The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Jon Howe's Leeds live article:-

Of the seven stages of play-off defeat recovery I am currently hovering somewhere between two and three, past the arbitrary yelping of obscenities in empty rooms, but nowhere near being able to objectively dissect what the hell happened last Wednesday night. This is still very much an emergency situation of blunt emotions and sticking plasters.

Every Leeds United fan has been branded with the unshakeable hangdog appearance of someone who has been sucked in and spat out twice in less than a month. Navigating everyday life is an attritional introduction to the meagre joys of a nuclear winter. This is the worst hangover ever, with cognitive processes encumbered by the dense application of cotton wool to the brain.

Even a cup of tea doesn’t taste nice, and for that, someone should have to pay. We want to be mad at Leeds United. On the list of heinous crimes they have committed in our lifetime this is not merely an irritable misdemeanour. This is not leaving the jam knife in the butter, this is buying us a ticket to the adventure of a lifetime and putting it through the 90C wash. Twice. This is a self-inflicted misery that would be laughable were it not so unyielding and unescapable. Leeds United really are relentless. They never relent.

Then the problem comes in being eternally conflicted. Of course we also want to cuddle them. And there is the critical factor of separating the here and now from the long ball game we’re all helplessly embroiled in. While this season has brought countless moments of unprecedented joy, satisfaction and kinship, what was once paracetamol for the soul is all now reduced to the status of meaningless footnotes to another abject failure. The supporting narrative, the gulps of air we caught amid preposterous drama and the left of leftfield plot twists are what could have made up the best end-of-season DVD review ever. Instead we are left adrift and unfulfilled and raging at persons unknown that, if all this didn’t constitute a promotion season, I don’t know what on earth one of those looks like.

The answer comes in looking at things in the round, rather than dwelling on the individual moments. Ruminating the apportionment of blame for Derby County’s first goal or the second half v Wigan Athletic is a fast-track queue jump to an existence of acute paranoia, cyclical anguish and daubing your bedroom walls in a dirty protest. Looking at things on the whole is the only way to safely navigate that transitional step from where we were 12 months ago to where we are now.

Yes, right now, the thought of another attempt at promotion feels as palatable and utterly depressing as a documentary on what Neil Warnock thinks Brexit actually is. It feels too gargantuan a task, like your laptop has crashed four-fifths of the way through an online job application, and the enormity of starting again from scratch is something you simply can’t fathom. Why would we willingly go through this again?

In fundamental terms, as football fans we have no choice, but also, there’s some comfort to be found in the general health of our club and certainly from the apparent willingness of Marcelo Bielsa to have another go.

People find comfort in different things of course, but my football club in the hands of Marcelo Bielsa gives me an almost child-like warmth and security. Quite apart from the fact Bielsa’s football has offered me the chance to enjoy the primal rudiments of the game as if I was falling in love with it for the first time, his considerate and compassionate managing of every aspect of the footballing side brings a blanket of serenity, reassurance and refuge.

As a child I would be allowed to stay up late on a Saturday night to watch Match of the Day and within five minutes of its end I would be tucked up in the safe, snugness of my bed as the Parkinson theme tune played from the TV downstairs. I can hear that music now and still feel the same drifting sense of calm. I had everything in life I ever needed. And having Bielsa evokes feelings like that now. Whatever life throws at you, everything’s going to be OK.

It would be wrong to suggest Leeds United have the perfect platform from which to address next season. There are fundamental flaws that have contributed to why this season has ultimately failed. Recruitment has to be better and some tough decisions have to be made, but it is a long time since we have faced up to the interminable void of the close season with some confidence we might vaguely recognise what we are presented with at the end of it.

Bielsa will bring some continuity where we have perpetually reached out for the reset button, even if there are key positions that have to be strengthened. This season might feel wasted in the sober light of day, but there has been a sea change in culture and outlook that feels more profound simply because it is Leeds United. To have an ambition beyond merely a positive goal difference is a novel concept in LS11, but that is what we have now, tangible progress from one season to the next and no earthly reason why that shouldn’t continue.

Football works in cycles and every dog has its day. True, we have been bypassed by breeds of dog we didn’t even know existed, but when was the last time Leeds United made a credible and sustained attempt to join them? Our problem is one of fulfilment, delivering the goods and creating a culture of success. For that you need the sea change to also result in a different quality of recruitment.

The 2018/19 play-offs have reinforced the notion Leeds United are the eternal bridesmaids. We might catch the bouquet, but we think it’s just a consolation prize, not the golden ticket to ensuring next time it is our day in the sun, but there is an inkling, for once, there is a plan at Leeds United, we can take what nearly worked and actually make it work.

