Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

This gets me grumpy as f**k. I usually just listen to Radio 4 but, even there, they call it "Derry,-Londonderry". This is the most ridiculous fudge. Just get off the fence, ya p***ks.

Edited to add.......there are a fair-few NI posters around. This is neither a political nor a religious point.....but aren't you sick to the back teeth of the BBC calling your second-largest city "Derry-Londonderry"?

I don't mind, to be honest. Most people used to call it "Derry" in my experience, until Sinn Fein started making a song and dance about "Derry", and how people working for Londonderry City Council felt "demeaned", so then unionists took it thick and would go out of their way to say "Londonderry". Gerry Anderson has the right idea, he calls it (his native city) "Stroke City". (Derry stroke Londonderry). Of course the city council is now called Derry City Council, so, in the spirit of being as petty minded as those who object to Londonderry I would address any correspondence I have to Derry City Council, 98 Strand Road, Londonderry. I find myself using both names.

However, it does get a bit ridiculous when you hear the Apprentice Boys of Derry saying you have to be initiated into the Apprentice Boys of Derry within the walls of Londonderry!

Even the buses say Derry/Londonderry on their destination boards. The main Belfast/Londonderry express is referred to as The Maiden City Flyer to try to avoid the "D" and "L" words. :lol:

There are 2 papers - The Derry Journal and the Londonderry Sentinel

There is no way the BBC will "outrage" one half of the community by taking sides in the Stroke City debate. Aye, I suppose it is all a bit petty, but dropping the London part would have big symbolic significance to unionists, along the same lines as the Union Flag dispute in Belfast, but in the case of Londonderry/Derry the unionists can still keep the flag flying, so to speak!

I don't mind, to be honest. Most people used to call it "Derry" in my experience, until Sinn Fein started making a song and dance about "Derry", and how people working for Londonderry City Council felt "demeaned", so then unionists took it thick and would go out of their way to say "Londonderry". Gerry Anderson has the right idea, he calls it (his native city) "Stroke City". (Derry stroke Londonderry).

Good post Jack and I'm happy I asked you to post! Gerry Anderson is a good broadcaster but we don't hear him at all on Radio 4 these days.

When I went to Uni in London in the early 80's one of my friends was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and she had no problem calling her home city 'Derry'. Clearly something has changed.

Good post Jack and I'm happy I asked you to post! Gerry Anderson is a good broadcaster but we don't hear him at all on Radio 4 these days.

When I went to Uni in London in the early 80's one of my friends was a member of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and she had no problem calling her home city 'Derry'. Clearly something has changed.

He has a show on Radio Ulster from 10.30 to 12 every morning which I am sure you could get on podcast (?). I find him absolutely hilarious and some of his chat with phone in callers are absolutely brilliant. He also plays a lot of good music, and his interaction with his assistant Sean Coyle (another Derry man) is first class. Unfortunately Gerry is off sick at the moment, so Sean is carrying the whole show. (Gerry doing the jokes/interviews and Sean picking the music would be the best of both worlds.)

He has a show on Radio Ulster from 10.30 to 12 every morning which I am sure you could get on podcast (?). I find him absolutely hilarious and some of his chat with phone in callers are absolutely brilliant. He also plays a lot of good music, and his interaction with his assistant Sean Coyle (another Derry man) is first class. Unfortunately Gerry is off sick at the moment, so Sean is carrying the whole show. (Gerry doing the jokes/interviews and Sean picking the music would be the best of both worlds.)

