N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Atlantic division is upside down! Some going by the Islanders. More so with key players injured. Reminds me of Devils start last season.

Speaking of which a 3-0 win in Montreal. Big improvement in all aspects of their game. Sticking by some youngsters which is good with another getting his first start. Taormina has 2 goals and 2 assists now and he's a defender.

Vancouver should get tossed out the league by the way. It's just not safe to watch them if their players are prone to wading into the crowd for a fight. Shocking. :P Must have been some taunt to get that reaction though. :lol:

I honestly dont know why Rypien reacted that way, all the kid did was clap at him as he was sent packing, then he attacked him, but even then he only grabbed him. Then they chucked the kid and his father out, which i think was outta order as player know to expect these reactions from fans and iv seen alot worse than that aswell.

Announced attendance in Phoenix last night was 6,706, but there were probably only 5 or 6 thousand people there. You could definitely hear it on TV, too. I have no idea why anyone wants to keep that team there.

A few teams seem to be struggling with crowds, judging by what i have seen when watching games.

Canucks starting to piece it together nicely after a stuttering start to the season. By now traditional D injuries to the previously ever-healthy Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis didn't help, neither did the absence of Alex Burrows. These guys returning coupled with a few new players starting to gel (Manny Malhotra and Raffi Torres have improved our 3rd line exponentially), should see us start to show why we were one of the preseason favourites.

Other news includes:

Already stinking Devils lose Zach Parise for 3 months, huge blow.

Tim Thomas' Save % is .984, GAA 0.5

Yeah, Devils keep rockin' along. Rock bottom. Thought Devils played well for the most part in the last two games but it's so easily undone with basic errors. Canucks were able to sit in and pick us off with quick well set up counters along with two huge errors. Always looked dangerous though despite what seemed like little possession. Our shots were pretty much hit and hope with just a few good ones. Canucks seemed to have too much time to wind up big slap shots from the blue line as soon as they got set up.

Some rookies in defence that are not on their toes at the back and have White, Green & Tallinder not helping them through too well. Kovalchuk isn't adding too much so far. Tries to be flash as much as possible and frankly he looks stupid with his poor decisions at key moments. More needed from him with Parise out the picture. Really need the more experienced injured guys back even if a couple of them were tagged by the fans as good options to get off the wage bill.

As with Clyde, I didn't envisage this pre-season.

Did anyone else see the bit during the intermission in the Thrashers game last night? They were asking the players which celebrity they would most like to meet, and Eric Boulton said that it would have to be Sarah Palin, seeing as he agreed with all her political views, and she was, and I quote, "pretty cute". What a complete and utter tosser.

Can't get a link at work but worth checking out Jonas Gustavsson's save in the Caps-Leafs game last night, stunning. Earned his team a point.

On first viewing I thought the shot went wide as most folk probably did at the time. Just enough of an edge to put it wide. Should've scored though!

Hoping Devils can follow up on their 5-3 win in Chicago with another visit to MSG already a home game with Rangers. Volchenkov back in defence after missing 12 games. Need that extra experience and strength but incredibly we lose White from defence with flu. No "Marty" chants for Rangers fans tonight either. He's out after going off injured in the win the other night. All the same, I still expect the home fans to chant his name. :rolleyes:

Probably asking too much to win this one.

Oh well, 0-3. Looked ok but not enough menace in front of the net. HL in goal was solid for them. Devils have now called up 9 players from Lowell with Steven Gionta starting tonight. Bound to be issues with getting a settled team.

Edited by RWB

Sharks are going nowhere. For some reason they've decided to go back to the rotating netminder tactic, with Antti Niemi, in a surprise career move, making every other start with the the other bloke. They aren't even as strong as last year. Payroll issues.

Yup I know that there is a 1% chance but I'm a sucker for the Canadian teams, Leafs started so strong as well. Not sure about the other hockey fans on here but I for one can't stand Crosby or the pens, so it delights me to see them pumped once again at home, 7-4 this time by the Bruins.

Predictions for tonights feat of matches:

MTL @ BOS

BUF @ NYR

TBL @ WAS

PHI @ CAR

MIN @ ALT

EDM @ DET

VAN @ OTT

NSH @ STL

DAL @ LAK

NYI @ SJS

Too right. But then as a Flyers fan its to be expected

Been fed up with Kovalchuk and last night was no exception. He offers nothing other than his flashy stick work before losing the puck. He's hopeless just now. His shoot-out attempt v Sabres last night is bound to become famous. On the NHL front-page. Needs time off if this is all he has just now.

Good past 2 games for the Habs :) Our win over Vancouver at the Bell Centre was a very close game but we did well on the penalty kill which plenty of teams struggle against the Canucks at and we have struggled in general at so far this season so was a welcome change. Was really good to see us beat bitter rivals Boston today 3-1 especially in Boston. Helps us too that division rivals Ottawa and Buffalo both recorded defeats today. Im with you SuperAlly that I cant stand the Pens either and like to see them get beat.

Good past 2 games for the Habs :) Our win over Vancouver at the Bell Centre was a very close game but we did well on the penalty kill which plenty of teams struggle against the Canucks at and we have struggled in general at so far this season so was a welcome change. Was really good to see us beat bitter rivals Boston today 3-1 especially in Boston. Helps us too that division rivals Ottawa and Buffalo both recorded defeats today. Im with you SuperAlly that I cant stand the Pens either and like to see them get beat.

Got to love how everyone follows suit with the North American dislike of Crosby and the Penguins. Why? Because they've got a really good team? I'm not a Penguins fan but I've got no problem with them, certainly prefer the Pens to the Flyers in any case.