The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

5 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

All set up for a great laugh when Leeds inevitably f**k up

Yup, several thousand knuckle draggers punching each other is always a sight to behold.:)

Now then Bradley, I see tha's been ballin' tha cusin. Aye, but Amos, tha' lass be also ma mutha.

December 29 2016, 12:01am, The Times

The old refrain of Marching on Together is echoing a little louder around Elland Road these days. Unity is not a word much associated with Leeds United in recent times, but something appears to be stirring. Try as he may, the serene Garry Monk — who has engineered Leeds’ best points tally from an opening 23 games of a Championship campaign — can no longer mask it.
Leeds travel to Villa Park this evening — a clash between Championship titans — fifth in the table, after a run of eight wins from their past ten games. Monk’s work on the training ground is undoubtedly paying dividends after a chastening start to the campaign, when they lost four of their opening six games. That now seems a distant memory; his youthful, energetic side look as though they are thoroughly enjoying life at a club whose history has weighed heavy for so long. Monk’s message to supporters, daring to dream of a return to the Premier League, is clear.
Monk has cultivated a togetherness in the Leeds team that has not been seen in quite some timeEd Sykes/Reuters
“The fans should just enjoy it; I think everyone should enjoy it,” he says. “This club’s suffered for quite a while now. I believed it as a player, I believe it as a manager, I think the fans believe it as well: all they want to see is a team that gives 100 per cent.
“Of course they want to see a team that wins games, in style, and that’s what we fight for, but I think they just want to see a team that fights for that shirt. They’ve got a group who are doing that, they should just enjoy it.”
In truth, more than a few eyebrows were raised when Monk arrived at Leeds in June, the seventh manager since the controversial Italian Massimo Cellino took control of the club in 2014. There remains a large degree of uncertainty surrounding Cellino, whose 18-month suspension from all football-related activities for breaking agent regulations is set to take effect from February 1. He intends to appeal against the FA disciplinary panel’s decision and it remains unclear whether the proposed sale of a 50 per cent stake in the club, to fellow Italian businessman Andrea Radrizzani, will be affected.
What is clear is that for the first time in Cellino’s two-and-a-half-year tenure, he has let his manager do the job that he is employed to do without interference. Eleven players arrived during the summer, for a net spend of a little over £1 million, after the sale of Lewis Cook to Bournemouth for £6 million.
Striker Kemar Roofe was the highest-profile arrival from Oxford United, for a fee of £3 million and, although his header in the 4-1 defeat of Preston North End on Boxing Day was just his second goal of the season, the belief is that improving performances signal a more fruitful second half to the campaign.
Jansson could make his loan move from Torino permanent if he plays twice moreBarrington Coombs/PA
Intelligent forays into the loan market added players such as Kyle Bartley and Pablo Hernández, with whom Monk worked at Swansea, to a squad with an average age of just over 25. In addition, academy products such as Kalvin Phillips, a dynamic 21-year-old midfielder, and 18-year-old Ronaldo Vieira have made impressive breakthroughs this season.
However, in Pontus Jansson, whose loan from Torino could be made permanent after two more appearances, when he has reached 20 for the season, the Leeds faithful have found a new cult hero.
His impassioned post-match celebrations have become a familiar sight and there usually follows a song about the 6ft 5in Swedish centre half’s willingness to head a brick if it were thrown in his direction.
“He’s got the old Leeds spirit: the old Don Revie, Billy Bremner, ‘keep fighting’,” says Dave Carrington, chairman of the Leeds United Supporters Trust. “He gets that, he gets stuck in and we’ve lacked that in a defender for a while. Partnered up with Bartley, it’s a formidable defence.
Will chairman stand by his man?

Leeds United managers since Massimo Cellino became owner in February 2014 and their days in charge at Elland Road under his reign:
52 Brian McDermott
70 David Hockaday
32 Darko Milanic
200 Neil Redfearn
152 Uwe Rösler
226 Steve Evans
210 Garry Monk
“Monk’s worked wonders, to get them all to gel and play as a unit. The identity is ‘one and all’, which we used to have back in the day at Leeds. The atmosphere around the ground is fabulous. I go in the Bremner suite in the West Stand and for years now it’s been dead in there; it’s been quiet, it’s been stuffy. Now we’re not only going to watch really good football, it’s a good atmosphere.”
Eddie Gray, who played more than 450 games for Leeds during the golden period for the club in the Sixties and Seventies, agrees that Monk has cultivated a togetherness that has not been seen in quite some time.
“Garry’s very calm, he’s methodical in what he does, and he knows how he wants the game to be played,” Gray says.
“The crowd are buying into that, they’re right behind the team. It’s not been like that for quite a while. The fans have
been a bit disillusioned, but I think they see the direction that Garry’s pushing them in.”
Monk feels that there is more to come, however. “This group is still a long way from its capabilities, I feel; we’re making great strides, they’re improving all the time,” he says.
“Our travelling fans are going to go there [Villa Park] again, in full voice, in support, and we go there together as always; to fight for each other . . .
“We’re going to fight to put this club back to where we feel it belongs. It’s always been the ambition of this club to get back to the Premier League.”

A point away at Villa isnt bad, but to come away disappointed to get a draw shows how far this team has come.

Garry Monk is still the man, Leeds are going up.

Villa park was bouncing last night and you could tell after Villa not taking their chances in the first half Leeds were going to come out at some point, they were fantastic in the second half. A draw was a fair result over the piece I'd say. I was sat right in line with the linesman who gave the penalty, I've not seen any replays of it but a few that were around me were getting on at Gestede for pushing Cooper, in the end the obviously got the Penalty. Leeds need to sign Janson, Hernandez and Bartley up or permanent deals as they have played a massive part in changing the fortunes of the club.