I'll try and listen to that. He's a wee but like a Northern Ireland Tom Morton. Good music and good chat. Maybe not for the P&B youngsters, though ;)

I'll try and listen to that. He's a wee but like a Northern Ireland Tom Morton. Good music and good chat. Maybe not for the P&B youngsters, though ;)

Maybe not, but you either have a sense of humour, or you don't, I don't think it's an age thing. (Maybe you meant the music?? :lol: )

Here's a link re Gerry's illness, no idea what is wrong, and I've heard Sean (Coyle) say on the wireless that Gerry wants his privacy respected - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CD4QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsletter.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fgerry-anderson-to-return-to-airwaves-1-4806862&ei=XlmqUaKaKIz40gXQ9oDgDQ&usg=AFQjCNFTMjA00I7jH2lV7ifhBl-a6DkchA&bvm=bv.47244034,d.d2k

ETA: That's 3 months ago and no word of him getting back in the saddle.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Did you tune in to Babestation before the free cut off?

Now now,

You know what I mean ;)

She was a good ho too,

Had her 19 years, they don't make them like that any more, :(

Only had 4 new shafts & 3 heads in that time too :P

Now now,

You know what I mean ;)

She was a good ho too,

Had her 19 years, they don't make them like that any more, :(

Only had 4 new shafts & 3 heads in that time too :P

I inherited mine from my father in law, this is impressive because he has been dead for 14 years and his shaft has just broken.

Adults (who don't have kids) that go to Disneyland for their holidays.

Went there last year (well Florida, but went to Disney) with my now ex girlfriend

It was awesome

Sent from ma phone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

BBC ONE on a Sunday . The Beast Boys Corporation as a whole is more than a petty annoyance and natural history stuff aside i'm all for culling the lot.

Back to bbc 1 on a sunday. It's the day for c**t tv.

6am Breakfast Three hour double act with a couple of plastic c***s whose presentation and banter makes the Krankies look like cultured and witty raconteurs.

9am The Andrew Marr Show Views show of a c**t

10am The Big Question A crowd usually dominated by various types of God/Gods botherers hosted by that c**t nicky Campbell

11am Sunday Politics Hosted by Andrew (protector of farage ) Neil , tends not to be coked to the eyeballs on this one but still a c**t joined by fellow unionist c***s

12:20pm Countryfile Clue is in the title. A programme by and for the c***s who own most of country and spend their time destroying it and keeping other folk the f**k off it . Land owning, benefit and subsidy scrounging c***s.

1:15pm Bargain Hunt Usually a couple of snotty antique dealing c***s with a couple of pairs of not so clued up people with too much time to waste. Looking to rip off some poor sod who doesn't know the value of summat and then sell it off at auction for plenty wedge. As they're assisted by the type of knobs who've been running the economy, this normally ends up with financial losses not even including the costs of running the whole fucking charade and paying the clowns involved

This week is a Children in Need charity special, so a bonus payout for terry feckin wogan.

2:00pm Homes Under The Hammer An indepth look at the rise in home repossessions and the difficult , sometimes tragic consequences for the families affected. Not.

3pm Points of View Complaints about the lack of English period drama on Aunty Beeb and compliments about the flower show coverage and if only the weather had been better. c***s

3:15pm Escape to the Country About c***s who want to relocate somewhere where they can be with other c***s and tell people who don't own a big house to ''get orf our fucking countryside''

4:15pm Songs of Praise Where a bunch of c***s pack a church to give thanks that they're not poor even though they don't really believe in Dog, but the wife insisted as all the WI will be there and they'd told the kid's school they were church goers .

4:55pm The Queen: A Passion for Horses :unsure2:

6:15pm Countryfile that c**t is visiting near to where I was born and polluting it with his cuntinside

7:15pm The Voice UK karaoke for c***s. I'll vote for the one that shoots each cunting judge through the back of their chairs using a silencer after deliberately singing Jerusalem out of tune

8:30pm Case Histories never seen it. About two good cops who've got c***s.

10:25pm The Matt Lucas Award English national treasure , professional sexual deviant and archetypal private school boy. Can be a bit of a c**t

10:55pm Live at the Apollo Starts with that c**t lee mack , but might get better inbetween his reappearance .

11:40pm The Sky at Night Lives of the Stars more shit about celebrities! c***s