So it is okay to be mad and frustrated and consumed by anguish, but think about where we have been during the last 15 years, think about how we allowed ourselves to be hoodwinked into fanciful aspirations, think about how mediocrity was sold to us as acceptable for Leeds United. Think about how this is not the end for once. It is not wholesale change, new regimes and a new culture across the board. It is the end of the beginning. This is just the start. So think about that and be thankful we made it through.

Andrea Radrizzani has hinted that Leeds United won’t be able to spend a lot over the upcoming summer transfer window, and will have to lean on their academy again.

During the season’s near miss, Marcelo Bielsa handed senior debuts to more than ten players under the age of 21, including the likes of Jack Clarke, Jamie Shackleton and Tyler Roberts.

The Italian has praised the academy for the quality of the players it produces, as graduates Kalvin Phillips and Bailey Peacock-Farrell went on to play a significant, regular role in the first team.

Speaking at the Financial Times Business of Football summit in London, the Leeds United chairman sensationally stoked up his war of words with Derby chairman Mel Morris , but also spoke briefly about next season following the play-off heartbreak.

“We will have to run a difficult summer in terms of transfer market but we have a great academy,” said Radrizzani.

There has been already been plenty of speculation about the summer transfer window and the players that Leeds might be able to target, but high earners and established players such as Dwight Gayle are extremely unlikely to make the move to West Yorkshire.

Clarke received rave reviews for his explosive impact midway through the season, while Shackleton impressed during the ill-fated play-off semi-finals.

Supporters will be hopeful the pair of teenagers can play more of a role next season, but there are plenty more highly-rated names from Carlos Corberan’s league-winning Under-23s.

Striker Ryan Edmondson, only just 18, scored 19 goals, while Leif Davis and Mateusz Bogusz may yet make the step-up after featuring on the bench for Bielsa’s side.

Senior Leeds debuts given to players aged 21 or under by Marcelo Bielsa:

Jack Harrison
Jamie Shackleton
Will Huffer
Tyler Roberts
Aapo Halme
Jack Clarke
Leif Davis
Kun Temenuzhkov
Clarke Oduor
Jordan Stevens

Huge belief in youth. Averaging an U21 debut every 3.1 matches

Leeds United are delighted to confirm that Chairman Andrea Radrizzani has officially exercised the option to extend Marcelo Bielsa’s contract for a second season.

Marcelo has met with the Board of Directors on a number of occasions over the past few days and has confirmed his intention to continue on in his role of Head Coach.

Bielsa penned a two-year deal with the Whites in June 2018 with the club maintaining the right to extend or terminate the deal at the end of year one.

During Marcelo's debut season in English football, the team amassed a total of 83 points - the highest points total since promotion from League One during the 2009/10 season, playing an attractive brand of football which has helped Bielsa to become a popular figure amongst supporters.

Vamos Leeds Carajo.

Delighted Andrea Radrizzani has issued a rallying call to staff, players and fans for next season’s promotion push with Marcelo Bielsa at the helm.

The Whites have announced the Argentine has signed a one-year extension to his Elland Road deal with unfinished business in the Championship ahead.

In a statement following the announcement, Radrizzani thanked everyone involved with the club for their role in 2018/19, which saw the club finish third.

The Italian chief, who was linked with Qatar Sports Investments on Saturday night, also called on players, staff and fans to give more once again with the Premier League goal so close.

“As the dust settles on the campaign that has passed, I can reflect and say it was a good season and I’d like to thank all fans, staff and all friends related to Leeds United for their continued support,” he said.

“We were close and next season we will work harder to achieve our goal.

“The players have made me proud every week and the staff at Thorp Arch and Elland Road have gone above and beyond day after day to ensure we are a well run football club at the heart of the community.

“A special mention also for the academy and for their achievements over the past two years, the quality of the home-grown talent we have seen this year is outstanding.

“Finally, the support from our fans has been the best in the country once again.

“So, let’s have another go. I am delighted Marcelo has agreed to stay for another year. We have unfinished business.

“Enjoy your summer and next year once again we all need to give more, the players, the staff and all of the fans because our goal is close.”

Hopefully given the opportunity to improve the squad. I'd be looking for another Number 10 as Saiz wasn't properly replaced.

Not sure about Harrison but Bielsa clearly likes him on the left.

Another centre back as well as Cooper/Jansson and Berardi although usually decent all have a rashness about them.

Not sure what the situation is with the keeper?

• 4 weeks later...
Allan Clarke can still recall vividly meeting Johnny Haynes for the first time.

