N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Devils in cruise control in the 1st round v Flyers. Pity really, because I expected them to at least try and win.

8 power plays each in the last meeting. Says it all. Defence is awful and so easily forced into mistakes behind their net.

What do they look like again? I've forgotten, it's been ages since I last saw one.

292px-Shran2151.jpguser_70_t6wxa2pfhq1iz8.jpg

The first time I saw that Hudler picture in the NHL game I thought of the blue faced guy. Hey, just the way my mind works sometimes. I purposely refuse to sign him on from free agency because of it though. :lol:

Maybe the aliens you saw erased your memory? :o

They can do that you know. I asked them not to though, so I was fine.

:offtopic

292px-Shran2151.jpguser_70_t6wxa2pfhq1iz8.jpg

The first time I saw that Hudler picture in the NHL game I thought of the blue faced guy. Hey, just the way my mind works sometimes. I purposely refuse to sign him on from free agency because of it though. :lol:

Maybe the aliens you saw erased your memory? :o

They can do that you know. I asked them not to though, so I was fine.

:offtopic

Hah maybe you're right. Still, he's a big miss if you don't pick him up on NHL 10, especially if you're playing in one of the European leagues, with no salary cap...

Devils sign off in the 1st round for the 3rd year running. Dreadful stuff from a disjointed team due to the ridiculous amount of changes to the lines between & during games.

Flyers better in so many ways but it was ugly with a staggering amount of penalties for both sides in the 5 games. Flyers had 37 penalties against them (32 short-handed) and Devils wouldn't be far behind I suspect. No wonder Flyers players keep getting injured with all the powerplays to defend (which they did very well). Tough team. Just wish Carcillo was the guy getting crocked instead of the guys that did.

Kovalchuck was a luxury as far as I'm concerned and simply didn't fit in at Devils, however GM Lamoriello wants him to stay.

Devils suck

Enjoy your hockey. I'll enjoy some earlier nights now!

Sharks in "not bottling it" shocker. Who knows. They played some pretty good hockey the last couple of games.

Thought they were when they went from 1-0 up to 1-2 down at the start of the third but they then played well to run out 5-2 winners. Not going to get too excited yet but as you say have looked really good last couple of games so maybe actually going to hit form at the right time this year.

Edit: Red Wings in the next round is not good.

Edited by Jute

Sharks are chokers. Order of most likely to win goes like this

1. Capitals

2. Penguins

3. Blackhawks

4. Canucks

5. Sharks

Cue this coming back to bite me in the arse, but I think whoever wins the East will win it, more likely to be fresh come finals time.

:ph34r:

Very good news for the Pens, there's really nothing that should stop them in the East now.

So frustrating last night, Montreal played well and were difficult to break down, but I really think that the Penguins could have taken that one. They outshot the Habs by almost double, although most of them were unfortunately not from great positions, and Halak had a great game in goal. I can see this one going 7 games.

Thought they were when they went from 1-0 up to 1-2 down at the start of the third but they then played well to run out 5-2 winners. Not going to get too excited yet but as you say have looked really good last couple of games so maybe actually going to hit form at the right time this year.

Edit: Red Wings in the next round is not good.

Sharks 2-0 up in the series already. Maybe this could be their year. Oddly, Joe Pavelski has been quite sensational in the post-season, whilst he usually fluffs about on the third or fourth line.

Game 2 tonight, Canucks have to expect a backlash from the Hawks, but a win for the Canucks would make things very difficult for Chicago. I'd like a Canucks Sharks WCF as I have a bit of money on the Sharks, so I'd be in a win win situation.

A bit of a missed opportunity for Vancouver in game two but hopefully we can win games 3 and 4

Bang goes that hope. Dustin Byfuglien scored a hat trick, embarrassing. Simple fact is that the Blackhawks are a better team this year, if they hold on to the momentum and don't screw the series up I think it's in the bag. Be interesting to see what they do next year with their entry level contracted superstars getting a massive pay rise.

What does everyone think now then?

It's obviously looking very good for Chicago, San Jose and Boston, but still very close between Pittsburgh and Montreal.

I'm now going for a Pittsburgh vs Chicago final.