Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

A couple of years after I'd left school I went back to my old school prom as I was the bassist in my old band.

I got thrown out for wearing a "Free Nelson Mandela" t-shirt :lol:

At least you went! :(

I had no money at the time it had to be paid!

Now I could easily afford it.

I'm the other way round, I was feeling pretty flush when I actually paid for it.

Now though, I'm going next Wednesday with about £3.26 to spend on drinks.

Heh, our "Papist Prom" strictly prohibits drinks for under-18s. <_<

Two bottles of wine per table will never be enough.

Heh, our "Papist Prom" strictly prohibits drinks for under-18s. <_<

Two bottles of wine per table will never be enough.

Ours is the same, with regards to the Under 18s. I'm going to try and make it through the night by buying drinks for the folk who are still 17, and taking one for myself with their money.

Is yours away at a hotel, I take it?

Ours is the same, with regards to the Under 18s. I'm going to try and make it through the night by buying drinks for the folk who are still 17, and taking one for myself with their money.

Is yours away at a hotel, I take it?

Yep, the Glynhill in Renfrew will tomorrow most likely see scenes unprintable.

Strictly one drink per time for over 18s, I'm hoping that the double vodka trick will hurdle this as the thing doesn't end until 12.

I can't stay drunk on the wine for that long. :(

The school isn't even allowing people to stay at the hotel or others due to fears of debauched behaviour. :blink:

The school isn't even allowing people to stay at the hotel or others due to fears of debauched behaviour. :blink:

Can you blame them? Really? I mean, whatever goes wrong - and something will - the school's going to get the blame for it. Parents won't be saying "Christ, my kid's a little shit, but kids will be kids, so it was to be expected". It's just damage limitation.

It's your own fault for being that age. :P

Can you blame them? Really? I mean, whatever goes wrong - and something will - the school's going to get the blame for it. Parents won't be saying "Christ, my kid's a little shit, but kids will be kids, so it was to be expected". It's just damage limitation.

It's your own fault for being that age. :P

Yes I can. :P

Its more the school's obsession with attempting to yet further enhance its reputation as a holier-than-thou establishment bordering on a convent.

The practice was allowed for previous years. :(

:lol: My school has pretty much shed any responsibility. Everything that had to be signed, was signed by either the Head Boy or the Head Girl, anything that happens is down to them. Which isn't really fair on them, and neither of them have any sort of authority, so they're not likely to stop anything.

They've also managed to price us out of staying at the hotel, we're at Norton House in Edinburgh.

Yes I can. :P

Its more the school's obsession with attempting to yet further enhance its reputation as a holier-than-thou establishment bordering on a convent.

The practice was allowed for previous years. :(

I'm not saying that's not part of it, but seriously, think about what I said just now. Can you not see their point at all? If something awful happens, whose responsibility is it? Not yours, not your parents, but theirs. There'll be much fewer responsible adults than students there, and keeping an eye on you all would be bad enough. Chuck a load of alcohol in with you you'll be even harder to watch out for. When one of you ends up dead, 3 of the girls are pregnant and you all seem to have a dose of the clap, who exactly is going to be in the shit for it? It's for your own protection. :P

Petty Thing That Gets On MY nerves? I don't even sound like me anymore. :bairn

:lol: My school has pretty much shed any responsibility. Everything that had to be signed, was signed by either the Head Boy or the Head Girl, anything that happens is down to them. Which isn't really fair on them, and neither of them have any sort of authority, so they're not likely to stop anything.

They've also managed to price us out of staying at the hotel, we're at Norton House in Edinburgh.

Firstly, that's just wrong! What the hell are two students going to do if anything goes wrong? Secondly, it'd never stick anyway. Not only would the school end up in the shite for something happening, they'd also have to answer as to exactly why they thought leaving kids in charge was a good idea.

Edited by Lyn-Marie

I'm not saying that's not part of it, but seriously, think about what I said just now. Can you not see their point at all? If something awful happens, whose responsibility is it? Not yours, not your parents, but theirs. There'll be much fewer responsible adults than students there, and keeping an eye on you all would be bad enough. Chuck a load of alcohol in with you you'll be even harder to watch out for. When one of you ends up dead, 3 of the girls are pregnant and you all seem to have a dose of the clap, who exactly is going to be in the shit for it? It's for your own protection. :P

Petty Thing That Gets On MY nerves? I don't even sound like me anymore. :bairn

Firstly, that's just wrong! What the hell are two students going to do if anything goes wrong? Secondly, it'd never stick anyway. Not only would the school end up in the shite for something happening, they'd also have to answer as to exactly why they thought leaving kids in charge was a good idea.

Its a dreadful idea. And to be honest, if I was Head Boy I would've told them to shove it. If it was like some sort of Disney High School, where everyone was best friends and the Head Boy/Girl were adored, it'd probably work, but nobody's going to take much heed.

It should be a good night, and I hope it runs through without any criminal damage, but I'm just not too sure that's going to happen. I imagine there'll be CCTV to make sure anything that does happen, is paid for by the culprits though.

Its a dreadful idea. And to be honest, if I was Head Boy I would've told them to shove it. If it was like some sort of Disney High School, where everyone was best friends and the Head Boy/Girl were adored, it'd probably work, but nobody's going to take much heed.

It should be a good night, and I hope it runs through without any criminal damage, but I'm just not too sure that's going to happen. I imagine there'll be CCTV to make sure anything that does happen, is paid for by the culprits though.

I'm sure you're smart enough to behave, Dunc. I can already hear your parents saying "We trust you, Duncan, but it's the other kids we don't trust". :lol:

Word for word, that's what it'll be! :lol:

As well as, "Just make sure that if there's any trouble, you stay well away."

I used to get that all the time from my parents.

Probably explains why I say that to the other half on the very rare occasions I let him go to football. :lol: *

*that is not true. I neither say that, nor let him go to football.