Still four months short of his 20th birthday, Clarke had left the family home in Short Heath to start a new life in London, after being signed by Fulham for £37,500 from Walsall.

“I remember my first day, a Friday,” he says. “I walked out in the corner of the ground and there he was.

“When I was growing up England matches were on Wednesday afternoons and I used to pretend to be unwell so I could stay at home and watch.

“Johnny Haynes was a regular in the team. Now here I am playing with him.

“He called over to me and said: ‘Clarke, I’m going to take three corner kicks, you tell me which part of the goal you want me to hit’.

“I think ‘go on then’ and the first one I say: ‘Near post.’

“He takes a few steps back, runs up, bit of curl on it and BANG,” says Clarke, clapping his hands together as he says the final word of the sentence for added effect.

“That’s impressive. Second one, I say ‘crossbar’ and BANG. Two out of two.

“Now it’s the last one and I say ‘near post again’. BANG. Incredible. Just incredible. What a player.”

The memory is among thousands which remain rooted in the mind of a man fascinated by footballers from an early age and who never wanted to be anything else.

“I’m the little boy whose dream came true,” adds Clarke, whose illustrious career saw him become a key component of one of English football’s most famous teams at Leeds United.

Now aged 72, it is fair to say the admiration he holds for his contemporaries is not reserved for many stars of the modern game.

“I find a lot of football nowadays quite boring, I think the money has ruined it,” he says. “In my day it was a more level playing field. Look at Manchester City. They are the best team because they have spent the most money.

“But I’ll tell you this, for all those millions they have had to pay to get those players at Man City, plus all those millions they have to pay them, that great Leeds side I was part of would bury them alive. We were better players.”

He explains: “It’s all about touch and control. In our day, we stopped the ball dead. Our team at Leeds was a league team but we were all internationals.”

Clarke will always be most closely associated with Leeds, the club where he scored 151 goals and won the league, FA Cup and Fairs Cup.

But he is very much a product of the Black Country and remains proud of his roots. After all, it was here his talent was first nurtured, on the council pitches of New Invention.

One of five brothers to play professionally, Clarke was an Albion fan growing up in the 1950s, yet it was actually Molineux where he spent most of his Saturday afternoons.

“It was three bus rides to The Hawthorns from where we lived. But just one to Wolverhampton,” he explains. “To be fair, Wolves were the best team of the decade. I watched some great players.

“Bert Williams, Billy Wright, Jimmy Mullen, Peter Broadbent, little Johnny Hancocks – I reckon he had a shot as hard as Peter Lorimer.

“I used to go behind the goal, in the North Bank and I would watch the strikers for both teams. Then I would catch the bus back home to Short Heath and would be straight out on the council football pitch, practicing what I had seen. My mom could watch us from the kitchen window. We lived and breathed on there.”

Those familiar with the image of Clarke as the tall, slender striker might be surprised to learn that for much of his childhood he was among the shortest in his class.

“When I left school at 15 I was four foot five,” he says. “I’d play for South Staffs boys, bang in three or four goals and the newspaper reports would refer to me as Tiny Clarke.

“I remember my dad telling me that when I left school, I would start growing. And I did.

“When I was a trainee at Walsall I would go to bed at 8pm every night. When you are growing that quickly it saps your strength. By the time I was 19, I was six foot.”

Growing pains didn’t denigrate Clarke’s eye for goal. He scored 23 times in his first full season after breaking into the Saddlers first-team and had 14 before Fulham made their move in March, 1966.

“I would have loved Wolves, West Brom or Villa to come in for me. But it didn’t happen,” he says. “Fulham was good for me but the club was not ambitious enough.

“It wasn’t about money. I wanted to win a trophy. The directors there were quite happy just to stay in the First Division. Well, that wasn’t good enough for me. I wanted to go and win things.”

Clarke would eventually make it to Leeds via one season at Leicester.

Things could have turned out very differently, however, had he accepted an offer to join Manchester United when they came calling in 1968, offering Fulham a then British record £150,000.

So keen was Matt Busby to acquire Clarke’s services, he and assistant Jimmy Murphy travelled to London to meet with him.

“I was told to go up to King’s Cross. I can see them getting off the train now,” he recalls. “They pointed to a taxi, so we got in they told the driver to just go around London. So that’s what we did. With them telling me about Manchester United.”

Clarke, however, turned them down, instead choosing to join Leicester after being struck by the personality of their manager, Matt Gillies.

But Gillies resigned just six months later and in the summer of 1969, after Clarke had been voted man-of-the-match despite the Foxes losing the FA Cup final to Manchester City, Leeds boss Don Revie came calling.

