N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol, I never really watched ice hockey up until 4 years ago, when my fiance was studying for a year at UBC in vancouver, i went over twice within the year, first i bought tickets to see canucks v oilers then got addicted straight away and bought tickets for another 6 matches, never been so fascinated in a sport apart from football, its speed and unpredictability just took me, even the fiance was obsessed and she hates any sport. Thats why i love the Canucks, very passionate fans. Also met Henrik Sedin at the UBC Thunderbirds Ice Hockey title decider Match. :D

Pre-season started then. I even stayed up until 2.30am watching Devils despite them leaving out most of their top players. Need to get into the swing of late nights so starting early! Could've been worse, I packed it in after the 3rd period at 3-3! 4-3 SO loss to Flyers in the end.

Two fights for Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond. I suppose you need to practice everything!

ESPN emailed me to sign up early for the online streaming again. Did it early last year for £69.99. Probably do it again as you get all the games along with the archive. In saying that it's regular season only. Probably good enough for Devils the way they flop in the 1st round of the play-offs. :rolleyes:

Flames beat Canucks twice in one day I see. Is that normal? Not the beating them :P but the playing twice?

Pre-season started then. I even stayed up until 2.30am watching Devils despite them leaving out most of their top players. Need to get into the swing of late nights so starting early! Could've been worse, I packed it in after the 3rd period at 3-3! 4-3 SO loss to Flyers in the end.

Two fights for Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond. I suppose you need to practice everything!

ESPN emailed me to sign up early for the online streaming again. Did it early last year for £69.99. Probably do it again as you get all the games along with the archive. In saying that it's regular season only. Probably good enough for Devils the way they flop in the 1st round of the play-offs. :rolleyes:

Flames beat Canucks twice in one day I see. Is that normal? Not the beating them :P but the playing twice?

Lol, iv never heard of them playing twice in a day let alone the same team, it is pre season tho, mind you when i went over to Vancouver to three canucks games they were all in the space of 4 days, that was weird hell.

Edited by big_bairn_1876

You will probably find it would be two different experimental sides for the two games to see their full list get some ice time.

As for the Habs we havent had a great pre-season so far, even got booed off the ice by our own fans.

Spot on the money, bluenose.

Another win today over Tampa Bay, if only our pre season form continued into the season proper :P

• 2 weeks later...

Im moist with anticipation for tonights game

With all the football, NFL & Ryder cup on recently it had kinda sneaked up but all the preview shows, fantasy shows etc. has got me up for this one.

Hopefully catch the game from Helsinki in work today but the the habs in TO should be a nce quiet way to start the season.

GO LEAFS GO!! Now that I am living in Scotland I am missing the NHL more than ever. Pulling a late one tonight to stay up for the Leafs game. Predicting a convincing victory over those separatist SOB's.

As a side note I went to my first Elite League game Sunday to see Edinburgh and Coventry. Was a little underwhelmed, but in the end it proved to be a decent level of hockey. Game was entertaining, and really picked up pace in the third.

GO LEAFS GO!! Now that I am living in Scotland I am missing the NHL more than ever. Pulling a late one tonight to stay up for the Leafs game. Predicting a convincing victory over those separatist SOB's.

As a side note I went to my first Elite League game Sunday to see Edinburgh and Coventry. Was a little underwhelmed, but in the end it proved to be a decent level of hockey. Game was entertaining, and really picked up pace in the third.

You poor bugger leaving canada to come here lol, I dont think i could go without footie like you are without NHL Hockey but when i was in Vancouver for holidays 3 years ago, i went to a few Whitecaps matches and like you i was actually presently suprised about the level, they were really good sadly no atmosphere.

Edited by big_bairn_1876

I stayed up to watch this one. Great start by the Leafs to go up 2-0 in the first 8 or so minutes, very nice goal by Phil Kessel too. As soon as the Habs scored we lost that early jump. Clarke MacArthur 's goal early on in the 3rd for 3-1 was amazing, but less than a minute later it was 3-2. And what a save by J-S Giguere in the very last second, what a game he had!

It's time we make it into the playoffs again, hopefully this is the season...

I'm going to my first Elite League game on Saturday to watch Braehead take on Hull. Haven't been to the hockey in a few years, used to watch the Paisley Pirates but once they moved to Braehead I stopped going.

Watched about 20mins total of the Leafs opener as well as a bit and pieces of the European games - hoping to catch the majority of Habs @ Pens and Canucks opener v Kings.

Highlight so far has been Jordan Eberle's debut goal v Calgary on Thursday

Boy was immense in the world juniors and looks like carrying that on to the NHL

Watched about 20mins total of the Leafs opener as well as a bit and pieces of the European games - hoping to catch the majority of Habs @ Pens and Canucks opener v Kings.

Highlight so far has been Jordan Eberle's debut goal v Calgary on Thursday

Boy was immense in the world juniors and looks like carrying that on to the NHL

That's a very nice goal!

Another great result for the Leafs, 5-1 winners against Ottawa. I missed it up until 3-0 but the Leafs looked miles better than the year before, outshot Ottawa by a large margin and deserved the win. Three fights in the final period too, involving Coltton Orr smashing Matt Carkner for the third or fourth time in less than a year. Giguere would have had the shutout had it not been for a slice of bad luck when a likely icing call resulted in the puck bouncing over the Leafs stick, and the Sens setting up Spezza for a one timer with Jiggy at a standstill, having expected icing to be called.

2 wins from 2, superb stuff.

Has the season started yet? <_<:barf

That was a disgrace from Devils tonight. Horrendous defending so Marty rightly got pulled after 2 and Hedberg came on and instantly threw one in the net. Three fights in the closing minutes with only 2 seconds on the clock between each one. The last one was pathetic with Le Blond going for a rookie who wasn't even watching. He'll be getting a suspension I think as it was inside the last 5 minutes.

Big Volchenkov was bloodied after he took a puck in the face at 2-1 us or 2-2. Can't remember now. Defence was fragile enough but without him it was porous.

Penguins next in the battle of the losers.

Three fights in the final period too, involving Coltton Orr smashing Matt Carkner for the third or fourth time in less than a year.

Theres not many matches where Colton Orr isnt in a fight :lol:

As for the Habs well losing to the Leafs at the ACC wasn't exactly a great start to the season but at least we pushed them right to the very end. Good win away against the Pens though with Camallieri getting a brace, good to see him starting the season the way he ended last season in the playoffs. Very long season to go though.