Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I have a 1,500 word report to do for tomorrow. I've spent the last three hours attempting to start it but I've only managed 300 words. I have no motivation to do it whatsoever and I'm spending my time on StumbleUpon instead.

I do the same thing, I always tell myself to be motivated, but it never happens, just as well I always try and get it in the day before no matter what.

I have a 1,500 word report to do for tomorrow. I've spent the last three hours attempting to start it but I've only managed 300 words. I have no motivation to do it whatsoever and I'm spending my time on StumbleUpon instead.

i am looking at the building where you live right now. if you don't get it finished i'm going to set fire to it.

here to help.

I've been filling in so many job/intern applications about how great I am and it's really making me hate myself dry.gif

I've just started today, looking for a summer internship. Currently in the process of filling in my first application, I'm making sure I do one a day until I either get something or run out of options.

I've just started today, looking for a summer internship. Currently in the process of filling in my first application, I'm making sure I do one a day until I either get something or run out of options.

What ind of places are you looking at? I've really just went through alphabetically the guide I got at the internship fair (hint : don't do this).

I spend ages on mine though, I must have spent around 2 weeks on my Accenture one so far.

Fucking useless politics students.

We're put into groups of 4 and take it in turns to present seminar papers on a given subject to the rest of the class each week. 3 people are supposed to submit seminar papers on Monday before the seminar on Wednesday and one person is supposed to chair and submit a reflective report the following week.

Seminars are on Wednesday and I emailed the other three on their University email accounts asking to meet up to arrange subdivision of the topic, decide who was doing which seminar paper and who was to chair. Two made an effort to get in contact before Friday, and assumed responsibility for seminar papers. It was agreed I would chair and that the third paper would be done by the absent person and an email was sent out on Friday confirming this. I then posted on our subject forum to alert this person to the fact several emails had been sent around arranging what we would do and to encourage him to check it. I sent another email yesterday suggesting that we meet up to check progress of the papers on Monday and both of the others replied in the affirmative.

I received an email from Mr Missing this evening (4 days after the first email was sent with another 9 having been circulated by the group as a whole in the 3 subsequent days), with no apology for not responding to emails sooner, a half-hearted apology for not telling us that he was away from Glasgow the last few days and wouldn't be back until Wednesday, an acknowledgement that this wasn't convenient because the "essays are due in either this week or next week" (er, try fucking tomorrow, son) and an offer to "help us" in what way he could with "finding journal articles".

No fucking wonder unemployment among young people is so high if our Universities are churning out such lazy and incompetent graduates.

I think part of the reason they give you these assignments is precisely to prepare you for the world of work. In a mid-level job, in most randomly-assigned groups of four you will be teamed with someone who's lazy, incompetent, or both. Granted, not to the extent of the guy you describe here, but the same applies. For all your bleating about leadership and initiative etc. in the other thread this is actually the perfect arena in which you could show it. For one thing, after 7 or 8 emails would you not figure he's not going to read it and try phoning him instead?

I think part of the reason they give you these assignments is precisely to prepare you for the world of work. In a mid-level job, in most randomly-assigned groups of four you will be teamed with someone who's lazy, incompetent, or both. Granted, not to the extent of the guy you describe here, but the same applies.

They're the sort of people who should never get a graduate job.

For all your bleating about leadership and initiative etc. in the other thread this is actually the perfect arena in which you could show it. For one thing, after 7 or 8 emails would you not figure he's not going to read it and try phoning him instead?

I didn't bleat about leadership in the other thread. Interaction and organisation are pre-requisites for, but not exclusive to leadership. In any case I don't have any other contact details for him. We found out our groups last Wednesday at the tutorial and despite waiting back at the end to try to catch the others, he had disappeared before I had a chance to get any other contact details. There are 45 people on the course so it's not as though you go around getting everyone's phone number on the off-chance you end up assigned the same seminar group as them. Besides, they're politics students. Law students mostly pretend they don't exist.

As it happens I just wrote a seminar paper myself and sent an email back to him telling him he could chair the tutorial instead. Not so much as an acknowledgement by means of a response. <_<

Edited by Ad Lib

They're the sort of people who should never get a graduate job.

'Graduate job' isn't exactly a status-filled position these days, is it?

I didn't bleat about leadership in the other thread. Interaction and organisation are pre-requisites for, but not exclusive to leadership. In any case I don't have any other contact details for him. We found out our groups last Wednesday at the tutorial and despite waiting back at the end to try to catch the others, he had disappeared before I had a chance to get any other contact details. There are 45 people on the course so it's not as though you go around getting everyone's phone number on the off-chance you end up assigned the same seminar group as them. Besides, they're politics students. Law students mostly pretend they don't exist.

As it happens I just wrote a seminar paper myself and sent an email back to him telling him he could chair the tutorial instead. Not so much as an acknowledgement by means of a response. <_<

Excuses, excuses. If one of my staff came to me with a sob story like this I'd be none too pleased.

'Graduate job' isn't exactly a status-filled position these days, is it?

Come to think of it someone as incompetent as the politics student in question probably shouldn't be trusted flipping burgers either.

Excuses, excuses. If one of my staff came to me with a sob story like this I'd be none too pleased.

Oh f**k off you troll. :D

What ind of places are you looking at? I've really just went through alphabetically the guide I got at the internship fair (hint : don't do this).

I spend ages on mine though, I must have spent around 2 weeks on my Accenture one so far.

Finance and banking primarily.