Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

40 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Overtaking protocol not being observed.

On a winding country road, you have a Sunday driver in front of you and some wide boy in a Golf GTI impatiently nosing up right behind you.

The straight bit on the road appears - all is clear, mirrors, signal, manoeu..............no chance, this pr1ck is predictably already on his way.

I was driving home from St. Andrews on Sunday and when I got just past Stirling I ended up behind a wee old lady in a Mini. She was going about 45mph on a 60 but I knew it was only a few hundred yards to the next straight which I could overtake, so just sat biding my time. There was some impatient arsehole in a Land Rover behind me who was beeping his horn every 3 seconds. Sure enough we turn the corner into the next straight and it's clear, I look in my mirror and the p***k behind me has already moved out and is still beeping his horn as he drove past both of us. I had a wee chuckle to my self 5 minutes later when I caught up with him and he was stuck behind a tractor.

I don't know why folk must go everywhere so fast, unless you're travelling hundreds and hundreds of miles then speeding realistically only saves you a few minutes at most. Putting lives at risk for that is completely pointless.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

To be fair, doing 45 in a 60 should be punishable by death.  You can see why the guy was pissed off.

We were stuck behind her for about 2 minutes max. I can get pissed off with many things myself on the road but that Stirling road back towards Balloch has umpteen opportunities to overtake safely, there was no need for his aggression in my opinion, especially on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

We were stuck behind her for about 2 minutes max. I can get pissed off with many things myself on the road but that Stirling road back towards Balloch has umpteen opportunities to overtake safely, there was no need for his aggression in my opinion, especially on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

^^^ Sunday driver.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

To be fair, doing 45 in a 60

That grinds my gears too. Especially when they all 'form a queue' leaving no spaces for those who want to make progress overtake. Or when they brake for a corner you could safely negotiate at 80. 

No need for horn tooting or aggression but please, just give us a little room. We'll be out yer way soon enough. It's not about 'time' for me, it's just I like to drive at 60 (ish officer ;) ) when conditions permit. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't know why folk must go everywhere so fast, unless you're travelling hundreds and hundreds of miles then speeding realistically only saves you a few minutes at most. Putting lives at risk for that is completely pointless.

Very much this.

I've driven Plymouth to Dumfries a few times coming back from Brittany and the difference between absolutely bombing it and sticking ( more or less within limits ) was only about 30/45 minutes

I was driving home from St. Andrews on Sunday and when I got just past Stirling I ended up behind a wee old lady in a Mini. She was going about 45mph on a 60 but I knew it was only a few hundred yards to the next straight which I could overtake, so just sat biding my time. There was some impatient arsehole in a Land Rover behind me who was beeping his horn every 3 seconds. Sure enough we turn the corner into the next straight and it's clear, I look in my mirror and the p***k behind me has already moved out and is still beeping his horn as he drove past both of us. I had a wee chuckle to my self 5 minutes later when I caught up with him and he was stuck behind a tractor.

I travel in the Borders a lot, and some things you see on the roads down there is somewhere between lunacy and suicide.

Better to be late than dead

Ps The Land Rover driver is obviously a thunderc**t of the highest order.