Stewart Rennie

Swarley

I work with a lad called Stewart (or maybe Stuart) Rennie. He played in goal for Motherwell and Falkirk during the early 1970's. Would it be possible to provide some career stats and any interesting info that I could embarrass him with?

Cheers

I work with a lad called Stewart (or maybe Stuart) Rennie. He played in goal for Motherwell and Falkirk during the early 1970's. Would it be possible to provide some career stats and any interesting info that I could embarrass him with?

Cheers

Stuart RENNIE

Born: 24th April 1947, Edinburgh

Ht: 6-01

Wt: 11-08

Position: Goalkeeper

1966-67: Royston B.C.

1967-68: Falkirk (-)

1968-69: Falkirk (25)

1969-70: Falkirk (31) (11)

1970-71: Falkirk (29) (8)

1971-72: Falkirk (18) (9)

1972-73: Falkirk (1) (1)

1973-74: Falkirk (-)

1973-74: Motherwell (27) (4)

1974-75: Motherwell (25) (12)

1975-76: Motherwell (36) (12)

1976-77: Motherwell (26) (5)

1977-78: Motherwell (32) (2)

1978-79: Motherwell (28) (1)

1979-80: Ayr United (39) (6)

1980-81: Ayr United (39) (11)

1981-82: Ayr United (29) (7)

1982-83: Ayr United (18) (5)

1983-84: Spartans

The only interesting info I have is that he was a team mate of both Andy Roxburgh and Alex Ferguson at Falkirk and all three helped them win promotion back to the top division. Roxburgh got 17 goals, Fergie 15.

Stuart RENNIE

Born: 24th April 1947, Edinburgh

Ht: 6-01

Wt: 11-08

Position: Goalkeeper

1966-67: Royston B.C.

1967-68: Falkirk (-)

1968-69: Falkirk (25)

1969-70: Falkirk (31) (11)

1970-71: Falkirk (29) (8)

1971-72: Falkirk (18) (9)

1972-73: Falkirk (1) (1)

1973-74: Falkirk (-)

1973-74: Motherwell (27) (4)

1974-75: Motherwell (25) (12)

1975-76: Motherwell (36) (12)

1976-77: Motherwell (26) (5)

1977-78: Motherwell (32) (2)

1978-79: Motherwell (28) (1)

1979-80: Ayr United (39) (6)

1980-81: Ayr United (39) (11)

1981-82: Ayr United (29) (7)

1982-83: Ayr United (18) (5)

1983-84: Spartans

The only interesting info I have is that he was a team mate of both Andy Roxburgh and Alex Ferguson at Falkirk and all three helped them win promotion back to the top division. Roxburgh got 17 goals, Fergie 15.

Many thanks :thumsup2

Grew a beard to cover a facial injury, does he still have one? Beard...not facial injury.

Played in two Cup semis for Motherwell. In the first he took more than four steps while carrying the ball and was penalised, bloody Rollo Kyle was the ref and applied this seldom if ever used rule and Airdrie scored the winner from the indirect free kick.

Next season he allegedly tripped up Derek Johnstone although there was little if any contact and the offence took place miles outside the box. Not according to JPR Gordon who gave Rangers a penalty that got them back into, and eventually winning, the game. Didn't give Well a more blatant pen though. Bitter? Not me, I took great joy when both refs were done in Europe for accepting bribes.

Grew a beard to cover a facial injury, does he still have one? Beard...not facial injury.

Played in two Cup semis for Motherwell. In the first he took more than four steps while carrying the ball and was penalised, bloody Rollo Kyle was the ref and applied this seldom if ever used rule and Airdrie scored the winner from the indirect free kick.

Next season he allegedly tripped up Derek Johnstone although there was little if any contact and the offence took place miles outside the box. Not according to JPR Gordon who gave Rangers a penalty that got them back into, and eventually winning, the game. Didn't give Well a more blatant pen though. Bitter? Not me, I took great joy when both refs were done in Europe for accepting bribes.

No, he doesn't have a beard anymore! He was, though, disappointed at the lack of interesting info on record. He says that he was the first goalie to keep a clean sheet against the Lisbon Lions!

For clarification, what do the figures in brackets mean? Usually I would have thought they meant either goals scored or sub appearances but they can't be in this case. Clean sheets maybe ?

No, he doesn't have a beard anymore! He was, though, disappointed at the lack of interesting info on record. He says that he was the first goalie to keep a clean sheet against the Lisbon Lions!

