got a disciplinary a couple of months back for gross misuse of my time, which ultimately cost me my job when it came down to the redundancy matrix!

They told me I could take the afternoon off too so I could get pissed or whatever. I think they did that in purpose and they knew I was too skint to go to the boozer.....

Give PnB as your reference.

From your own link: "In theory, yes. In practice, this is very rare. Before sending in sheriff officers, creditors must have tried other ways of collecting your money. They also need a court order to enter your home and seize your possessions, so it is very unlikely that this would happen."

As one who works in law, I can assure you that Sheriff Officers most certainly will not be sent into your home to collect your goods, under any circumstances. It is possible in theoretical Scots Law, but will not happen.

From your own link: "In theory, yes. In practice, this is very rare. Before sending in sheriff officers, creditors must have tried other ways of collecting your money. They also need a court order to enter your home and seize your possessions, so it is very unlikely that this would happen."

As one who works in law, I can assure you that Sheriff Officers most certainly will not be sent into your home to collect your goods, under any circumstances. It is possible in theoretical Scots Law, but will not happen.

No one said it wasn't rare. It can happen so it's wrong to say to people that it won't. You can absolutely say it is extremely unlikely because of the discretion afforded to a Sheriff in deciding whether to grant a warrant and the extreme reluctance to exercise it even when all other remedies are exhausted. You cannot say that it definitely won't happen.

No one said it wasn't rare. It can happen so it's wrong to say to people that it won't. You can absolutely say it is extremely unlikely because of the discretion afforded to a Sheriff in deciding whether to grant a warrant and the extreme reluctance to exercise it even when all other remedies are exhausted. You cannot say that it definitely won't happen.

Your pedantry has become very predictable.

Sheriff Officers will NOT be sent to collect or repossess in Scotland. Regardless of the fact that the law that allows them to still exists, it will never be exercised. There are far too many variables and ways out of it and no solicitor would let it get that far, nor would any Sheriff in the land.

Your pedantry may be self-satisfying, but you are wrong. As I have stated, the law may exist and, as such, it is theoretically possible, but theoretically possible is no basis for your argument in this case.

You are wrong. Take it from me, little boy.

Your pedantry has become very predictable.

Sheriff Officers will NOT be sent to collect or repossess in Scotland. Regardless of the fact that the law that allows them to still exists, it will never be exercised. There are far too many variables and ways out of it and no solicitor would let it get that far, nor would any Sheriff in the land.

Your pedantry may be self-satisfying, but you are wrong. As I have stated, the law may exist and, as such, it is theoretically possible, but theoretically possible is no basis for your argument in this case.

You are wrong. Take it from me, little boy.

The CAB's literature suggests otherwise. "Rare" does not equal "never happens under any circumstances".

Edited by Ad Lib

The CAB's literature suggests otherwise. "Rare" does not equal "never happens under any circumstances".

They are obliged to say that as the law exists. It will not happen. That is all.

Oh, and for the record, never take legal advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.