Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

And Wales, which is specifically mentions. <_<

Ehm, no. England AND Wales saw reduced rainfall. If the Rhineland and Bavaria had below average rainfall whilst Berlin and Hamburg had double, you wouldn't be complaining if it said "Germany" was suffering drought.

So the "UK" is the same as "England and Wales"? If it was an international article, I wouldn't say anything, but its a domestic one, aimed at the British audience. Its just like the map that was showing how "Britain's" soil was drying out, right in the face of all the evidence on the very maps they were talking about. If I was Catalan, and had endured record rainfall, but a domestic newspaper reported that Spain had suffered a massive drought, I can imagine I would also get a little shirty.

£3.20 for a Kids box meal at the chippy in Bonnybridge for the wean. Hardly any chips and 3 scabby wee fishfingers. An adult supper starts from £3.50. Oh how us parents are exploited mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

£3.20 for a Kids box meal at the chippy in Bonnybridge for the wean. Hardly any chips and 3 scabby wee fishfingers. An adult supper starts from £3.50. Oh how us parents are exploited mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Or you could feed your kid something healthy for a fraction of that price

This digital changeover is a piece of fucking shite. Re-tuned the box again as instructed, and it's tuned BBC One, Two, Three, STV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 into numbers 840 - 846, and my box won't let me move them. Why change something that worked perfectly fine? I also used to get perfect signal in my room, since the changeover it's been gash, and i'm up moving the aerial every two minutes.

Change isn't bad, isn't fucking brutal.

Or you could feed your kid something healthy for a fraction of that price

True. But she gets a chippy dinner every now and then. Fwiw, she does eat very well and healthily smile.gif .

My point was just because it comes in a box of whatever tv prog is popular with the kids, it does not justify the high price

So the "UK" is the same as "England and Wales"? If it was an international article, I wouldn't say anything, but its a domestic one, aimed at the British audience. Its just like the map that was showing how "Britain's" soil was drying out, right in the face of all the evidence on the very maps they were talking about. If I was Catalan, and had endured record rainfall, but a domestic newspaper reported that Spain had suffered a massive drought, I can imagine I would also get a little shirty.

You're kicking up a fuss about absolutely nothing. It's the equivalent to Stenhousemuir kicking up a fuss about a football article on debt in Scottish football in the Herald because it says "Scottish Football is in turmoil" whilst they are secure and making money from their plastic pitch.

No one's saying that "the UK" is "the same as" "England and Wales". No one is saying "Catalonia" is the same as "Spain". No one is saying that "Every Scottish football club" is the same as "Scottish football". There's simply no case to answer.

It makes not a blind bit of difference whether the article is "international" or "domestic". If Hyndland is hit by an arsonist, Glasgow is hit by an arsonist, as is Scotland, as is the UK, as is Europe, as is the Earth, as is the Solar System, as is the Milky Way, as is the Universe.

True. But she gets a chippy dinner every now and then. Fwiw, she does eat very well and healthily smile.gif .

My point was just because it comes in a box of whatever tv prog is popular with the kids, it does not justify the high price

That is quite a price aye

Wimbledon is nearly here or should i say SW19....What is it with this sporting arena that it gets it Post Code. I go to Tyncastle not EH11 .

Totally irrelevant but I went by Wimbledon on Friday. Centre court is fucking massive

edit: Must be an English thing. You sometimes see on English club flags at football with the teams' post code.

Edited by Milevskiy

You're kicking up a fuss about absolutely nothing. It's the equivalent to Stenhousemuir kicking up a fuss about a football article on debt in Scottish football in the Herald because it says "Scottish Football is in turmoil" whilst they are secure and making money from their plastic pitch.

No one's saying that "the UK" is "the same as" "England and Wales". No one is saying "Catalonia" is the same as "Spain". No one is saying that "Every Scottish football club" is the same as "Scottish football". There's simply no case to answer.

It makes not a blind bit of difference whether the article is "international" or "domestic". If Hyndland is hit by an arsonist, Glasgow is hit by an arsonist, as is Scotland, as is the UK, as is Europe, as is the Earth, as is the Solar System, as is the Milky Way, as is the Universe.

Actually, it does make a difference. You wouldn't put reporting Scotland on to hear that "Scotland has been hit by an arsonist". Its a different point of reference. Its the petty nags thread, this is a petty nag, and it happens all the bloody time, which is what irritates me. The Americans doing it I can understand, after all, despite your denials in the past, they use Britain and England interchangeably. It makes sense that they would just refer to Britain as a whole. But for a domestic article? Not good enough.

Actually, it does make a difference. You wouldn't put reporting Scotland on to hear that "Scotland has been hit by an arsonist".

Uh, yeah you would.

Edit: and what about on, for example, Reporting Scotland, where they occasionally run an article saying e.g. religiously aggravated crime has risen in Scotland, without even acknowledging that in some parts it has fallen? Or perhaps a report that "pass rates in Scottish exams have gone up"... what about the 2 or 3 local authorities where they went down?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that the UK has been hit by reduced rainfall, but then to qualify that by saying that Scotland has bucked the trend.

Edited by Ad Lib

I am absolutely shiting it for tomorrow.

I sat an extended response assessment on Monday, which I had previously failed a couple weeks ago. I am pish at extended response exams, I always have been. I get the result for it tomorrow. Basically if I fail it, I'll probably fail my HND. Which is a shitter when I have what looks like an A in my graded unit. It's also annoying as all other assessments allow 2 re-sits but this one only allows one re-sit.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

Yes you would. They would then go on to say "the c**t's been active in the North Larnarkshire area".

That isn't the same as what I originally said. But you wouldn't have "Scotland has been hit by an arsonist" on reporting Scotland without further detail. Why does this petty nag bother you so?

That isn't the same as what I originally said. But you wouldn't have "Scotland has been hit by an arsonist" on reporting Scotland without further detail. Why does this petty nag bother you so?

Because it has no rational basis for legitimate complaint.

Edited by Ad Lib

Guest The Phoenix

Its a petty thing that gets on my nerves. Why do you care so much?

Petty is when people moan about posters who fail to use apostrophes.

Then... just buy them an adult meal? Or a half portion?