“He came to my house and it was obvious he’d done his homework,” says Clarke. “Leicester were paying me £100-a-week and he asked me how much it would take to get me to Leeds.

“God’s honest truth, I asked for £10-a-week more and he wouldn’t give it to me. He said all his players were on the same wage. Who was I to disbelieve him?

“I signed a two-year deal at Leeds for the same money. Do you think any players would do that today?

“But I wanted to play for Leeds and the rest is history. It was only when I got there I realised I had been told a bare faced lie. There were players on more.

“But I didn’t go knocking on his door. I thought right, I’ll show you how good I am.

“The first season I scored 26 goals. The next I got 27. Then I asked for a big rise and got it. By then I’d earned it.”

You don’t really need to listen to Clarke’s words to sense the fearsome pride for what was achieved at Leeds, merely the tone of his voice.

Revie is never mentioned by name, always “the gaffer”.

“That’s the respect I have for the man,” says Clarke, who adds: “Every morning I wake up, I think of Billy Bremner.”

Leeds a powerhouse, though they suffered their fair share of heartbreak, finishing league runners-up in each of Clarke’s first three seasons.

There was also defeat to Bayern Munich in the 1975 European Cup final and two Wembley defeats in the FA Cup.

“If you wanted to win anything, you had to get past us,” he says. “Yes, we should have won more. But back then it was a more level playing field.”

There is a pause and a sigh, before he continues: “It was special. The fans were phenomenal. Unbelievable.

“I don’t want to sound big-headed but when you look at it now, Leeds is one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

“The gaffer, with the help of us players, put that club there. In many respects it was easy, playing with those players.”

Clarke, who was also capped 19 times by England and played in the 1970 World Cup, is not afraid to talk about his own talents.

“Your great strikers, I put myself in that category,” he says. “I was born with that gift. No manager can teach a player how to score goals. You can teach a lad how to defend. You cannot teach them how to score, that instinct. I had the gift. So did Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law.”

Clarke believes no club would have been able to afford the combined wages of Revie’s Leeds team, had they played in the modern era.

“I’m not envious of the money the players get now,” he said. “People say: ‘By Christ Alan, if you played today you would be a multi-millionaire. But I played in the best era, with and against great players. It was never about money for me.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MB's 1st press conference of the season:-

Easy decision to stay? Unfinished business?

It’s very exciting.

Squad strong? Better positioned for promotion?

I have a lot of confidence with the squad that we have at the moment.

Confident of solving problems in front of goal this season?

That was a problem and we have to show that we can resolve it.

On Kemar Roofe - resigned to losing him? What can you tell us?

I can’t tell you anything because I’m not sure what will happen at the moment.

On BPF - did you try and convince him to stay?

If he thinks it’s not good for him to stay here or if he thinks there is a place that is better I have to convince him.

Our job is to try and give them all of the things that are good for them. I choose 18 players. We are creating a place where the players like to stay here and if a player chooses another place and the club decides at the same time it’s convenient for him to leave.

Nothing is more important that how you want to stay at one side. If you lose this feeling, it’s impossible to recover this feeling. It’s impossible to try and convince him if he doesn’t want to stay.

Where do you feel strong this season compared to last year?

All the things that the players did before is the feeling that Marcelo has with the team.

Do you want any more players?

If there are players that improve the squad that we have now, then yes.

Injuries

We’re missing Ayling, Roberts, Roofe.

Ayling had an operation on his ankle and Tyler is in a process that will finally be an operation.

Shackleton?

He’s ready.

How crucial was Kalvin Phillips staying in your decision to stay at the club?

When you say Leeds United, you are talking a big thing.

When you are talking about Marching on Together it’s a sentence that is very clear and connects everyone. When you belong.

In a sentence like this, there are a lot in the rest of the world. There are a lot of clubs better than Leeds United and all the rest of the teams that could be better don’t have this feeling that united everyone and this passion about the club.

<Pressed again on Kalvin>

Kalvin was an example for everyone. In a context that is very professional with a lot of the speculation which is not good and sometimes I repeat this type of behaviours. Kalvin is showing us that you can be a big player, a good player and at the same time respect the values that is very difficult to find. I deserve all the good things because he teaches us how you can live professional life in football without forgetting about yourself, but keeping the behaviour in the right way.

I can understand that the future will give him the things that he deserves, He deserves all of the good things. I know perfectly the risk I am taking because it is possible that I have to decide in one match he has to go on the bench, but I cannot say this.