For clarification, what do the figures in brackets mean? Usually I would have thought they meant either goals scored or sub appearances but they can't be in this case. Clean sheets maybe ?

First set of brackets are league appearances, second set are cup appearances. The pinned thread on the main 'infowire' page is sort of key.

He says that he was the first goalie to keep a clean sheet against the Lisbon Lions!

Not if he didn't play them till 1968 he wasn't, unless he played a pre-season friendly.

Sep 67 Rangers 1-0 Celtic

Jan 68 Celtic 0-2 Dunfermline (cup)

next season

Dec 68 Falkirk 0-0 Celtic (this'll be the one he's claiming I presume, if he played)

Thanks lads, here is a reply from Stuart

A very true assessment by your Motherwell fan especially the first one as I do recall being the only goalkeeper that year or ever being penalised for the old 4 step rule. As to the second one it was inside the box but there was definitely no contact and the referee gave his decision whilst standing on the half way line. Also after several years Derek Johnstone eventually conceded on TV that he may have dived or to put it another way made the best out of the situation.

Guest shiredownunder

"Would it be possible to provide some career stats and any interesting info that I could embarrass him with?"

You could remind him of the time he conceded a goal to the opposing goalkeeper :-) If he doesn't own up or claims not to remember, I'll post the details in a few days.

"Would it be possible to provide some career stats and any interesting info that I could embarrass him with?"

You could remind him of the time he conceded a goal to the opposing goalkeeper :-) If he doesn't own up or claims not to remember, I'll post the details in a few days.

At Somerset Park 1980/81?

Also Stuart was nicknamed "Auld Clatterhaunds" by the Ayr fans.

Guest shiredownunder
At Somerset Park 1980/81?

Also Stuart was nicknamed "Auld Clatterhaunds" by the Ayr fans.

Spot on! Jan 3rd, 1981, 3-3 draw played in a gale force wind throughout. It was so bad, corner kicks were being blown over the roof behind the goal and out of the ground. Playing against the wind in the first half, Shire could barely get across the half way line and I don't think Rennie even touched the ball. Second half, our keeper Charlie Kelly punted one clearance down field, bounced maybe 25 yards from goal, Rennie was out around the penalty spot and the ball went over his head, he got a faint touch on it but it went in. Ground announcer announced it as "Rennie og" but all the papers gave it to Kelly. Only time I've ever seen it in 35 years watching the game.

• 3 years later...

Think I remember him playing for Edinburgh City after Spartans! Can anyone else remember this old scrote?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Correct Grumpy - Stewart played for Edinburgh City for a few seasons - late 80's/early 90's - funny you should say 'old scrote' because Big Basil was famous for his worn and tattered vintage Y-Fronts he wore for matches - survivors from his Falkirk days I believe !

Despite his 'senior citizen' status he was easily still the best keeper in the East of Scotland League at that time.

Incidentally - he could more than hold his own as an outfield player too ! And a top bloke to boot.

Mr Rennie also coached Edinburgh City on two occasions- the latter as assistant to Charlie Kivlin. His laddie Callum also played as a striker for City and was last heard of playing for Easthouses Lily in the East of Scotland League.

I think Stuart had a good Civil Service job and didn't want to risk that going full time- my 'well supporting mate said that Motherwell would sign a full time keeper every season, find out said keeper was shite and go back to putting the part timer Rennie in goals for the rest of the season!

Bump and a half Doigy99. Did you search on Rennie and find this thread?

....I think Stuart had a good Civil Service job and didn't want to risk that going full time...

Indeed, that's how I knew him. I think he retired a few years ago. Good lad, pleasure to work alongside.

I remember Stuart as an excellent goalie with Falkirk. Cowden and Falkirk had titanic tussles back in the 1969-71 era when both clubs were promoted together. In fact tomorrow night there is a reunion of the 1970 Cowden team in Cowdenbeath. 10,000 crowds at both Central Park and Brockville for our 2nd division clashes back then!

• 1 month later...

Bump and a half Doigy99. Did you search on Rennie and find this thread?

Indeed, that's how I knew him. I think he retired a few years ago. Good lad, pleasure to work alongside.

Swarley - correct - was retelling (ie lying) some stories from Edin City days and Stewart's name came up - thought I'd have a search for him !

• 5 years later...

Hi Swarley, I know this is an old thread but just came across it while searching on Stuart. There are a number of cards, facts and articles if you checkout these twitter posts - hope they are still of interest to you?

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=stuartrennie%20scotsfootycards&src=typd

Cheers

SFC

Archived