But many people can understand those who tolerate the frustration. For me Kalvin is an example. There is a sentence that says if you think in money you will never be a professional player. If you are thinking to be a professional player, the money will come for you. I deserve the last part of the sentence will be for Kalvin.

More on Kalvin

One thing to add to Kalvin.

I am proud if he stays here, I chose him in the 18 players that are included in the squad, but I can’t decide if that is here or if he has to leave. I want to tell you this because Kalvin is in the squad for the 18 players that I choose before. But I have a maturity to decide if he has to leave or he has to say. I can’t share my idea about how I decide.

On the young players

Last season it was Clarke and Shackleton. They are more close to being part of our team and I hope at the end of the season there will be two players more to have the same role that Clarke and Shackleton have now.

What has a year in the Champ taught you?

It’s a league that is very honest. It’s very competitive because everyone has the same chance. There are matches that are very difficult.

Another thing that is very clear, all the players give 100 per cent.

Do you have enough cover at centre-back?

Jansson left, everyone knows. Jansson was the best player last season.

You know that the club needs to sell players to adapt to FFP and be healthy and the league is equal.

We have to players, Kalvin and Ayling who can play centre-back. Berardi and Cooper too. White can develop in this scenario.

If Ayling plays like a centre-back you have Dallas and Shackleton to cover and Forshaw can be a defensive midfielder to cover for Kalvin.

So we lose the best player of last season but we are adapting to the rules and that is very important.

I’m very optimistic about how to solve the problem.

Harrison - how can he kick on this season? Why did you want him back?

For me last season was a season to grow and this is the season he has to show this experience.

Obviously these last two months he’s done a very good job, so the expectations he create is for him to compete in matches.

How hard is it for players to repeat last season's performance?

I can’t tell you an answer that is very solid. But for us we know that for each position there are few players. It’s not like there’s 33 players. We have 18 players that could give us the answer to play in three position. Ayling, Dallas, Shack and then Harrison, Clarke, Costa, these type of examples. There are alternatives and competition.

Dallas, Douglas, Alioski, they know their positions. As do the playmakers, for example.

So we make our target is that all the players can play in three positions.

Orta makes a lot of efforts and a very good job working together with Angus and the owner. The club got rid of 25 players. Built a structure to solve the problem of FFP and at the same time create a team with all of the options to compete. Obviously all of these things are possibilities. One of our needs is we have to be a small squad.

But if you miss the injured players Ayling, Roberts and Roofe, that is unpredictable and we hope it doesn’t happen again.

We also have a younger group that are better because they are working one year with us and all of the players that we miss, they will be able to do this.

Will individual players be able to hit this level?

This is the thing that I can’t tell you. It’s very difficult for one player to reach the same level as last season. The solution that we imagine is that we distribute the minutes for more players so we have more options for the same players. You are in the same time 100% to keep this place. So if you get this, finally the player can be at 100% giving all the things that he can do.

Last season we played the same players so there are more places to occupy. But at the same time we are at the top of the table, with the stumulation enough for the other team. Hopefully we will be in positions that will create enough power for the team.

It’s important that players fell they have players who can complete for the same place.

Is there a collective desire here that pleases Bielsa? Will it help Leeds win promotion?

Our hope, our illusion is very clear. But if you are talking about the things that didn’t happen last season with too much enthusiasm, you will feel a bad feeling. When you are negative it is not good too. So we will have to go and find the point in the middle. Not too positive, not too negative. A value on what is happening in the process.

The answer that you told him last season, we can imagine this future that we are talking about after 30 matches last season, about promotion. So you have to know that you pass the first 15 or 30 matches for what you deserve.

What did Bielsa learn from the varying sportsmanship last season?

Spygate was an action that everyone can interpret. Really I took note of my mistake. If you talk about the match at Aston Villa, there are different opinions.

With a path that I think that was the right one. Whether it is good or bad depends on whoever is looking.

• 2 months later...

Leeds United at 100: Revie team awarded freedom of Leeds

To mark the club's 100th birthday, the Leeds United team of 1967-74 has been awarded the freedom of the

Under the management of legendary boss Don Revie (pictured), Leeds United won two First Division titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup between 1967 and 1974.

It is the most successful period in the club's historyimage.gif.13ab6e12be36c86e5bb2aca3ed64c0db.gif

The Leeds United team of that era included Eddie Gray, Peter Lorimer and England World Cup winner Jack Charlton.

They are first ever group to receive the freedom of Leeds from Leeds City Council.

image.gif.2b3149f41e89ee820210c4fb9f9ba644.gif
Edited by WALMOT